removal of headlights

Snakes709

Ok im readiing the tech rules and all of that. I'm a little confused on a part. For the racing school the rules say to remove all glass parts, ie headlights, mirrors and whatnot OR tape them up. But then it says for race weekends they must be removed, no taping allowed? Is that correct? I'm looking through some pictures of the races throughout 2010 and im seeing alot of bikes with taped up headlights. Can someone touch on that for me. Thanks

yak

Hi

The race school tech rules are different then the race weekend tech rules. Basically, the race school tech rules are the same as track days; in those cases taping up the headlights and other glass and brittle plastic is sufficient. For race weekends the rules are as per the "rule book" and as you have seen in Section 5.2 your headlight etc must be removed.

The basic principle is that we want the race school to be as accessible as possible, but if you are committing to racing then all street related gear that may impact safety or complicate the clean-up process post crash must be removed.

With respect to any pictures in 2010 that you saw with headlights taped up this would have only been on track days or at the race school.

Regards,

Todd

Snakes709

ok, stupid question, whats the difference between track days and race days? Also im seeing mixed info about textie suits. I have a textie jacket and pants that zip together. I see on the race school info leathers are perferred but textie are allowed, but then on a few posts i see alot of guys saying not to wear them.

Thanks

jetfixer15

Track days are recreational riding around the track for both street riders and racers. Race days are for licenced racers to participate in competitive club racing.

The EMRA rulebook (for racing) states:

4.2 Riding Suit, Back Protector, Gloves and Boots
• Suits must be of leather.
• Suits must be either one-piece or two-piece. If a two-piece suit is worn the jacket and pants must be securely
fastened to each other over their full circumference.

The reason textile suits are allowed for track days and the race school are the same reason Todd stated previously about different bike requirements for the race school/track days as opposed to racing, which is to make it as accessible as possible for people. That way they don't have to spend a good amount of money on gear to attend the race school or track days. The reason you may have seen unfavorable posts abouot textile suits is that they do not provide the same level of protection as leather and are basically good for one crash as they tend to rip and wear faster and easier during a crash than leather. Textile suits don't usually fit as snugly as leather which can result in the armoured sections to move around during a crash which can result in critical areas not getting adequate protection and can also cause rub rash.

Snakes709

Makes sence. I tend to get everything needed to attend race days, however, before i go and do that i want to see what the outcome on the deal will be with the track being for sale. I would hate to spend $1000+ on leathers, $1000+ on racing fairings and paint. Plus the fee for racing school, then have the track close down. On top of that, with me being in the army, iiunno how many races ill be able to attend.

M87

Come out and do a track day. Make sure you follow the rules for track day prep.
Most people find the first couple of sessions intimidating and there is a chance of information overload but you will be in a group led by an experienced rider.
After that is out of the way you will know whether you are ready for race school.
While there is a ton of benefits to race school I think you will find you learn more if it isn't also your first time on the track.
Make sure you wear gear that you will be comfortable in sliding along the pavement. I am not sure of the actual stats but riders do fall from time to time on track days and those wearing the best gear seem to fall less.
Once you get to the track there will be plenty of people to help you with advice.

Snakes709

thanks for the info guys. I been on the track with my 370z so i know the layout, however i've never raced my bike so its going to be alot different. Is there going to be any track days before the 2010 race school? If i can get leathers before then i will. But between now and May I need quite a few things between my bike, truck and gifts for my gf for x-mas, anny. and her bday. So im hoping that ill find a nice set of leathers for a good price at the bike show.

thanks for the info guys. I been on the track with my 370z so i know the layout, however i've never raced my bike so its going to be alot different. Is there going to be any track days before the 2010 race school? If i can get leathers before then i will. But between now and May I need quite a few things between my bike, truck and gifts for my gf for x-mas, anny. and her bday. So im hoping that ill find a nice set of leathers for a good price at the bike show.

Just a suggestion. If you have been riding for a while and comfortable on your bike, before you start racing, you could sign up for one of Fireman's On Track Performance (OTP) training days. Do the level 1 to get started and then if you like it (which you will) do the level 2. Great way to start with the basics and LEARN in a paced and controlled envirnoment.

Fireman

The OTP school allows you to get your licence after the fact by getting a rider checkout through the emra. The curriculum is very close to the emra's. I created this school initially to allow riders to get thief licenses after the school on may with the emra.

Snakes709

Ok thanks, this gives me a few more options and a better timeline incase i have to work...well maybe, might be in afghanistan in June/July