Rider Air Bag Protection

schoey

So did anyone know that these types of systems are available?

http://www.eggparka.com/english/lineup/index.html

They are located in North Vancouver. I was able to try a few vests on and found that they are all a comfortable fit. I couldn't even feel that it was on. The only difference I found is each model's air bags are positioned a little different in the vest.

I have one now and might be crash testing one sometime through the WMRC race season. It might be the best investment I ever made. It's a no-brainer people. You race, you will crash.

Yep, I started out riding with an "Helite" (pronounced "elite") air vest. It passes the EU standard and is great for the street (saved me once when my bike landed on me and my testimonial is on the Helite website). It deployed again when I low-sided in turn 1 a couple years ago and I was immobilized for about a minute (lying there like the Michelin Man) before it deflated enough that I could move. I was told it was not allowed on the track because of the CO2 cartridge. I was also told by an EMRA official that passive safety devices (e.g. helmet, chest protector, back protector, etc.) are actually safer for the track. The neck bladder fills in 0.08 sec (80 msec) and the entire vest (C-spine to coccyx, chest, and kidney areas) fills before you hit the ground. There are some knock-offs that don't deploy quickly enough, but others like the Dainese Airbag Suit offer real protection. They're not cheap, but I can attest to how effective they are. Replacement CO2 cartridges are also pricey @ $80 ea. Hope this helps.

Last edited: