Round 5, greasy?

Racin Jason

I myself didn't feel that it was greasy at all.
Matt I was watching the race you crashed in. I gotta say you guys put on a very entertaining show.
Your crash seemed like a case of hard racing and a racing contact incident to me. Too many bikes trying to occupy the same small piece of asphalt. The motard (Danny?) clipped your front wheel and down you went.
Sorry to hear about the collarbone.
Heal up quick man.

DMesher

During practice on Saturday I did 15 or so laps on race slicks in the rain with the BMW traction control system set to RAIN Mode. Without going into the technical details I was interested in assessing the track friction numbers under those severe conditions. What I found was (in comparison to similar data collected earlier in the year) that the bike's recorded telemetry data from the traction control system reported adhesion levels that were different (lower) compared to earlier in the year.

On Saturday, the 'slipperiest' spots were between turn 3 and 4 and between turns 8 and 9. At the time I was doing my laps, the traction control system intervened almost as soon as I apexed at turn 3 until I apexed at turn 4 and from 8 until the apex at 9. And I was riding just a smidgen on the aggressive side of sensible (for my level of skill ;-) given the conditions.

FWIW, I was surprised at the apparent difference in the surface friction numbers for this round...

Darel

Blaknwite

During practice on Saturday I did 15 or so laps on race slicks in the rain with the BMW traction control system set to RAIN Mode. Without going into the technical details I was interested in assessing the track friction numbers under those severe conditions. What I found was (in comparison to similar data collected earlier in the year) that the bike's recorded telemetry data from the traction control system reported adhesion levels that were different (lower) compared to earlier in the year.

On Saturday, the 'slipperiest' spots were between turn 3 and 4 and between turns 8 and 9. At the time I was doing my laps, the traction control system intervened almost as soon as I apexed at turn 3 until I apexed at turn 4 and from 8 until the apex at 9. And I was riding just a smidgen on the aggressive side of sensible (for my level of skill ;-) given the conditions.

FWIW, I was surprised at the apparent difference in the surface friction numbers for this round...

Darel

aha...I knew it!! Interesting stuff. How did exit Turn 1 look? 1 and 2 were where I felt the action.

I tried to check the telemetry on the SV but the lollipop stick had snapped off in the spokes.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
My 600RR's telemetry and traction control system could only tell me that it was raining. Useless system, I think I may have overpaid that guy in the alley behind Tim's.

sand.man

My keen intellect and razor sharp senses alerted me to the reduced coefficient of friction between my tires and the asphalt, particularly when temperatures were between the 24-27 degrees Celsius range.

.... Also, there was oil all over the track and I saw it with my eyeballs.

Blaknwite

My keen intellect and razor sharp senses alerted me to the reduced coefficient of friction between my tires and the asphalt, particularly when temperatures were between the 24-27 degrees Celsius range.

.... Also, there was oil all over the track and I saw it with my eyeballs.

Call me a Luddite but I think racing would be much better again if we had to turn all these new fangled upgrades OFF! Eyeballs FFS, whatevers next? Controlling the Go Juice with your right hand?

Ducbert

Track felt solid, I on the other hand needed another couple inches. But don't we all a times....

piglet

I only ran a handful of laps on Saturday. Once I put on a new set of rubber on race morning, I had no problem with traction. I ran the best races of my career... so far :)

DMesher

LOL...hilarious. Responses ranged from interest to blasphemy...spent the last 28 years of my career designing, implementing and using systems for the assessment of vehicle tire/pavement surface interactions including ride/roughness, cross-fall+geometry, and friction. My interest is scientific - call it an occupational hazard.

Just thought I would share my observations based on the data. My wife keeps reminding me that not many others give a S&^T. I now return you to your regularly scheduled program..... *:cool:

Schramm

Darel, are you on the S1000RR? As an engineer I find telemetry really cool. Good on you for bringing it to the track. I think people just see it as an extra expense that really might not help out at the club level (or maybe as an extra advantage?).

Steve, I'm with you, although I've never had traction control or launch control or quickshift before. But I have fun.