Safety Castrol racetrack

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by Julien, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Julien

Julien New Member

Julien
    Now that the full racing schedule has been released and confirmed can someone from the executive confirm that the safety modification requested by the Emra have been completed and confirmed?

I am talking about the safety modifications that we were told were a mandatory change and would be a basis for not running 2019 racing season if not completed (move off wall turn 1, removal or wall turn 3, removal of tombstone turn 4, move of wall turn 11 and so on).

2. blam

blam Administrator

Brian Lam
    I'm not exec, so I am a bit out of the loop, but i believe these changes have not happened as of the AGM. with the festival of lights running i doubt they were able to do anything.

they have removed fencing poles from turn 1, but have not moved the wall yet
    wall 3 cannot be removed.
    tombstones are likely still being used for the festival of lights
    and turn 11 wall has not been moved.

I do firmly feel turn 1 will be done for season start, as will the tombstones and other poles being removed/cut short.

3. fast316

fast316 EMRA Executive Member

Hi Julien, a few things. First, glad to see you have an interest in improving safety, do you plan on racing with the club next season? Just curious because I thought I saw that you were moving and selling your race bike?

Second, on the topic of what has been done at Castrol raceway, this was discussed in great length during the AGM by all the members present. Minutes will be posted ASAP, but as you can see our website is also currently undergoing construction to better suit our members. Long story short, to answer your question as best I can, the turn 1 wall has been partially removed, other changes remain in the works, the EMRA executive has reached an agreement with Castrol raceway that satisfies our requests so far to the point we are able to confirm our 2019 race dates. The construction schedule remains a fluid one as we are clearly in the middle of winter. The EMRA members and executive is and always has been committed to making racing as safe as we can and we will always continually improve this.

Third, I have to say the information you have is not accurate "move off wall turn 1, removal or wall turn 3, removal of tombstone turn 4, move of wall turn 11 and so on." and the spread of misinformation in this case has led you to make false assumptions and false promises. Just like any news we get these days it is up to us as individuals to question the source, accuracy and motives of the information we get.

Last, Please remember the EMRA, it's executives and all it's members are just a bunch of guys and girls with a love for motorcycle racing, that just want to put on and be a part of the best racing we can.

Sk8sloppy, Framer and electrobiker86 like this.
  4. electrobiker86

electrobiker86 Active Member

David
    Thanks for the update, the days are getting longer...

5. Julien

Julien New Member

Julien
    Ok i’ll answer point by point as well.

-Not that it matters to this whole topic but yes i plan on making it to a couple rounds.

-Minutes were posted mid December but since taken down (due to website work). I had a chance to read them but the level of detail regarding safety improvements is vague. I couldn’t personally make it to the Agm and believe me i tried.

-If my information are a trail of misinformation it would be appreciated if you could set the record straight and list exactly what what requested, what was done, what is to be done.

To finish i want to say that Sean was my best friend and it is partially why i take this matter at heart. I would hate to see anyone hurt again due to negligence.
    I fully understand that the EMRA is run by a bunch of guys and girls (like you said) but that may also be where it falls short. The track hasn’t been as safe as it can be. The club was fully aware that the post were a major hasard, the club did nothing about it and i would hate to see the same type of scenario happen again.

6. DEFBOY35

DEFBOY35 Well-Known Member

Shane C Fraser
    I agree it did come across very vague in the minutes. The only thing clear at the agm was that we want to see changes and that very little has been done at this point.

I think having a dedicated thread as to what was requested and initially agreed upon by Castrol would be a good thing so all membership can be on board. Not everyone is able to attend the agm. And as already said wasn't very clear in the minutes which are not accessible at the moment.

As for us racing in the past. We all knew what we were dealing with and constantly tried to have improvements made. And have done what we could as a club to try and improve what we could on our own. Including removing poles. Unfortunately it wasn't enough with hindsight being what it is. That being said. It has been an item that Castrol was well aware of and should have dealt with sooner. It hurts us all that it came to the loss of Sean.

It will be important that the racing community and the track day community stay strong together if we hope for any improvements to be completed.

electrobiker86 likes this.
  7. SetUpSixRR

SetUpSixRR EMRA Executive Member

Hi Julien, I've responded within your quote... you might have to click to expand it to see my thoughts.