Safety wire options

Just wondering if anyone has ran this type of safety wiring setup before. Any issues with EMRA tech?

Found here:
http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/showthread.php?11452-Safety-Wire-101

calipers.jpg

Fireman

I have had this on my bikes before. So has fred jolivet and others. If it is OK for the AMA, it is probably OK for us.

nac.00

EMRA Executive Member
Staff member
thats how i run my wiring on things that i remove often...axles pinch bolts, etc etc

Dean

The WMRC supports that safety wiring also! I run it on my bikes. The only club in our area that doesn't allow it is the WMRRA (Seattle Club), and we've no idea why.

Planepower

Just a note on safety wiring (coming from an aviation background);
Taken from "Acceptable Methods, Techniques and Standards"
The word safetying is a term universally used in the aircraft industry. Briefly, safetying is defined as: “Securing by various means any nut, bolt, turnbuckle etc., on the aircraft so that vibration will not cause it to loosen during operation.” These practices are not a means of obtaining or maintaining torque, rather a safety device to prevent the disengagement of screws, nuts, bolts, snap rings, oil caps, drain cocks, valves, and parts.
Therefore it should attach in a manner that will pull the fastner in tightening manner.
Personally i don't see the 2 fasteners tightening upon one another in the initial picture. The brake shear bolts could essentially loosen, thereby creating a danger (just my 2 cents).
As for safety wiring the tails of hose clamps, i have tested and tried that and have proven to myself and others that it is completely ineffective. It is very easy to loosen the worm screw portion of the clamp (screw head) rendering the sealing of the hose ineffective.

Attachments

• Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

YZF1000jon

In my opinion (not necessarily that of the club), the outright strength and ability of the wire/fasteners to prevent loosening is secondary to the likliehood that people will rarely do a final prep on a part (like wiring) without making sure it's either torqued or at least tightened. It is a very visual indication to Tech that it has been taken care of, and is as safe as it can be made. Most of the time I've forgotten to wire something, I've also neglected to tighten it too.:eek:

Safety wiring the tail of the clamp? I use those as something to wire to, but to prevent the clamp from loosening I'd think the screw head would be the way to go about that.

MyTTwin

I've been asking around for these as well....

Stay tuned as there might be a group buy on these soon from one of the vendors...

yak

I bought some at Edmonton Nut and Bolt in the past that worked for me. You may have to ask at the counter for the ones as small as are needed for this application.

Regards,

Todd

YZF1000jon

Thanks Todd, I checked Princess Auto, Edmonton Fasteners, and Gregg, but their smallest was still bigger than I wanted. I'll swing by the south side in a few days. Gotta pick up the bike and hope the rain stops, Friday night practice starts.

Planepower

If youre still interested, head to Goulet Aircraft Supply and ask for AN416-2 pins, you can also pick up lockwire and pliers as needed.

YZF1000jon

Goulet doesn't stock the -2's so I picked up a small bag of -1's. Will install them tonight, if I have enough drill bits to widen the holes slightly. :rolleyes: