Snell 2010?????

I was going to buy a new Arai corsair v. So we need a Snell 2010 rating helmet next year to race. But I heard from an Arai rep that there was no difference with the 2005 and 2010 Snell Corsair V's. So is it ok to race with the Snell 2005. Want to make sure before I buy.

YZF1000jon

If it says 2005 it will only be accepted for this year. Whether the standards change or not, it's the only way we can make sure helmets are current and not past the recommended 5 year lifespan (recommended by the manufacturers).

M87

According to Snell the major difference between 2010 and 2005 is that in the 2010 model they use a different weight head in the size medium and smaller helmets that reflect the actual weight of those heads.
That means that if you have a size large or larger helmet there is not a significant improvement in a Snell 2010 helmet but if you have a medium or smaller the 2010 will be safer.
Arai helmets may have already met the 2010 standard with the Corsair but to imply that a Snell 2010 is no safer than a Snell 2005 is not correct.

racer51

Old helmet?

How exactly does a helmet loose its ability to protect just because it's older than 5 years?

sand.man

They say the hard foam which does most of the protecting deteriorates and becomes brittle from heat/sweat/UV, also if you leave your helmet on your tank after a ride, the gas cap may vent into your helmet and I'm not sure if you know what gasoline does to styrofoam...

My helmet was just made last year. If it was the only way to make sure the helmets are no more than 5 years old why not just look at the manufacture date as some new helmets just got made with the snell 2005 rating just as the new 2010 rating came out. Just an idea. I had a helmet when I was racing Mini's that was made in 2001 and it had gone through at least 10 head collisions and to me it never lost its ability to protect me. :D

Limbo

Motorcycle helmets are not made in the same fashion as a hockey helmet that can sustain multiple impacts. Motorcycle helmets protect us with materials that deform on impact; this is a one time one way process. As far as Snell 2010, the decal is much more visible than the date code on all the helmets I have personally seen, so if that makes tech inspection faster and life easier for the volunteers I am all for it. We all have ~340 days to find a new helmet, skip Starbucks a couple times a week untill next season and buy that new Arai.

I had a helmet when I was racing Mini's that was made in 2001 and it had gone through at least 10 head collisions and to me it never lost its ability to protect me. :D
:eek:Are you sure?

Last edited:

Fireman

These are the rules of every organized Road racing club in North America. It is this way because Racing organizations require insurance to operate. Insurance Companies require rules and regulations to assume the risk. This is how we mitigate these obstacles.

We allow the one year leeway for our members convenience. It gives members a year to save for a new helmet, which is without a doubt the most important piece of protective equipment one will buy.

Planepower

So, my fancy dandy new Shoie x-eleven that's only 1 yr old (manufacturing date) will no longer be good enough to use next year? (snell 2005 approval)
I guess it's going to take more than a few missed starbucks to come up with $1000 :(

Fireman

So, my fancy dandy new Shoie x-eleven that's only 1 yr old (manufacturing date) will no longer be good enough to use next year? (snell 2005 approval)
I guess it's going to take more than a few missed starbucks to come up with $1000 :(

Did you really pay 1000 for it heiko? Cause I bet you got a god deal on it. Lie a blow out kind of deal. The x12 is here for just that reason. It meets the new criteria.

Planepower

Your absolutely correct Justin - but next year is 2011 - i doubt i will get such a smoking deal on a 2010 helmet. But i understand insurance requirements - non-negotiable.
Just means no engine work for winter of 2010 ;P

plus im just a whiner....
or is it weiner? lol

Fireman

Lol that is why those $1000 helmets were on sale for $400. Every distributor in the world wants to liquidate old stock.

These are the rules of every organized Road racing club in North America. It is this way because Racing organizations require insurance to operate. Insurance Companies require rules and regulations to assume the risk. This is how we mitigate these obstacles.

We allow the one year leeway for our members convenience. It gives members a year to save for a new helmet, which is without a doubt the most important piece of protective equipment one will buy.

We should go under the same insurance as calgary. THEY ONLY NEED HELMETS THAT MEET OR EXCEED SNELL 2000!:confused:

Spooner

We should go under the same insurance as calgary. THEY ONLY NEED HELMETS THAT MEET OR EXCEED SNELL 2000!:confused:

I'm wondering why people continue to bitch & moan / whine / complain, about a piece of equipment, that is the BEST item to save one's life?!?!?!

If your interested in racing, its going to cost much of your free cash, plus more. Also, you can buy a sweet helmet (Eg New Shoei RF-1100) for similar price to what your going to buy A set of tires for...

Yea weiner-winer, I seem to remember somebody winning a FREE X11 helmet at the EMRA banquet the year before last :cool:

Bahahaha!!! Busted!

~S

YZF1000jon

We're just smarter than them:p
Snell helmets or some european standard helmets can be found for a couple hundred bucks, I'd love a shoei or another arai, but for racing (planned obsolescence, and crash likelihood) My Snell KBC will be replaced with the same.

Juan42

Guys, it's not a certainty that we'll stop accepting M2005 next season...maybe, maybe not. It will be decided at the end of 2010 when we look at the rule book for 2011.

Brain transplants are not cheap.:rolleyes:

sv-racing-parts

Snell 2010

:) I think it is important for tech and the rules committee to remember that many of the helmets being produced and sold in 2010 were in fact Snell 2005 certified, not Snell 2010. So a good number of members have very new helmets, certified to Snell 2005.

In 2011, Snell 2010 will pretty much be the standard for any new production.

Lots of our riders look to pick up quality helmets at affordable prices during this time of year and production cycle.

Requiring everyone to have Snell 2010 certified helmets in 2011 means that a significant portion of the membership would all be required to purchase New Snell 2010 Certified helmets at the beginning of the new certification cycle when they are the most expensive, rather than allowing the carry over year for Snell 2005.

I would suggest that allowing Snell 2005 approved helmets for 2011 and going mandatory Snell 2010 certification for 2012 is the fairest and most practical answer to the question,

Hopefully the exec can make a decision on it soon, as the annual end of season sell offs on great helmets at superb prices is in full swing right now,

Safety is always good, no question, and the Snell 2005 bar certainly takes safety seriously,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

Last edited:

Lehbs

Hi I just wanted to start by thanking the EMRA for a great WCC Weekend. It was my first time up to the track and had a blast. I have a quick question relating to the Helmet issue. I had mine questioned during tech as it is certified to BSI rather than SNELL. I noticed in the rulebook that BSI is recognized, but I believe that BSI 8858 has not been updated since 2002 as far as I know. As many of us from the CMRA will likely be making the trip next year to race, I don't want to be stuck trying to find a helmet that fits my odd shaped melon. It was bought new last year, and I am hoping to get a longer use out of it.