SV case gaurds

Jason Henton

SV case guards

Last year I ran my 1st gen SV with stock cases, I do have frame sliders, and I passed tech. (maybe by accident?) Will this pass again or do I have to upgrade? What would classify as suitable reinforcement?

Last edited:

jetfixer15

The EMRA rulebook ( section [FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]5.2 Equipment Standards – General)
states:

Engine case covers must be suitably reinforced, or be of heavy duty type specifically intended for racing use.
Alternate suitable protection for engine cases, such as frame mounted sliders, may be permitted (subject to suitability
and at the discretion of the Chief Technical Inspector) where suitable aftermarket reinforcement or race specific
covers are not commercially available.

There are commercially available aftermarket engine case covers for the SV650's, however, the SV's narrow V-Twin engine coupled with frame sliders will keep the engine well clear of the track surface when on it's side (I have unfortunately tested this personally a few times). Many of the Tech Inspectors are aware of this and will use their discretion when doing the tech inspection on an SV.

The addition of an engine case guard on your SV would be another layer of defence against the track surface, in the case of the frame slider failing (like being bent down as the bike slides on it's side accross track curbing).
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Jason Henton

Ok, Thats what I figured. Other than aftermarket, What would be a suitable way to reinforce the cases? What are they even made of? Could a guy add some fiberglass or carbon fibre to the outside of the stockers? Weld an aluminum block to them? Ideas?

jetfixer15

The OEM SV case covers may be difficult to weld due to their metal composition, as it's not pure aluminum or pure steel. I used an industrial adhesive to put aluminum reinforcement blocks on my side case covers. I am considering drilling two holes in the side case to permanently mount the aluminum block. The two holes will have to be sealed once the hardware is in place to prevent any oil leakage. I might just go the easy way and buy an aftermarket case cover with reinforcement on it though, depends on how ambitious I feel. Fiberglass and carbon fiber case guards have been made before and usually bolt over top of the case cover using the same bolt locations (longer bolts substituted).