SV Engine cover swap

Blaknwite

Swapping the engine cover (thanks Blair) to install Woodcraft clutch cover. Seems that I will need to move the circlip and pull the gear for the water pump to make the switch. Any tips?
Thanks

Dean

yup, make sure you have spare circlips. Those things fly when they come off. piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!

I'm actually thinking of swapping mine back to stock. After the change over, the entire cover is actually BEHIND the frame and only the extended woodcraft slider goes beyond the frame making the mod not very effective for its intent. It also raises the sight glass for oil on the 2nd gen bikes. This makes it very easy to overfill. Once that is done, it shoots oil up into your airbox under load. Even more so, it can blow off the breather tube depending on the age of the rubber of the tube and the hose clips. It make one helluva mess for me and almost took out my first race weekend.

Now, when I change the oil, I make sure I fill the oil filter until it is good and full. Then from there, I had to carefully measure out 2300ml to make sure that I did not overfill the engine.

On the plus side, when you change your clutch pack, you don't lose much oil at all with the change. Since I change it once per year, it's not that big of a bonus for me, but not seeing my oil level feels like a massive faux pas to me. Luckily, I change it after every race weekend, so I know that the levels are now good, so the sight glass doesn't really matter in that respect. It just feels weird to look at it and not know where it's at. It also caused me some grief at a US track where they insisted the bike needed to have proper oil in the sight glass...It took me 20 minutes to explain to the head tech, and provide pictures to convince them that I was okay to have it like that.

I'm only keeping it on to be able to compete in Blair's contingency program.

Blaknwite

Cheers Dean. I read the sightglass stuff last week (here I think) and so measured and marked what I assume be the new full line. Slightly above the E mark on the 1st gen cover, match your opinion?

sv-racing-parts

Check out Steve Robertsons discussion in the SV Racing Parts Cup Announcement thread, He describes how to use the L as your new line to view very well,

It is a good idea to use larger tubing off of your breathers and Run them at a good length to a remote breather filter so as give you bike, especially overbore bikes a way to keep oil from coming up into your air box and your engine will breathe better from that perspective.

You then silicone off the breather holes in the bottom of your air box.

Oil coming up into the air box is an ongoing issue with all the Suzuki Twins,

Come see me on the weekend and I will talk to you about how to do it quick and easy,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

Dean

If you measure your oil carefully, none will blow out the tubes. I did not have the problem before, and now that I measure, the problem has gone away. I found on my build, that the proper amount of oil was actually below the sight class on a 2008 engine. If I tilt the bike slightly to the right, I can barely see the oil hit the glass.

By measuring instead of just filling to the L mark, I can make sure that my oil will not blow out due to over pressure. It only takes 10 seconds to measure it out. I use Motul 300V 15/50 oil in her.

sv-racing-parts

Measuring is always a good idea and you are completely correct that overfill is the root of the oil coming up the tubes issue for the most part.

Where many people on track bikes get oil coming up is in the getting on and then off the gas hard in race situations,

I do like the idea of correctly measuring instead of just pouring,

See you soon,

Best regards,
Blair

Dean

Sadly, I can't make the first round, but I sure as hell plan to be out there for Round 2, 3, 4, and 6&7!

Blaknwite

If you measure your oil carefully, none will blow out the tubes. I did not have the problem before, and now that I measure, the problem has gone away. I found on my build, that the proper amount of oil was actually below the sight class on a 2008 engine. If I tilt the bike slightly to the right, I can barely see the oil hit the glass.

By measuring instead of just filling to the L mark, I can make sure that my oil will not blow out due to over pressure. It only takes 10 seconds to measure it out. I use Motul 300V 15/50 oil in her.

Decided to give her a quick "top up" during round 2. Thoroughly coated everything in Motul 15/50 :mad: the good stuff mind you and blew the hoses off as Blair described so decided to follow your detailed instructions.
K&N filter held 250ml plus the 2300 recommended meant I saved 150 ml from squirting everywhere on the 12th. There is no way that filter would hold 400ml.