SV engine sputtering - suggestions?

jetfixer15

I don't have my SV carb notes handy, but I am pretty sure the needle clip goes on the third one down with one spacer on top. The factory Pro and Dynojet kits are almost identical, both needles will work the same as their taper profiles match.

You need Mikuni N102/221 main jets for the SV Gen 1 carbs. The size range available covers any size you will need. I have many SV main jets at home. I will check to see what sizes I have and let you know.

racer51

Needle jet clip position

All the references say the third position is the starting point for the clip. I'm also told carbs will make me fat...

Last edited:

YZF1000jon

If you are short on jets we stock those, we'll have to check on sizes for you if you like, they're $5 each before EMRA discount.

YZF1000jon

umm, not really, some fancy jets are more, but most are between $5-$9, pilots are different, and having ones to compare in hand make life much easier. No scam, just what we have at the dealership, same with shims, we sell singles from a Hotcams kit for $5 each or we stock the whole kit. Looking for something we may be able to help. We even have parts in a fast SV out there sponsored by another dealership, but I won't mention names in order to protect the identity of the innocent. ;)

racer51

GR8 price on Jets

Hi, Jon.

Thanks for the post. You might save me $3/jet plus postage! I need Mikuni N102/221 152.5 main jets for the SV Gen 1 carbs. I've been advised to stick with brand names like Mikuni and Kehein. Do you carry those?

Do you have a carb sync tool for under $50?

I'll drop the shop on Thursday after work.

Last edited:

jetfixer15

Rick: I checked my supply of spare main jets. I have 150 and 155 mains but no 152.5s. I think the spare 152.5s I had are residing in another SV.

Last edited:

YZF1000jon

We have 5 of the 152.5's here, retail $4.50 stamped with the Mikuni stamp. If I'm not in make sure you ask for the EMRA 10%.

racer51

Thank you Aaron

Rick: I checked my supply of spare main jets. I have 150 and 155 mains but no 152.5s. I think the spare 152.5s I had are residing in another SV.

Thanks Aaron. You've been a great help. Do you still have those rains you wanted to sell?

jetfixer15

I sold the rains a while ago. Glad I could help Rick. Once your SV is running smooth you will enjoy it more.

racer51

The end of a mystery

I'm happy to announce (and somewhat embarrassed) that I solved the riddle of the sputtering SV.

After extensive main jet swapping and setting of float height, I was no longer convinced I was dealing with a jetting issue. So... I dug a little deeper into the carbs by removing the floats and the in-carb fuel filter. Well, imagine my surprise to find the front carb fuel filter COMPLETELY PLUGGED with rust and sediment. I don't mean just a "little" plugged but a 2mm thick plug of crap. The filter reservoir was also heavily lined with crap. The rear filter was bad but not as bad as the front. Trina Widders helped me clean out the filters in a race against time to get ready for the first race of the day.

After cleaning the filters, the SV had new life and ran much better. Still some minor burps but power throughout the RPM range. I might put the needle jet back to the fourth ring for more mid-range but all in all, I can now learn to ride the bike as it was meant to be.

Thank you everyone for all your help and suggestions. It was great to have all your support.

Cheers!