The REAL trailer questions

Which trailer style is better for motorcycle racers?

• Wide single axle

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Long single axle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wide double axle

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Long double axle

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Barn doors

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Ramp door

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

racer51

Hi, Everyone.

I'm hoping to acquire a covered trailer this year. What are people's opinions/advice on size, axles, door style and other stuff.

Is wider better than longer? (not a sex question)
Is a ramp door much better than barn doors?
Does a person need a tandem axle for a reason?
Do colored trailers really help with the ladies? (kidding)

YZF1000jon

Hi, Everyone.

I'm hoping to acquire a covered trailer this year. What are people's opinions/advice on size, axles, door style and other stuff.

Is wider better than longer? (not a sex question)
Is a ramp door much better than barn doors?
Does a person need a tandem axle for a reason?
Do colored trailers really help with the ladies? (kidding)

How many bikes? and do you prefer side by side (5' isn't quite enough) vs nose to tail?

Ramp doors are just easier than toting extra ramps everywhere.

Tandems are for weight, The mighty RC might need 4 axles ;)
any tandem with 3500lb axles or more needs trailer brakes

Consider height too, you're short enough you may not bonk your head while loading, but check. Stooping while pushing a bike gets old fast.

Check out prices in the US, usually almost HALF of canadian prices.

racer51

He ain't heavy...he's my RC

How many bikes? 2 and do you prefer side by side (5' isn't quite enough) vs nose to tail? side x side

Ramp doors are just easier than toting extra ramps everywhere. Agreed

Tandems are for weight, The mighty RC might need 4 axles ;)
any tandem with 3500lb axles or more needs trailer brakes ROFLMAO...good one!

Consider height too, you're short enough you may not bonk your head while loading, but check. Stooping while pushing a bike gets old fast. I can't ever remember bumping my head...

Check out prices in the US, usually almost HALF of canadian prices.

Comments included above...

My trailer is 5X10 single Rick and while I would love to have a larger tandom etc. the 5x10 is large enough since I haul it with a truck/w canopy I can use the truck for storage too. Myself I prefer the barn doors as it seems easier for my other uses for the trailer besides hauling the bike and having fallen on slippery ramp doors I went the barn door route. If I was going bigger then my 5x10 I would definitely get a tandom. I've heard they tow far easier then a single comparitively.

Fireman

I prefer the ramp door by far. My only regret is not going to a tandem axle. If I were doing it again I would have spent the additional money I think.

PS, I know someone who is selling a very nice 8ft enclosed aluminum for a bargain price if your interested.

racer51

8' alum trailer

I prefer the ramp door by far. My only regret is not going to a tandem axle. If I were doing it again I would have spent the additional money I think.

PS, I know someone who is selling a very nice 8ft enclosed aluminum for a bargain price if your interested.

Hi, Justin...yes, I'm interested...although after your comments, is it a tandem axle?:cool:

Would it be possible for them to post details and pics?

P.S. I'm a cheap sunofabitch...:D

Fireman

I don't think you can get a tandem in that length trailer. Not sure though. So in a nutshell, no it is a single axel 6ft wide and either a 8ft or 10ft trailer. It is a single placement trailer with room for a bench I would say.

I will see if he still has it. If he does I will PM you his number and you 2 can figure things out.

racer51

No costco special

Hey, what about a Costco special...utility trailer.:D For the racer on a budget.

Hi, Juan. I just looked the Costco site and don't see any utility trailers. After I find a covered trailer I'll have a nice open utility trailer for sale....

Juan42

It could be that they sell them in the warehouse only since shipping would be a royal PITA for them.:D

racer51

Shipping & buying from Costco

It could be that they sell them in the warehouse only since shipping would be a royal PITA for them.:D

Costco is awesome...they ship for free anywhere in Canada and they even ship HOT TUBS!! But the say they'll only drop it at your door...

Juan, are you saying you've seen covered trailers at Costco?

Juan42

I haven't seen covered trailers at Costco...just open utility trailers, hence the racer on a budget Costco special.;)