Track Attack Race Class Question

FrozenInCND

Hey Guys and Gals

I have been in the street groups for the last few summers when attending the Track Attack sessions. After attending the race school this last spring, I did one of Vicious cycle track days, and did so in the race class. I was told by one of the members I would not be able to do the race class for EMRA Track Attack events because my bike was not race prepped (wired) even though I would be, and have been allow in the street class. Is this correct? I don't plan to race this year, so do I still have to wire everything?

YZF1000jon

Racer group at Track Attack must have a bike that will pass tech for racing. So safety wire, coolant, silicone on lever nuts, the whole kit and caboodle. And if you're going to do all that, Saturdays are practice all day with three group rotations for $90. Then if you're already there you may as well go racing... ;)

Last edited:

fask

Why go in the racer group before you have a race license? Passing is allowed everywhere and you need to know how to be passed. When one starts racing they begin in novice with fellow novices, all riding at a similar pace. If you step up to racer track group you're going to be instantly dealing with guys/girls cutting minute flat laps. If you're not accustomed to this environment it could pose a threat to everyone on the track. This is the reason why there is a racer group.
I'm not trying to discourage you, (i think it's great that you want to be in this group) I'm suggesting that you should follow the proper channels like everyone else did and get some novice races under your belt.

Regarding the wiring, you should WANT to wire your bike to the fullest extent. I have probably re-wired my brake caliper bolts, front and rear axle + pinch bolts, oil drain, oil filler, oil dip stick, oil filter, and countless other bolts atleast fifteen times this season. Every single time I have taken care and pride in my work knowing that I have helped to not only maintain the quality of stratotech park, but also ensure the safety of all whom I share the track with. Sure wiring up a bike for the first time isn't easy but it's just what you have to do if you want to play.

I would stick to the street group if you don't plan to race this season. Nothing personal but the racer group is for racers only. They are for race practice and that's why the session times are different. I didn't plan on racing again this year and so I run street group, even though I still have my license/numbers. It's courtesy for racers who are trying to turn some hot laps and not have to worry about lapping someone on street tires/fast street pace.

On top of that, at some of the track days there may only be one race group. It will be like jumping from the kiddie pool to the shark tank if you are used to fast street and suddenly have expert class riding around you. It would definately be dangerous.

Last edited:

Planepower

I would think it would be a bit intimidating for all. Us as racers have become accustomed to one another and depending on your pace, are used to faster people passing where one would least expect it. If there were someone in race practice not used to that it could spook them to change line inadvertently or do something unpredictable - potential for error is higher. I would hate to have someone rear end me or cause them to run off track.
Just something to think about - we do this for fun and have to report to our careers the next day. There's very few of us that can collect an income from racing.