Turn 1 Barriers - Safety Issue

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
In the immediate future we will be organizing a group of volunteers to go over all the air fence and inspect them for damage, send anything out for repairs that's needs it. We will also be setting up our new air fence storage trailer and cleaning out the old trailers and tower in preparation for winter storage. The date for this will probably be first weekend of October.

As for anything major I have nothing new, we been in communication with management at Castrol raceway, they understand our concerns, will continue to try and get the changes we want to see. I am optimistic. :)

M87

I don't want to hijack this post since most people, including me, agree that turn 1 is the biggest problem but I'd like some input on turn 3.
I recently visited the Lightning track in New Jersey that has a turn similar to our turn 3. There are some differences, they have a grass area outside the turn and the radius is different but when you see it in person it is similar.
On the following videos it is the right hander before the finish straight.
They have run Bike races there:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjSXehuADx4
And they run some pretty fast cars there:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNviuNtL8rM
The thing I noticed was they have a much higher wall than we do, and because its higher it is further off the track. They need a wall because there is actually a road right on the other side of it.
Would it be feasible, and would the car guys go for it, if we wanted a higher wall pushed back 4-5 meters?
I have been looking around and 35 ft telephone poles are readily available for $100 each. Maybe the existing wall could be moved and poles placed at intervals behind it and linked with fencing.
What does everyone think.

Last edited:

DEFBOY35

Honestly Mike when it comes down to it. It is not a matter of what do we think. And to move a wall any further back in turn 3 would equal moving a lot of dirt and from what I have heard in the past is that turn 3 is staying as is. Especially with the fact the bus stop has already been put in place for us.

I think at this time we are better off to concentrate our efforts on corner 1 as they are receptive to working with us on that one !!

S-african

When was the last meeting with Castrol held, and what was said or decided. How do we find out? What do they need in order for this to happen? I feel we should remain proactive on this, before too much snow falls. I know cnr 1 was a big deterrent to National riders wanting to come back, so moving the wall will hopefully appease some of them and aid in our cause to get a National CSBK race in Edmonton again.

In the immediate future we will be organizing a group of volunteers to go over all the air fence and inspect them for damage, send anything out for repairs that's needs it. We will also be setting up our new air fence storage trailer and cleaning out the old trailers and tower in preparation for winter storage. The date for this will probably be first weekend of October.

As for anything major I have nothing new, we been in communication with management at Castrol raceway, they understand our concerns, will continue to try and get the changes we want to see. I am optimistic. :)

M87

Sorry Shane, I wasn't trying to imply that anything is more important or even equally important as reducing the risk in turn 1.
I just saw an opportunity to reduce the risk in another area without a great deal of effort or expense. I agree wholeheartedly that turn 1 is our biggest problem and should have the highest priority.
I just don't believe that turn 3 is as safe as it could be and I see the bus stop as more of a bandaid than a solution.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
When was the last meeting with Castrol held, and what was said or decided. How do we find out? What do they need in order for this to happen? I feel we should remain proactive on this, before too much snow falls. I know cnr 1 was a big deterrent to National riders wanting to come back, so moving the wall will hopefully appease some of them and aid in our cause to get a National CSBK race in Edmonton again.

I'm working on setting up a face to face meeting with Castrol Raceway management in regards to all things 2017. I have sent emails outlining a few proposals I have for them. My plan is to give them an offer they can't refuse for corner 1.

S-african

Thats what I like to hear! Let us know if you need help with anything!

I'm working on setting up a face to face meeting with Castrol Raceway management in regards to all things 2017. I have sent emails outlining a few proposals I have for them. My plan is to give them an offer they can't refuse for corner 1.