Welding frame tabs

Ducbert

Need the old bits of frame tab removed and new ones welded on. Not sure of composition, will find out. But I believe it's chrom steel frame....

Has been suggested on other forums to use a TIG welder...???

Looks like it is better to have a weaker joint using a mild steel rod then a 4130 rod? Stronger weld will yield a brittle zone, plus if the joint is a tad weaker then on impact the frame itself will remain intact.

All makes sense.

Any welder able to speak up or have some time in the next week or two?

Last edited:

Ducbert

They broke in half, so the old welds are in place on the frame. Rear sets looks like they made of soft plastic the way they bent. Wow!

Found tabs not ordered yet, just trying to gather some contacts and info first.

sand.man

I'm fully set up and competent to repair chromoly, aluminum, titanium, stainless, mild steel etc.

Also have straightened many bent rearsets, repaired broken frames, subframes, exhausts, case covers etc. etc.

It's kind of what I do!

If you choose to have someone else repair the frame, have them pre-heat the HAZ of the weld (heat affected zone) to remove moisture and not cause thermal shock to the area. TIG is the only way I would attack it, with a mild steel ER70S-6 filler rod for ductility.

I repaired a crashed supermoto frame this way, and that frame was broken in half with hairline cracks all over it in other areas.

sand.man

P.S. I could also make those frame tabs, unless they are reasonably cheap, that might be a better option for you.

DEFBOY35

ryan can weld some shit!!! some very pretty Ti welding on my stock muffler to Leo vince Can adapter!!!

sv-racing-parts

They broke in half, so the old welds are in place on the frame. Rear sets looks like they made of soft plastic the way they bent. Wow!

Found tabs not ordered yet, just trying to gather some contacts and info first.

:) Hi Norbert, I have several Ducati buddies with the same frame issues as you,

There is a company in the States here not to far from me that manufactures the weld in tab you need for a very good repair.

Ryan would be the guy to do the welding, The name escapes me at the moment but I have emailed my buddy to get me the details,

Everyone with an 848, 1098, or 1198 should get a set of these and have them welded in a preventative maintenance,

I will Email you and post up as soon as I get the reply, They are not expensive at all and will save you from needing to reinvent the wheel on this repair,

Once in on my buddies bike and touch up painted you could not see the difference,

Hope you are recovering and feeling better; That was a tough get off,

Best regards, as always,
Blair

sv-racing-parts

Hi Norbert and all Ducati riders, Frame Tabs is what I was thinking of and drawing a blank on earlier, $29.95 a pair for your bike and a bit of shipping,

Let me know if you want me grab some for you and get them shipped up,

These will fix up your rear set and bending frame tab issues on the Ducati right away,

These fit perfectly, :)

Best regards,
Blair

Attachments

• Ducati Frame Tabs.jpg
    Ducati Frame Tabs.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 7

YZF1000jon

Wow, $30 a pair? Ryan can't even make them that cheap, and he works for beer! :D. But he would definitely be the guy to put them on.

Norbert, you gonna need the bike brought up here for that eventually?