Questions about insurance and registration

krea.tion

Hi, I recently turned my streetbike into a track-only race bike. The question I have is in regards to insurance and registration. I know insurance claims cannot be done on a track but is there any reason to keep insurance on a race bike (theft)? Does it not matter if the bike is unregistered legally? Even though it would be considered an "off-road" vehicle, in the past I still had to insure/register "off-road" vehicles like quads and dirtbikes. Does everyone here race uninsured/unregistered bikes? Thanks.

macbayne

Hi, I recently turned my streetbike into a track-only race bike. The question I have is in regards to insurance and registration. I know insurance claims cannot be done on a track but is there any reason to keep insurance on a race bike (theft)? Does it not matter if the bike is unregistered legally? Even though it would be considered an "off-road" vehicle, in the past I still had to insure/register "off-road" vehicles like quads and dirtbikes. Does everyone here race uninsured/unregistered bikes? Thanks.

read your policy. my house insurance covers my bike while in the garage. my truck insurance used to cover it in transit (truck is old, only liability now). whether it was a registered vehicle or not, it as still an item of value. never registered the machine. i don't think anyone really does.

DMesher

I have all of my bikes insured including my race bike. All are fully covered with the exception of no collision on the race bike. The race bike is covered for fire, theft etc. but am also covered for trailer damage and theft of riding equip etc. and most importantly, I am covered and protected against any damage/injury I cause while riding my Race bike regardless of limits of liability in place at the facilities at which I race. I am insured through Blue Circle and they know that my race bike is not driven on the road and is raced....and anyone who has seen me around an air fence knows why I need coverage for any damage I might cause while racing....

Darel

Last edited:

YZF1000jon

Bikes don't have to be registered, or even register-able to be insured, however most insurance is null and void if any kind of racing is involved, bikes or cars. Unless special racing insurance is what you have.

DEFBOY35

state farm told me that it could be insured for the fire theft vandalism, but would not put any liability on a race bike. asked if they could put it as a off highway vehicle like my dirt bike, or a quad, but something about the vin states it is a street vehicle blah blah.

bayne who are you with? i may need to call them, as i dont believe it is covered under my house insurance if the garage were to burn to the ground.

macbayne

state farm told me that it could be insured for the fire theft vandalism, but would not put any liability on a race bike. asked if they could put it as a off highway vehicle like my dirt bike, or a quad, but something about the vin states it is a street vehicle blah blah.

bayne who are you with? i may need to call them, as i dont believe it is covered under my house insurance if the garage were to burn to the ground.

i am with TD insurance. i have insurance for the value of my home as well as the stuff inside (estimated total, but i have some items specifically listed like some guitars and my bikes) and for potential damage that i may cause to the neighbours. it is pretty much a standard policy. with 2 bikes (only liability on the street ride), tools, and all that jazz out the garage plus all the shit i have inside, i gotta insure more than the value of the home. with that policy, it covers fire, theft, etc.

look up your vehicle policy to see the value of goods transported that it will cover, if at all.