2021 Rule Change discussion

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
One of my favorite threads every year, the Rule Change Discussion thread. Post your proposals here. PLEASE do some research first. Ask yourself before posting, does this make sense, is this fair, two very important questions. PLEASE keep comments and criticisms constructive.

AAAAnnnndd go!

gixxer60_0

I'm not sure if this should be a rule or just a note in the rules that all racers are responsibhle for the proper fit of all race gear. This includes helmets and boots gloves and leathers. If not deemed fit not allowed on track till proven to Tech. This could potentially limit a serious injury and shut down of a race/track day. My 2c

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
Rules change proposals:

Bikes arriving late to gate

Current rule:
75. The gate closes once the lead riders on the warm up lap complete 50% of the racecourse or on instruction by the Starter.

Proposed rule:
75. Riders arriving at the gate after the lead riders have completed 50% of the warm up lap will be held at the gate. They will be permitted to enter the track and proceed to the start grid after the last rider on track passes the gate. Riders arriving at the gate after the last rider on track passes the gate will not be allowed to join the race.

Alternate proposed rule:
75. Riders arriving at the gate after the lead riders have completed 50% of the warm up lap will be held at the gate. They will be permitted to enter the track and proceed to the start grid after the last rider on track passes the gate. Riders arriving at the gate after the last rider on track passes the gate will be allowed to start from the gate, but only after all riders are clear of the first corner.

Operational Flags

Current rule:
Waving Yellow – Indicates a serious hazard on or near the track. Proceed with caution. Passing is not allowed from the flag stations displaying waving yellow until the rider is beyond the incident.

Proposed rule:
Waving Yellow – Indicates a serious hazard on or near the track. Proceed with caution. Passing is not allowed from the flag stations displaying waving yellow (this is a line perpendicular to and crossing the track) until the rider is beyond the incident.

Proposed new rule:
Meatball flag - Indicates that a motorcycle is exceeding the track sound limit. The flag will be pointed at the rider and/or number board displayed with flag indicating rider being signaled.
If this happens to you: You have been disqualified from the race and are required to safely exit the track at the next opportunity.

Formula 112

Current rule:
• The cut-off time is 1:27.9 based on the current lap record of 1:18.5

Proposed rule:
• The cut-off time at Castrol Raceway is 1:27.9 based on the current lap record of 1:18.5
• The cut-off time at Stratotech Park is 1:05.5 based on the current lap record of 0:58.5

electrobiker86

Rules change proposals:

Nice work Steven, i think the meatball flag would be a great addition.

Regarding late to gate / gate starts.
If we are to look at a late to gate rule change, I think it should be workable at any track / configuration, Riders do not pass the gate again at Strato for example. Hopefully we soon have potential to race at more than one venue. Imagine 3 or 4 Alberta tracks soon, OMG.

I think riders meetings say that riders need to be stopped at grid one minute after the first bike grids; perhaps gate should close one minute after the first bike leaves gate.
Starts from gate, I have mixed feelings on, my tires went cold the one time i had to gate start so it was not a great experience.

As written, 75 has a typo that could be addressed if left unchanged.

Sort of a change of topic, sorry; but rule 84 is sort of also a late start rule, written specifically for castrol and seems to state or assume someone will be in the hot pits doing inspections. Just saying this rule could also be part of a late to start conversation, particularly if we aim to have all rules work at any track.

off to work on the snowmobile now...

electrobiker86

Wondering if there would be support for;

No need for a second transponder on 2nd bike, if 2nd bike is to be used within the same class as the racers main bike.
Intent; Racers with Wet / Dry bikes to be used in the same race class could share a transponder.

Rationale; Having a 2nd transponder go unused is wastefull and expensive, riders can only ride one bike per race. Rain showers and cool weather are commonplace which come and go quickly, it is safer easier and faster to swap a transponder to the properly set up bike, than to change tires, brakes and bike set up, potentially multiple times a day.

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
Regarding late to gate / gate starts.
If we are to look at a late to gate rule change, I think it should be workable at any track / configuration, Riders do not pass the gate again at Strato for example. Hopefully we soon have potential to race at more than one venue. Imagine 3 or 4 Alberta tracks soon, OMG.

I think riders meetings say that riders need to be stopped at grid one minute after the first bike grids; perhaps gate should close one minute after the first bike leaves gate.
Starts from gate, I have mixed feelings on, my tires went cold the one time i had to gate start so it was not a great experience.

As written, 75 has a typo that could be addressed if left unchanged.

Sort of a change of topic, sorry; but rule 84 is sort of also a late start rule, written specifically for castrol and seems to state or assume someone will be in the hot pits doing inspections. Just saying this rule could also be part of a late to start conversation, particularly if we aim to have all rules work at any track.

Hi Dave, thanks for the feedback.
I did my best to make sure the proposed rule change is applicable to either Castrol or Stratotech. If we get the opportunity to ride at other tracks, the rule can be adjusted in the future.

I already cleaned up the typo in the 2020 rule book. Thanks.

I have also cleaned up rule 84 to be more generic for either track.

M87

I'm not racing anymore so take this at face value but I have some thoughts here.
Proposed rule:
Waving Yellow – Indicates a serious hazard on or near the track. Proceed with caution. Passing is not allowed from the flag stations displaying waving yellow (this is a line perpendicular to and crossing the track) until the rider is beyond the incident.

With this change I can see people rushing to get a pass done before they reach the flag station. If you already have a situation on the track where a waving yellow is required do you really want someone try to pull a pass immediately before entering that area?
Everyone wants to race but safety is always the number one priority. The purpose of a waving yellow is to slow people down and protect others. If you see a waving yellow, you roll off safely and continue at a cautious pace, knowing that your track position is protected and you will regain any spots you lose by being careful.
My two cents

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
I'm not racing anymore so take this at face value but I have some thoughts here.
Proposed rule:

With this change I can see people rushing to get a pass done before they reach the flag station. If you already have a situation on the track where a waving yellow is required do you really want someone try to pull a pass immediately before entering that area?
Everyone wants to race but safety is always the number one priority. The purpose of a waving yellow is to slow people down and protect others. If you see a waving yellow, you roll off safely and continue at a cautious pace, knowing that your track position is protected and you will regain any spots you lose by being careful.
My two cents
Thank you for the feedback. I hear what you are saying, and this was discussed during an exec meeting. I'll try to lay out our thought process here.

In order to enforce penalties, or resolve protests, when a rider makes a pass near a yellow flag, we have to have some sort of defined point at which passing is no longer permitted. We decided to draw that line at the flag station, as it is the only feasible place where it is clear the waving yellow comes into effect.

The conversation included our race director, and the decision was made knowing that she will have to choose which corners display the waving yellow to handle the risk of exactly the kind of behavior you described.
We also decided to adjust the location of some corners to move the flag station further up track, so that the perpendicular line is further away from the corner, and anyone "rushing to get a pass done" won't be doing it in the corner.

Thanks again for the feedback, we appreciate the different perspectives of everyone in the club.

Edit: Corrected some grammar mistakes.

Last edited:

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member

jlitz

As for cleaning up the rule book,
Rule 39 regarding cash and cheque payments should be amended to include msr and speedwaiver if these processes are going to continue next season.

Also in regards to passing under a waving yellow, can we consider adding some context in regards to overtaking lap traffic? It isn't a common occurrence but one that happened to myself since moving to the shorter track and having waived starts. The closing speed approaching a slow rider who is then slowing further due to the flag causes concern especially if a battle is occuring on the lead lap. I don't have a solution on how to write a rule as such but I think it's worth a discussion amongst you fellows with more experience than myself particularly regarding the return of position in this situation.

Thanks to the exec for all your efforts to the club

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
Hi Justin,

I have made a note to update rule 39 regarding acceptable methods of payment and bring this in line with modern payment methods. It doesn't need to be discussed at the AGM, I'll sort it out with Brian Lam.

Regarding the waving yellow and lap traffic. This has come up a couple times over the years, and is somewhat covered under rule 158.e.
158.e
Passing under a waving yellow – the passing rider must recede back to previous position or be disqualified from that event. The no passing for position zone is defined as the location of the waving yellow flag until the incident in question.
The important part to note here is passing for position. As you noted, it is generally more dangerous for a fast rider to slow down to lap traffic speeds, than it is to make a pass. This rule is not really applicable to lap traffic. I agree it is not worded very well. Like you, I am unsure how to improve the wording, and welcome help from anyone who has a suggestion. Please keep in mind that the language in the rule book has to be clear (no room for ambiguity) and concise (we don't have room for a paragraph to address this one item).

Snak

EMRA Executive Member
I propose removing the stock tank requirement from Sportbike rules.

149. f. the stock tank and tank replacement/mounts must be used.

2quickrides

EMRA Executive Member
We can greatly simplify the race class section of the rule book by using SBK rules for everything (most already are) with just the displacement and cylinder limits. It’s the same bikes running each class anyway and nobody is tearing down bikes to inspect them. No point having rules if we can’t enforce them.

DEFBOY35

We can greatly simplify the race class section of the rule book by using SBK rules for everything (most already are) with just the displacement and cylinder limits. It’s the same bikes running each class anyway and nobody is tearing down bikes to inspect them. No point having rules if we can’t enforce them.
Some things like wheels. Fork tubes , triples etc are pretty easy to call though. Calling all the overbores on the other hand is never going to happen.

2quickrides

EMRA Executive Member
Some things like wheels. Fork tubes , triples etc are pretty easy to call though. Calling all the overbores on the other hand is never going to happen.
Even those though, do we expect people to swap them out between Sport and SBK races or do we just want less race entries.

DSmith

The way I read the rulebook, every I4 bike but the ZX6 is legally allowed to be overbored in any classes they're eligible anyways. Depending on how you interpret it the most common regulation violation in 600 SS is probably not having the ram air system from the model year of the frame mounted. Even in clubs with much more strict and complex rulebooks, actual legality is only really a worry for people who don't want to get protested for points.

Superbike rules as written in Lightweight Open would mean Ninja 300s and R3s being classed with MD250Hs, NSF250Rs, RS125s, etc.

Ducbert

I would like to update some of our governing By Laws to reflect social and technical changes. The changes will be in affect for 2021.....

Link to our current By Laws (copy)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...YacfeQKZbtxkEsIijOqLfaTUMoxoRpAxYyDzM8W8N/pub

Under Board of Directors I would like to suggest we add a couple points:
  • 5.a - A member cannot be a member of the Board of Directors for more than 6 consecutive years.
  • 5.b - The general membership may approve and vote on an extension to the 6 year maximum Board Membership term at the AGM, if there are no other candidates available for said position.
Amend, clean up point 6:
  • 6. The Board shall, subject to the bylaws or directions given it by majority vote at any meeting properly called and constituted, have full control and management of the affairs of the society, and meetings of the Board shall be held as often as may be required.
Strike to remove the following from the By Laws:
  • 2010 The number of directors voted in each year changed from 3 to 7.
Add the following to the By Laws:
  • 2020 The number of directors required for the following year is to be decided at the AGM by the exiting Board and General Membership.
Amendment to Line 16:
  • Seven members in good standing shall constitute a quorum at any meeting.
  • New line 16:
  • When 75% or greater of the Board of Directors in good standing, with no conflicts are present, then this shall constitute a quorum at any meeting.
Amendment to Line 17:
  • Voting

Any member who has not withdrawn from membership nor has been suspended nor expelled shall have the right to vote at any meeting of the society. Such votes must be made in person and not by proxy or otherwise.

• New Line 17:
  • Voting

Any member who has not withdrawn from membership nor has been suspended nor expelled shall have the right to vote at any meeting of the society. Such votes must be made in person and/or through if any on-line meeting held by a Board of Director in good standing. Votes may not be made by proxy alone.

Last edited:

Trevor Patrick

EMRA Executive Member
I would like to update some of our governing By Laws to reflect social and technical changes. The changes will be in affect for 2021.....

Link to our current By Laws (copy)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...YacfeQKZbtxkEsIijOqLfaTUMoxoRpAxYyDzM8W8N/pub

A New Section Called "Conflict of Interest" with a few points:
  • Executive members are to disclose any race track related business interests on the attached conflict of interest declaration form to the executive members.
  • Executive members with conflicts of interest will relinquish their right to vote and/or approve funds that are related to their interests outside of the club.

Attachments

• EMRA Conflict of Interest Declaration Form.pdf
    50.8 KB · Views: 17