"Offtrack" in turn 1

Jason Henton

Did anyone get photo\video of my incident in turn 1? My wife thought she had it on the gopro but ended up not getting anything.

A couple people were asking what happened.. Im pretty sure I was hydroplaning as I couldnt "feel" the backtire at all. Backing off the rear brake wasnt helping, and pulling the clutch in didnt work either. Not sure what else I could have done? I didnt want to lean it into the corner, as I thought I might highside, so I tried to scrub off as much speed as I could before blowing off the corner. Basically I should have had rains on :eek: I was actually surprised at how well the front grabbed, I was worried if the back was sliding, the front would have too. Anyways, No injuries, bike had minor damage, and I learned alot this weekend. Hope everyone else who crashed was as lucky as I, and hope to be back soon.

P.S. Any advice\opinions from an outside perspective would be much appreciated.

YZF1000jon

Leave the rear braking for the pros, the rest of us will have enough trouble with just the front;), and if you're braking hard enough the rear won't help much for slowing down. In your case I think it killed the engine from what I saw, so even if you let off the brake, it wasn't going to come back to you.

Jason Henton

Its very possible the engine stalled, However, Wouldnt disengageing the clutch remedy the locked tire? Was I right in worrying about a highside if I leaned it into the corner with the tire locked\skidding? I use the rear brake all the time, It feels natural to me, and I usually never have a problem. Maybe I will try a few laps without and see how it goes.

YZF1000jon

Pulling in the clutch would've let the rear come back up to speed, but whatever you did the rear stayed locked to the edge of the track, and everything was very quiet. You may have thought you stopped using the rear and held just enough to keep the back tire locked. In the rain it doesn't take much at all. Leaning over with the rear sliding can give either a high or lowside all depending on which way it was sliding. As long as your ok it's something to ponder and learn from either way.

Jason Henton

I must have stalled, I pulled the clutch in, coasted for a few meters, then let it engage again so I had (or should have had) power for the corner. Probably compression skid\stall during downshift.. Im not used to the sv yet. Thanks for the outside perspective, I probably would never have thought that I had stalled..

twidders

video

Hi! It was neat to see for sure. I have to agree about the extremely rare use of the rear brake on the track.

I'm pretty sure you are featured in Ian's Video from the tower. Its at the end :) enjoy

Jason Henton

Yeah I saw it on Ians video already, thanks for the heads up tho. I am surprized that you guys say not to use your rear brakes? I find it very useful at times.

Fireman

Yeah I saw it on Ians video already, thanks for the heads up tho. I am surprized that you guys say not to use your rear brakes? I find it very useful at times.

You might find some race track specific rider training helpful. Your instructor will be able to explain the intricacies of braking at that point.

Planepower

You might find some race track specific rider training helpful. Your instructor will be able to explain the intricacies of braking at that point.

Rear brake usage is useful in certain areas -settling the chassis mid-corner or in areas where you want to 'back-it-in' - best person to watch with rear brake usage is Mr. Degraff - poetry in motion.

Take Firemans advice and sign up for his classes - very good training.

yak

Hi Jason (just to add my 2 cents, not adjusted for inflation)

While in the dirt I find that the rear brake is magic, but on the track it has only complicated matters for me. Certainly some people can benefit from judicious use of the rear brake, but in my opinion there is a lot of time to be gained by focusing on other areas than the rear brake.

Do you race an SV650? (If yes, I found it's rear brake especially difficult to modulate in the dry.)

Regards,

Todd

Jason Henton

Yes, its a 99 SV, totally new machine to me (less than 2 tanks of fuel through it), It has lots (well, more anyways) of compression braking that I am not used to. I find that using the rear a little helps keep the front under control, not sure if thats what you mean by "settling the chassis"? In any case I will probably be looking into some rider training once I get into things a bit more, budgets pretty low right now..