2014 EMRA Rule Changes

Dave86

It's about that time of year again.

With the AGM coming up (date / location details to be announced shortly), please give some thought to any rule changes you'd like to see, write up a proposal, and post it up for discussion.

Changes will be voted on at the AGM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goatse

Would a 600cc Superbike race fall under Rule Changes?

I'm guessing with the larger track with more straights, the liter bike vs 600 gap won't be so negligible anymore.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member

I'm guessing with the larger track with more straights, the liter bike vs 600 gap won't be so negligible anymore.

Yeah I was right about this. Lol

I'm all for it.

Also we were talking about how we should run practice at Castrol. Times are too much of an unknown right now so would it be best to go back to splitting up the practice groups as novice, intermediate and expert again like before?
Bigger track, more space... Ya know

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
I'd like to see a few things brought uo:

-front brake lever guards mandatory part of tech.

-Blue flag be introduced, and a proper procedure for riders to fallow when it is given be part of race school and riders meetings.

-Mandatory 8 hours of volunteer work be part of graduating novice to intermediate license. With track set up and tear down part of racing and probably doubling the number of corner stations, the club will needs this more than ever. We could make everyone do it, but I feel it would be a good baby step to get this started.

AleksV

I'm all for this. Slow guys like me, with a completely stock 600, vs a really fast R1, or S1000RR, full of computer gadgets, skills wont do much anymore.

Practice should just run on Strato times for now.

Slim

For as far as a 600SBK class goes. I'm curious as to weather we have the riders willing to ride that class. I know personally I would rather run 600 SS to attempt to be competitive but it's likely I would run SBK aswell just for the sake of racing.

Goatse

Sportsman had a weak turnout. What about changing it to something like 7-8 years, so more bikes are eligible?

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
For as far as a 600SBK class goes. I'm curious as to weather we have the riders willing to ride that class. I know personally I would rather run 600 SS to attempt to be competitive but it's likely I would run SBK aswell just for the sake of racing.

600ss and superbike rules are different for one. It also gives 600 riders a second class to race in. As it sits right now 600s unnaturally race against 1000cc bikes in open and superbike classes and only have the 600ss to race against just 600s. On a track as large as castrol you cannot expect a 600cc bike to be nearly as competitive in open classes.

There are more 600 riders on the grids than any other kind of rider, the club will need to put more bikes on grids to cover costs, why not target the largest group of riders for this and give them another race.

From a safety stand point we are about to start racing on a much larger track, a track with at least four straight aways as long as the back straight at Stratotech, closing speeds will be something to consider when racing in an open class.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
AMA let RSV1000R's race in the 600 class... How about it guys? ;)

AMA also had rolling starts for a while, so lets not go down the AMA road too far.

That was also the "AMA Pro GoPro Daytona Sportbike" race, it also has a 140hp limit something that would be very tricky to enforce seeing as how the club doesn't a dyno. What is proposed is a 600 Superbike race, much like 600ss with superbike rules. At the AGM last year it was decided not to allow 848s into the 600ss like some clubs do, so I feel an RSV1000 would fall into the same group as the 848.

Goatse

That reminds me.

If we did have a 600 specifc Superbike Race, then it'd make more sense to have tighter (or even enforce the current ones more) rules in 600SS. That would make the Superbike race make more 'sense' by separating the 2 a bit more.

sv-racing-parts

:), I would like to see expert and Middle Weight Twins combined into a single Battle of the Twins Class. That would allow the scoring grid to be larger and provide a real opportunity for a daily payout cash contingency to be organized.

I don't think the 750cc and under 4 Stroke Middleweight Twin riders would mind and we may be able to also include 4 Stroke Singles into the rules as well to allow those riders to be counted on the grid as well,

Make it a "run what you brung" class and I could probably get sponsor contingency buy in,

I really wanted to be at this years AGM as I have in the past but as it turns out I will be returning from my Asia trip where I am organizing some great new parts for all of us for next season,

See you all at the Bike Show,

Best regards,
Blair

Dave86

That reminds me.

If we did have a 600 specifc Superbike Race, then it'd make more sense to have tighter (or even enforce the current ones more) rules in 600SS. That would make the Superbike race make more 'sense' by separating the 2 a bit more.

I agree with this, racing is expensive and with costs only going to go up at Castrol I'd like to see the rules for 600SS and / or Open Sportbike made a little more restrictive along with a name change to Superstock, to encourage riders to be able to be competitive in a race without having to pour thousands of dollars in parts into building a bike.

I think we'll have to evaluate our schedule and classes as a whole due to time constraints at Castrol, we'll have to make sure we're filling grids by making setting classes that the most bikes can enter, and that people actually want to enter.

I also agree 100% with Jon's suggestion of making brake lever guards mandatory, I think that one is pretty much a no brainer, just like implementing engine case guards was.

Fireman

My Brake guard saved my ass this season. I very much like this.

A whole revamp to the class structure will need to be adressed. The current Stratotech rulebook will not fit cleanly into the new venue. I think we will need to look at the past CMRA rulebook and the rulebooks from the WMRC and MoM clubs.

I would suggest this to be a perfect time to look at aligning our rule book with our reciprocating clubs.

Planepower

I propose a grey hair class lol
As in 45+ (a TRUE senior class :p)

I'm never going to be 32 again. Let's call it the 'Arthritis class':p

I kid....

But I like the brake guard addition. Can't wait to see how the AGM turns out.

Last edited:

Cinder

my ideas

I propose a grey hair class lol
As in 45+ (a TRUE senior class :p).

-How about 40+......I love doing senior open

-Brake guard mandatory is a no brainer.

-And I would vote for the same formula for practice base on rider's time not on level.....did work great this year.

-If there's enough lady racing this year, giving them back their own race is appropriate, was really crowded for them with formula 105

-and plz bring back a "105" formula once we have timing reference

that was my 2 cents

DEFBOY35

other than Jon and his pretty wheels, is there really anyone running more than a supersport qualifying machine in SS? as well im curious as to the reasoning dave behind the desire to swap the name to superstock as opposed to supersport? is it not aligned with what the supersport classes are down south and most other places? im just thinking that for the sake of chasing sponsorship from companies down south that are used to certain classes may be easier just because they know what the classes are already they primarily deal with. I know this point has been brought up in the past in regards to any potential contingency programs as well.
as for the brake guards, i agree completely
id also like to see the 600sbk, as with the bigger track, it may be tough to compete with the litre bikes, unless we all suddenly become royce's lol
essentially sbk rules, and the longer race duration, which im guessing would be more around the 12 lap mark? regular race around 8, out at the longer track?
as for trying to fit in the races, either running mixed expert intermediate for the sbk classes, or run a staggered grid 1000sbk up front 600sbk behind. there is potential for the faster 1000's to catch lappers near the end of the race really in both scenarios, this is where the blue flag would come in to play that was suggested. i am not sure the protocol that is used elsewhere , but it would need to be entail some sort of fair play to it. scenario being 2 guys battling, perhaps the front is unaware that he has a competitor rite on his tail, and the front runner is coming through to lap, if the blue comes out, rider 2 can not just tag on to the lapping rider to pass rider 1.

for the first roundof practice go with the 1 2 3 4 groupings, if you were this group at strat you are that group at castrol, until some sort of baseline numbers are put down to see where the cut offs should be.

just my current food for thought.

also, everybody, this is a big year for us with all the necessary changes, lets pack the house at the agm, make sure your voice is heard and you get your votes in. i also remember hearing something about PIZZA if thats what you need to hear to get you there!

DEFBOY35

volunteers, yes i like the idea of the mandatory time to be promoted, not sure what avenues we could pursue to entice others out as well, lets hear some ideas.
as for the air fence, i think it should be, you either set up, or tear down simple as that. enforced by fine or possibly a 30-50$ deposit for the first rd, help out, carries over to the next rd you register for, skip out, and you need to pay deposit again to register for next rd. help out for all rounds you register and get your $ back at the end of year, maybe some other added incentive for helping all rounds.