2018 Rule Change Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_fornicator

but Tosh has full right to keep his numbers

I don't want to beat a dead horse, and for the record I like Tosh, so, I'm saying this not to be a dink but so as to not spread misinformation because what you've stated is technically not true.

If someone proposed a motion at the AGM to do the whole black 2 thing for the Intermediate SBK champ and it was voted on and passed, Tosh would have to find a different number. The numbers belong to the club akin to how there are regulations and standards for license plates (and how license plates do not belong to the driver). Would it suck? Yep. Would it seem unfair? Yep. Dick move? Maybe for the person that proposed it lol. Life? Unfortunately, yep.

Also, there's nothing in the rule book that states racers are entitled to their numbers. In that same breath, however, one could make such a proposal at the AGM to protect racers' numbers. So there's both sides of the fence :)

(edit: Just to be clear, I will not be making any such proposal either as this does not affect me since my numbers will probably be red for the rest of my life lol)

nac.00

EMRA Executive Member
Staff member
I'm a little late to the party here lol

All clubs (those more serious or at least on par with the erma) use the 1-10 black number being reserved for their top riders.

To say that amatuer sbk champ gets number 2 black doesn't make much sense to me....BUT I love the idea of a special number
Red plate makes most sense to me (white #1 on red back ground) as this rider has conquered the reds
Can anyone say Moto America superstock champ hahaha. The MA SSTK used red background with white number so you would look super bad ass. Just saying...

Last edited:

nac.00

EMRA Executive Member
Staff member
Qualifying..... Execs let me know what ya think...

Like Bernhardt said, We know the points standings, They would be our tentative grids whom ever doesn't make it to the race round gets dropped and grid gets shuffled down. Those who haven't ran class before just get shoved to the back of the grid. I would think this could be done rather quickly on Saturday?

There has to be a better way to do this... can other people brain storm ideas regarding this?
If it still is a headache, bring on another director to specifically handle grids...clubs can afford it.... Like Blam said, none of the execs have time cause they are all busy.

nac.00

EMRA Executive Member
Staff member
Bellypan. Almost all clubs require this. We have been too lienient. I've thought about this a few times over the years.
Like Dana says. Some bikes dont have comercially avail ex. Motards or other special bikes so should be exempt...

Now for infractions, I hate the idea of $$$ penalty... Yes other clubs do $ fines but im my opinion it looks greedy emra isnt a business. A penalty such as ponits deduction, DQ, or gridded at the back seems like a more reasonable way. Besides it's probably even more of a deterent with a penalty than a fine, I for one would rather pay 50$ than be gridded at the back for a round lol

nac.00

EMRA Executive Member
Staff member
Fast 25, was a great idea by Bullee and has been around for years. Unfortunately our club has grown and evolved and I know it needs to be restructured. I've been told by many int. racers that thought only the top 25 could enter.
It's the perfect race to bridge int and experts together.

A few ideas I had thought of this season were to make it a bracket race like f112 but on the other side of the cut off time.
The rider must have completed a 1:28 (or what ever we figure the time) in a race or in practice.

Also do we want to keep a payout scheme? 20$ entry, emra keeps some, rest is split to top 5? Or maybe random payout within the class to drive up the grid? Like a 50:50 at a hockey game hahaha. Would love to hear more ideas on how to spread the money pot...let's think outside the box... 3 random riders get payout would probably get alot of those on the fence into the race. Just an idea

Once you've been DQed from 112 you can move to "said" race
Name ideas,
Clubman Grand prix
Dash for cash
Cash Grand prix
Combined open

DEFBOY35

MA ran red plate yellow number. That class no longer exists as it will just be SS from now on I believe. But I do like the idea of a red plate white number.
The payout for fast 25 had changed to pay out the top 5 as well as the top 5 for the championship. Jon could verify that.
Going to a minimum cutoff to get in and then top 25 registered if more than 25 entrants should be fine as there has been no real issues at this point with who's running anyways.
Open grid spots sucks. Especially as the season goes on and the potential for more open spots would push us past the amount of available room we have for grid spots.
In order to "shift" the grids up would require redoing the grids completely I believe. No point doing it twice if it doesn't need to be done. Especially as it is not a quick fix.

To cams earlier point about qualifying for better grid positions for those who only do a couple rounds. I'd rather see the benefit of better grid position go to someone who has consistently earned points through the year towards the championship hold their starting position.

Dave86

Qualifying..... Execs let me know what ya think...

Like Bernhardt said, We know the points standings, They would be our tentative grids whom ever doesn't make it to the race round gets dropped and grid gets shuffled down. Those who haven't ran class before just get shoved to the back of the grid. I would think this could be done rather quickly on Saturday?

There has to be a better way to do this... can other people brain storm ideas regarding this?
If it still is a headache, bring on another director to specifically handle grids...clubs can afford it.... Like Blam said, none of the execs have time cause they are all busy.

That's really not possible because grids are generated by entry lists from registration, and about 1/3 of our licensed racers don't show up for every round, so leaving empty grid spots isn't a really viable solution. It's really down to two options:

1. Registration closes Wednesday at 10pm (so that the registrar doesn't have to stay up all night dealing with everyone who left it until the last minute). Points grids are done Thursday evening, importing the entry list from registration for each race into the timing system and then manually generating grids with the point standings that were uploaded to the MyLaps results site and takes a few hours typically. After qualifying is completed on practice day (Friday for double headers, Saturday for single round), qualifying based grids are generated. Race day there is a practice rotation then straight into Senior open, which leaves almost no time to re-print grids as each time a change is made a copy has to be run out to the grid marshalls, gate, announcer and posted under the tent.

2. Registration closes Wednesday at 10pm, After qualifying is completed on practice day (Friday for double headers, Saturday for single round), all grids are generated. Because it's not a process that takes hours, it's easier to allow changes if riders want to add / change races at this point.

Really just depends how strongly the membership feels about points based grids. If it's favoured, the club can just keep doing things the way it has.

blam

Administrator
just a point to add.....if grids are done by qualifying, it may open up late registration changes, as grids are faster to complete.

the time it took to do grid sheets is one of the main the reason we had to get rid of late registrations.

blam

Administrator
Fast 25, was a great idea by Bullee and has been around for years. Unfortunately our club has grown and evolved and I know it needs to be restructured. I've been told by many int. racers that thought only the top 25 could enter.
It's the perfect race to bridge int and experts together.

as per the rulebook, yes, only the top 25 from qualifying but it was never enforced, and i will be bringing that up at the AGM if no one else does to make it 25 riders, faster than the 112 cut off. we have also never seen a full 25 entries (not ever at castrol anyways)

im actually a little sad i wont be able to race in F112 next year (well, not the whole season hopefully). it is one of the funnest races for the slower guys like myself.

2quickrides

EMRA Executive Member
A note on qualifying grids. With double header qualifying happening on the Friday, and not a holiday, that can screw over a lot of guys that can't get out of work that day.
Would be pretty sh@tty to see the points leader of a class start from the back just cause he had to work on a weekday.

S-african

Lots of good points brought up...
What about getting one person from each class needing to be gridded on points to do up the grid fro a race weekend. And giving that responsibility to someone else for the following weekend. Is it easy enough for the registration person to just email the points (May even be available on line) and the registered riders for the race weekend to a specific person on Thursday (Please make sure you email to someone actually racing that weekend) and get that person to do the grid. Could even get 2 people to do the grid separately, that way you have someone double checking points and you have a back up? Takes time and stress off registration person, and means the person doing the points grid only does one race. Just a thought

Jason Henton

While not a rule change proposal, I would love to see something done about our air horn warning system. I wonder if we couldn't use air horns mounted on a portable post and connect them to a central activation button/valve? We could then have one or two setup along the pits to allow everyone a better chance of hearing them. I know we use a similar (albeit permanent) system at work for our fire alarm and it works well.

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
While not a rule change proposal, I would love to see something done about our air horn warning system. I wonder if we couldn't use air horns mounted on a portable post and connect them to a central activation button/valve? We could then have one or two setup along the pits to allow everyone a better chance of hearing them. I know we use a similar (albeit permanent) system at work for our fire alarm and it works well.

I would be willing to rig up something that could accomplish this, as long as the club is willing to pay for parts.

If we have a reliable air/power source, I could even set it up to run off that, so the club wouldn't have to buy the air canisters anymore.

Goatse

I'm a little late to the party here lol

All clubs (those more serious or at least on par with the erma) use the 1-10 black number being reserved for their top riders.

To say that amatuer sbk champ gets number 2 black doesn't make much sense to me....BUT I love the idea of a special number
Red plate makes most sense to me (white #1 on red back ground) as this rider has conquered the reds
Can anyone say Moto America superstock champ hahaha. The MA SSTK used red background with white number so you would look super bad ass. Just saying...
I actually like this better than my idea. Especially if another 1 no longer messes with timing.

2quickrides

EMRA Executive Member
Also the 2 and 5 minute warnings are over the loud speakers, and over the FM transmitter as well (on 89.7).

For those close enough that can actually hear the speakers.
And only over fm when Stu has the chance to announce it. He's usually on top of it, but things happen.

An air horn mounted to the back of the stands would travel pretty well.
Would also have the added benefit of scaring the crap out of the spectators :)

DEFBOY35

Lots of good points brought up...
What about getting one person from each class needing to be gridded on points to do up the grid fro a race weekend. And giving that responsibility to someone else for the following weekend. Is it easy enough for the registration person to just email the points (May even be available on line) and the registered riders for the race weekend to a specific person on Thursday (Please make sure you email to someone actually racing that weekend) and get that person to do the grid. Could even get 2 people to do the grid separately, that way you have someone double checking points and you have a back up? Takes time and stress off registration person, and means the person doing the points grid only does one race. Just a thought
I personally have not been involved in the process yet. But from the discussions I have had it is a bit of a process that takes some getting used to. Although I think it's a great idea in general to have more people involved doing things to help the club this may very well be a too many cooks in the kitchen scenario and best left too 1 or 2 people well versed with the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.