AGM Info and 2016 Rule Change Thread

Dave86

2015 EMRA AGM will be December 4 @ 7:30 PM
Lakewood Community League Hall
260 Lakewood Rd E NW

Please join us to vote in the 2016 EMRA executive members, and vote on rule changes.

If you have a rule change you would like to propose for the 2016 season, please post in this thread.

ehtaylor

Remove intermediate class ? Pro or Novice.
This is how they do it in the states. Lots of lapping so the corner workers need to be good at blue flags.
Upside is less races so races can be more laps. Downside is lapping.
Thoughts ?
Maybe 1 more novice race for folks that don't want to run as pro so 3 in a day.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
Remove intermediate class ? Pro or Novice.
This is how they do it in the states. Lots of lapping so the corner workers need to be good at blue flags.
Upside is less races so races can be more laps. Downside is lapping.
Thoughts ?
Maybe 1 more novice race for folks that don't want to run as pro so 3 in a day.

IMO This is done in the states mainly to address smaller rider numbers on the grids. We don't really have that problem. Rather than align ourselves with clubs that don't really race here I'd suggest sticking with CSBK which was a HUGE draw for the club this year. Our Novice, Intermediate, Expert structure matches nicely with the Novice, Amateur, Pro.

I'd like to see the Fast 25 changed up a bit in a way to help rider numbers in that class and keep riders in it as a year long championship. I'd like to see pay out increased from 1st to 5th place, so first place gets 30% of the pay out, second place gets 25%, then 20% and 15%and 10% for fifth. I feel would help draw more 600cc riders to the Fast 25. I'd also like to see the entry fees collected from the first 12 riders in the Fast 25 get payed out to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th place rider of that race. The remaining race fees collected can go into a pot that would be saved to the end of the year as a championship pay out based on points collected in the Fast 25 through out the year. So lets say the Fast 25 sells out every round, 1st place in every round would get $108, at the end of the year the Fast 25 champion would take home $819. I hope that makes sense to everyone.

Goatse

#1. Being that our rules are barely SSish, I think it would make more sense to have our 600SS class called the 600 Sportbike class. Then it would line up the classes a bit better in my opinion. Our rulebook actually already lays it out like this anyway.

Then we would have,

600 Sportbike (formerly 600SS)
600 Superbike (already exists)

Open Sportbike (already exists)
Superbike (already exits)

My reasoning for this, is our SS rules are barely even what a SS class is supposed to be for. SS should be for near stock bikes, to level the playing field for everyone. But our rules don't do that at all. A guy can literally show up with a built high compression and ported 636cc, carbon fiber wheels, aftermarket triples, custom airbox, billet brake calipers, and a few more cool bits I'm sure I am missing.

Get this straight though. I am not complaining about that. I actually prefer our rules to be that way. I think with our club and just the fun grass roots racing, we should not be limiting people to having some super cool race bikes. Cool bikes attract new racers, get local racers buying more cool stuff, and just the paddock in general benefits from it. I just think the name "Supersport" doesn't really apply to the class.

#2. Kind of related to #1. I'd also like to get the "Front Suspension must use the original front forks both inner and outer tubes. Fork internals may be modified." removed from the rulebook for the sportbike classes. I think this rule must have come from when standard forks were more the norm. Like mentioned above, we can have some pretty killer modifications in that class and still be legal. Ones that make a heck of a LOT more of a difference on the track than darn fork tubes. If somebody (like myself :eek:) has some sweet Ohlins forks on their stock engined R1, I highly doubt it's going to change a lick on anything besides the racer's pocket book when he yard sales the bike.

Example; A guy can have the fully tricked out 600 listed above, but if a guy on an older R6 wants to swap in some inverted forks from an 05 R6 then his bike is illegal? That's a pretty silly ruling in my opinion.

majikx

Where is the list of the new executive positions open and who has stepped up an or been nominated to be exec??

Just curious.

Mike

DEFBOY35

Where is the list of the new executive positions open and who has stepped up an or been nominated to be exec??

Just curious.

Mike

That all takes place at the exec meeting mike. As of now. There are 2 positions I am aware that will need to be filled as Dave and Jon step into their new roles.

nac.00

EMRA Executive Member
Staff member
#1. Being that our rules are barely SSish, I think it would make more sense to have our 600SS class called the 600 Sportbike class. Then it would line up the classes a bit better in my opinion. Our rulebook actually already lays it out like this anyway.

Then we would have,

600 Sportbike (formerly 600SS)
600 Superbike (already exists)

Open Sportbike (already exists)
Superbike (already exits)

Get this straight though. I am not complaining about that. I actually prefer our rules to be that way. I think with our club and just the fun grass roots racing, we should not be limiting people to having some super cool race bikes. Cool bikes attract new racers, get local racers buying more cool stuff, and just the paddock in general benefits from it. I just think the name "Supersport" doesn't really apply to the class.

#2. Kind of related to #1. I'd also like to get the "Front Suspension must use the original front forks both inner and outer tubes.
Example; A guy can have the fully tricked out 600 listed above, but if a guy on an older R6 wants to swap in some inverted forks from an 05 R6 then his bike is illegal? That's a pretty silly ruling in my opinion.

Dana makes a good point. Though i believe we should keep SS(supersport) designation. Its on par with most other race organizations and looks better for sponsors.

Also I would like to see the open sportbike class renamed to superstock. Just make more sens with what i said above.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
Here is a link to a list of the current executives and their positions:

http://emra.ca/index.php?pageid=contacts

Here is a link to last years AGM meeting minutes:

http://www.emra.ca/meeting minutes/2014/2014AGM.pdf

To summarize last year Ian and Justin let it be known they would be stepping down as President and vice president at the end of the 2015 season. It was decided in order to properly prepare the club for this change a president and vice president elect would be selected. Myself and Dave Kendal were voted as vice president and president elect.

So as Ian and Justin step down from their positions, myself and Dave Kendal move up, that would leave two general executive director positions open at this years AGM.

Being on the executive sure keeps you busy. Since the move from Stratotech to Castrol the work involved to put on a race weekend and a race season has to say the least, grown considerably. But I think this growth is all positive and well worth it. I think the club puts on a great show at great value for racers. I hope anyone considering running for an executive position shares the same positive, hard working attitude the current exec have. As well as the drive to continually make things better, adapt and increase value.

JDstealth

Why does our club not make it clear what is involved with the selection of its executive? Other clubs talk in the riders meetings about the process and how someone gets nominated for a position. I think a lot of people do not get involved because they do not understand that they have a say in who leads the club or who has a position on the executive. The statements made above make it seem like there is back door dealings taking place. Was the vote for the president and vice made public? Did anyone know about it? I didn't.

Goatse

Why does our club not make it clear what is involved with the selection of its executive? Other clubs talk in the riders meetings about the process and how someone gets nominated for a position. I think a lot of people do not get involved because they do not understand that they have a say in who leads the club or who has a position on the executive. The statements made above make it seem like there is back door dealings taking place. Was the vote for the president and vice made public? Did anyone know about it? I didn't.

I'm guessing you've never been to an AGM? If you attend this year I think you'd feel pretty foolish reading back on your post.

And here... See below, in case you didn't read the first post in this thread.

2015 EMRA AGM will be December 4 @ 7:30 PM
Lakewood Community League Hall
260 Lakewood Rd E NW

Please join us to vote in the 2016 EMRA executive members, and vote on rule changes.

Last edited:

Goatse

That all takes place at the exec meeting mike. As of now. There are 2 positions I am aware that will need to be filled as Dave and Jon step into their new roles.

I think you mean AGM.

Exec meetings are what the directors that get voted in have each month. :D

JDstealth

Why would I feel foolish Dana? Not everyone hangs out in the forum, there were many people this year that I talked to that had no idea that the positions are open for anyone and the process that takes place to vote people in. My point was that other clubs are very vocal in riders meetings about the ins and outs of the process and how to contribute.

That being said, I think the club needs to focus on limiting cost rather than allowing more modifications. Doesn't make sense that a local race club allows more modifications than our national series.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
True, not everyone frequents the forum.
We'll have to make a point of it next year to note that in each riders meeting, about how people can nominate themselves to be on the exec for the following season.
We try to be transparent so if that would help, then great.
I know Jon mentioned in during the last two rounds because we were nearing the end of the season, but I don't think you were there.

Goatse

The AGM has been mentioned on multiple medias, the last few race rounds, and was also mentioned at the annual Banquet as well. If somebody was interested in the going ons of the club, the information is readily available for anyone willing to take the time and effort to do so.

You should come to the AGM and run for an executive position. If voted in, maybe you'll gain some respect for the committee after you see how much work goes on behind the scenes (all year) and then on race days. No "back door dealings" just a group of individuals doing work year round to make sure that our 5 weekends during the summer go as smoothly as possible. You mention other clubs, yet don't recognize just how many clubs (including the national series) praise just how good of a show our club puts on.

Last edited:

JDstealth

Just to be clear my main point here was that the VP and President was selected by the 2015 Exec not the 2016 Exec which hasn't been voted in yet. I have no issue with the two members that were selected for these positions, I think they will do a excellent job.

Goatse

Just to be clear my main point here was that the VP and President was selected by the 2015 Exec not the 2016 Exec which hasn't been voted in yet. I have no issue with the two members that were selected for these positions, I think they will do a excellent job.

The current President and Vice President were not voted in by the 2015 Executive (or any Executive for that matter). They were voted in by all members at the AGM last year.

JDstealth

Yes but that was the meeting for 2015, why was the VP and Pres selected for 2016? The executive for 2016 should be set at this years AGM no? Is there anyone else that would like to contest any of these positions?

Goatse

Yes but that was the meeting for 2015, why was the VP and Pres selected for 2016? The executive for 2016 should be set at this years AGM no? Is there anyone else that would like to contest any of these positions?

Being the president and vice president of the club is not an easy task. Justin and Ian are gone as of 2016, so how would the new president and vice just take over? The club would be in shambles. Dave and Jon spent the year shadowing Ian and Justin so they could learn first hand the duties and dealings of the positions.

Ian actually wanted to step down last year, but was convinced to put in one more year to let the executive take what they can from him to apply it after he left.

Justin you are welcome to come to any of the executive meetings to see just what is involved in making the EMRA the club that it is.

JDstealth

Being the president and vice president of the club is not an easy task. Justin and Ian are gone as of 2016, so how would the new president and vice just take over? The club would be in shambles. Dave and Jon spent the year shadowing Ian and Justin so they could learn first hand the duties and dealings of the positions.

Ian actually wanted to step down last year, but was convinced to put in one more year to let the executive take what they can from him to apply it after he left.

Justin you are welcome to come to any of the executive meetings to see just what is involved in making the EMRA the club that it is.

I am not questioning weather it is easy or not I just don't like how some of this is presented. An executive is required to be voted in by it's members, if the members are not smart enough to vote for someone that knows what it takes to run a club then that's what happens. Generally speaking no one wants to see their club go down the drain.

I just want to make sure that if there are interested parties in being apart of the exec everyone that is a member should be able to contest any position, I don't think it is right that they were selected a year previous however I understand the reasoning.

I do not doubt the work that you guys put in to make our club tick, I appreciate it. Again my concern was how for a previous year's AGM were Exec positions selected? Are we allowing anyone willing to contest these positions to be nominated? There may not be any but we should not be telling the members that they cannot contest certain positions. We have had some members this year that weren't with us last year, are we considering those members that may want to be apart of the executive? Or the positions that were selected last year?