Back Protector

Logan

-If the suit is not equipped with an integrated back protector of suitable construction and coverage (recommended from base of neck to the tailbone), the rider must wear a suitable back protector under the suit. Back protectors meeting European Standard CE EN1621-2 Level 2 are recommended.

My question is,
I have an Oxford RP1 suit, there is no integrated back protector but oxford recommended purchasing this to accompany the suit. I have this installed in my suit now and I would like to know if this meets the criteria?

http://www.oxfordproducts.com/motor..._insert/?PHPSESSID=qh83k2rm1s3d9ma2o32ph19oq2

Thanks.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
Good question, i believe if this was an after the fact purchase and addition to your suit it would pass, however i strongly recommend a hard-back like a plastic style not a foam style. I can tell you landing and sliding at 150km/h with a good quality back protector will prove to you that its worth spending $150 on a high end one that can take the impact. I wouldn't have much faith in those foam, they seem like the bare minimum in terms of spine protectors and you shouldn't cheap out on what protects your spine.

Snak

EMRA Executive Member
I would say buy the best back protector you can afford. I can tell you first hand that your back protector will be the difference between getting up and riding your bike back to the pits, or taking a ride in the Dee's ambulance.

If you even have to miss one day of work because your gear was insufficient, the good gear would have paid for its self.

I also tired one that integrated with my last A* suit, it ended up wrecking the snaps in the suit before I even went for a ride. I promptly returned it and bought one with straps, they are much easier to get on and off with your race suit.

Logan

Thanks guys, ill look into something with a little more protection when I get home from work. What are most guys running for back/spine protection?

Snak

EMRA Executive Member
I have been running the A-stars KR-1, I should have gotten a large instead of the medium that the sizing chart recommended (I was between two sizes). Forcefield and Knox also make great back protectors. It seems that pricing is all in the $200-$250 range.

If you can find a shop with some in stock (Argyll and Echo had some last time I was there), bring your race suit and try them on to see if you like the fit.

DEFBOY35

As mentioned. I wouldn't want to cheap out on this. Could be the difference between walking and not walking.
I'd honestlynot suggest anything that is not a CE2 certification.

Logan

Thanks guys, I'm down by red deer so I am going to stop into Turple Brothers here when I get home from work. I like the idea of bringing my suit to make sure it fits underneath. I sized my suit so that I do not have allot of play room though, its tight now so hopefully I have enough room for proper protection.

bgo62

Thanks guys, I'm down by red deer so I am going to stop into Turple Brothers here when I get home from work. I like the idea of bringing my suit to make sure it fits underneath. I sized my suit so that I do not have allot of play room though, its tight now so hopefully I have enough room for proper protection.

Hey Logan , im down in Innisfail and i Wear the knox Back protectors . I have used alpinestars , Forcefield & find the knox to be probably the best fitting for me . we could meet up if you want to try on the Knox for comparison .