Bike Race Numbers

jetfixer15

Having talked to the Cheif Scorer last year and seen it for myself when I was in the tower, many bikes last year had numbers on them that did not conform to the EMRA rules, and were impossible to read. If the lap timing/scoring system went down and manual scoring was required, racers with illegible numbers might not be scored. In addition, identifying a racer for safety reasons (like a black flag) is more difficult for the track workers. I would like to see this rule enforced for next year to make bike identification easier for the track workers and spectators. If I race next year I will bring masking tape, a can of white spray paint to the track and will paint on white backgrounds for you. I don't know how much the standard dirt bike numbers cost to buy but they are the easiest solution and conform to the size rerquirements. Many bikes have small or split frontal areas, so some adjustments may have to be made.

EMRA rulebook:

Race numbers should be large (8” or more, 1” wide, & 1” white stroke) and clear for the purpose of lap scoring.
Number plates should be:
•Novice - Red number on white background
•Intermediate - Red number on white background
•Expert - Black number on white background

Spooner

I will bring masking tape, a can of white spray paint to the track and will paint on white backgrounds for you.

So your going to start painting peoples bikes? That will go over well.

I don't know how much the standard dirt bike numbers cost to buy but they are the easiest solution and conform to the size rerquirements.

Most sizes are 5 to six inches. Most cost around $5.00 to $8.00 each per number.

Many bikes have small or split frontal areas, so some adjustments may have to be made.
Suggestions???

Also, what constitutes a white background? Eg. How large?

But, if there was any issues with #'s Jon W. or Tinker (sorry don't know his real name) would let the guilty party know about it. I seen and been part of this, when I had busted up fairings with taped on numbers.

So the real question is, who are you trying to railroad?

~S

YZF1000jon

I don't think he was trying to railroad anyone, but it's something we can look at being a bit more vigilant about. It can be added to the adjustments made at tech that will include a kill switch check, as there were some out there last year that were still difficult to read. Let's hope the timing system works better than ever, the main concern then is for ID and safety reasons.

Planepower

I think the kill switch 'check' is pointless....if its there, great. i dont want to start up my bike just to have it shut down immediatley...and some of the 2-stroke racers - their bikes do not have idle circuits or starters...its a pointless 'check'...if its there, ask if it works.
Whats next...going to do a compression check to make sure engine isnt going to blow up on the track? Sometimes we HAVE to leave the details to the owner? do we start checking torques on frame sliders? handlebar bolts? brake lever pivots?

The numbers debate can be sorted out at tech - as the rules state.

Last edited:

Thorsten

Being retired from the EMRA I suppose I don't have a lot of credibility, but I wanted to comment anyway, so there! ;)

I have to say from a spectator's perspective that I found the increasingly loose application of race numbers quite frustrating over the last couple of seasons. It was often impossible to identify a rider, which takes away from the enjoyment of watching the races. Also, having illegible, presumably artfully distorted looking numbers plastered all over the bike (like having a single number on top of the seat hump upside down towards the stands) may be celebrated as an expression of individualism, but could also be seen as a level of sloppiness that might lead one to wonder if it reflects the level of bike and rider preparation. Perception is everything.

If I was still on the Exec, enforcing numbering rules would have been on my agenda for next season, because I also agree with the scoring and safety arguments made by others earlier. I think there is merit to the EMRA wanting to be seen to run a professional event. We have always prided ourselves on this.

As to the kill switch test, I have to strongly support having it done at tech. This is potentially a life and limb issue, not only for a downed rider, but also for the corner marshals. They must be able to shut off a bike to reduce the risk of fire, for example. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask someone on a two stroke GP bike to push start the thing and to shut it down with the kill switch. If I have to blame myself for any shortcomings when I was doing tech, it is that I didn't check the function of the kill switches often enough.

Cheers,
Thorsten

YZF1000jon

Being retired from the EMRA I suppose I don't have a lot of credibility, but I wanted to comment anyway, so there! ;)

Cheers,
Thorsten

Your credibility is underestimated, oh wise one!:D
Did you have a physical checklist to tick off at tech? or was it a memorized one.

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
I don't remember this being too big of a problem. I remember getting some riders to fix their numbers, change the color, make them clearer, they were usually pretty good about it, most riders were just unaware it was hard to see. Some bikes like the 1000rr and 600rr just don't have much room for numbers on the tail section. It is something to keep in mind, and bring up to the guys in charge of tech, have them enforce the rules some more.

Thorsten

Did you have a physical checklist to tick off at tech? or was it a memorized one.

Well, many years ago I put together a check list. It's weird, I found it yesterday somewhere on the EMRA site, but today I can't. Early onset dementia???:eek:

Anyhoo, in the old days a competitor was handed the check list as proof of registration and I only teched a bike when the rider handed over the sheet. In an ideal world, the rider could use it as a guide to checking over the bike, and I would have checked things off that needed fixing at tech. In reality it rarely happened that way because the Saturday morning rush just doesn't allow for it. I developed a mental routine looking at what I considered the most important safety features to check, both on the bike and rider equipment. And I picked one or two additional things on the list each race weekend to look for.:cool:

Okay, back to trying to find the bloody thing...:confused:

Cheers,
TD

YZF1000jon

:

, in the old days a competitor was handed the check list as proof of registration and I only teched a bike when the rider handed over the sheet.
TD
With the new registration system this could be easier than before and also help speed up tech in the mornings as other exec can step in and help (huge thanks to those who have been doing just that in the past) as well. If you find the form could you lead me to it?

Found it, under club information see downloadable forms. :) We will be revising it to reflect new rule changes currently being voted upon.

Last edited:

Thorsten

Well done, Jon! For some reason the pull down menu doesn't show up at work...:rolleyes:

Yes, when you update the form, you might as well add the kill switch, which is ironically not on there. That's probably why I didn't pay more attention to it...

Cheers,
TD

Dean

In the WMRC, we just went through this at our rules book committee meeting, and this year, we will be enforcing the numbers quite a bit more strictly. We have vendors on site that have white vinyl backgrounds as well as numbers. I believe that numbers go for $5 per pack of 3 of the same numbers.

Our resolution to the tail sections being quite small on some bodywork is that if the tail is too small for proper numbers with at least 1" of white around each number, then you MUST mount your numbers on your side fairings. Our tech will be checking very closely for numbering. At least we will not leave you out in the cold as our vendors will have materials you can purchase to rectify the situation. Non-compliance with our numbering rules, much the same as what Aaron stated above, will result in the rider not being able to race with no refunds.

Our backup scorers, safety workers, and announcing tower as well as spectators have demanded we do something about this, so that was our answer this year.

oldskool

First of all I understand if the numbers are completely un-readable or 1 inch by 1 inch.

On the other hand there is quite a bit of concern over something relitively minor. 90% of the time the timing system works, heaven forbid someone has to struggle, maybe even squint their eyes, to make out a number once in awhile (on one or two machines). How hard can it be to resort to 'the black bike with the red leathers' every once in awhile? It's not like we all look the same out there (I've been there taking pictures and each bike and rider are very distinctive). We don't all ride the same bike, rarely if ever there are more than a couple of the same year, same style bike on the track (let alone the same color) at once and it's not like we cater to riders from all over the Canada and the US, it's always the same guys with exception of one or two 'out of towners'. Seriously stop fretting and getting all anal at the 'club level' peeps.

YZF1000jon

There is a minimum size and background required by the rulebook, starting with bringing everyone up to that will make a big difference. Squinting to make out a number on "one or two machines" is not the point of the rule. When 20 bikes come out of corner 9 together and your number can't be read by the 2 volunteers (who don't care what colour your bike and pretty matching leathers are) that are backup for the timing system that included you in the 10% missed, any contingency money (or placement cash for the endurance race) goes to someone else. This is reason enough to make sure numbers are sufficiently readable, let alone any safety, flagging, or incident identification. It's a simple rule with more than enough reasons to be in place, and a minor cost to fix.

jetfixer15

Since I started this thread and it seems to have gone a bit awry, let me clarify what I began.

I simply wanted to see the rule applied to every racer to make it easier for our volunteers, as they are essential to club race day operation and anything we as racers can do to make things easier for them should be done. It also makes it easier for spectators to identify bikes by number as fans associate numbers with riders, like 46 for Rossi, 21 for Bayliss, 17 for Duhamel, etc.

I am not trying to railroad anyone. Those who actualy know me understand I am not that type of person at all. My comment about painting number backgrounds was an offer to do it for free for anyone who wasn't able to paint one on or who ran out of time to do so. I was putting out an offer to help other racers, especially the new ones who look for and need help. This keeps them involved in our sport and builds the sense of community we have in the pits and with each other.

If for some reason you have issues with what I have said or anyone else regarding this topic I invite you to come and talk to me at the bike show on 15 Jan (Friday) after 5pm. I will be more than happy to hear what you have to say as exchanges of ideas is how the best solutions arise. I appreaciate everyones input into this topic thread. Please understand that my only intentions are to make things better for our club and easier for all involved, racers, volunteers, officials and fans.

Last edited:

Dean

LOL, Oldskool! I think we'd get along quite well. I was at the back of the class, with a full blonde and sometimes black tipped mohawk. I was regional champion for a few track and field events, so I wasn't really picked last.

However, having worked for my club, the WMRC for about 6 years now, I've held jobs in the announcing tower, been promotions director, and worked the corners as a safety worker. I've also been the sounding board for many fans that come to watch racing. All of them want to see bigger numbers. Our corner workers, regarded as some of the best in North America (and I'm not kidding about that! Dorna and FIM always request them for events in the USA) have made this their chief complaint. They do this stuff for us for free, so we pretty much comply with what they say. We don't really get to race without them, so we do as they ask within reason. This one request was very reasonable.

The whole point being is that this is one of the simplest rules to comply to, with resources readily at any track to make it easy for just a few dollars if you are not compliant. We don't even get more money, so it's not a cash grab on our part.

I say, if you want to stand out, don't do it with small stylized numbers and fancy paint jobs. Do it by winning races or having fun, or both.

oldskool

I say, if you want to stand out, don't do it with small stylized numbers and fancy paint jobs. Do it by winning races or having fun, or both.

What can I say? .........I like a little show with my go.

Last edited:
Has it been determined who is being railroaded yet?? That's all I wanna know ;)

My comments were in jest of course to earlier references...

Does this mean that I will fail tech when I show up with my fancy chrome numbers though????

On a more serious note though, I can understand the concern with the numbers. Some bikes have numbers that are hard to read in the pits. I'm all for correcting this but I'm not sure alot of us can find the room for 8" numbers.

Planepower

On a more serious note though, I can understand the concern with the numbers. Some bikes have numbers that are hard to read in the pits. I'm all for correcting this but I'm not sure alot of us can find the room for 8" numbers.

I know for a fact i bought 8" numbers, but they had to be trimmed on some edges so they would fit on my fairing and not dangle in the air - i dont think 8" numbers are practical anymore with factory fairings these days - unless we need to go back to the late '80's & 90's fairings.
Placing them on the front fairings is an option, but some of them are shaped and sculted so as numbers may also be unreadable.

Perhaps not being so 'anal' about size and focusing on legiblility is more realistic.