Castrol Road Course

Dave86

The last I heard was the second half of the track still needs to have the base laid down next year, followed by an FIM top coat over the entire track, then all the landscaping around it needs to be completed, so realistically 2014 is probably the soonest we could start booking events, assuming there aren't any more delays next year.

Fireman

Any further news on this course?
IS EMRA considering adding it to the schedule for 2013? Heard that some of it has new paving, not sure how much though, and more to be done by spring of 2013.

If not EMRA, anyone heard if Calgary was considering it?

Castrol won't be available to rent to the EMRA or any other "competition" organisations until 2014 from the source I spoke to.

sand.man

Just out of curiosity, if/when it is complete, how would we as a club utilize it if at all?

Would we still run all of our main rounds at Stratotech, but run additional rounds at Castrol to be scored as a separate series (A La WCC)?

I guess the foundation of the answer to this question is laid over Stratotech's future.

Planepower

Just out of curiosity, if/when it is complete, how would we as a club utilize it if at all?

Would we still run all of our main rounds at Stratotech, but run additional rounds at Castrol to be scored as a separate series (A La WCC)?

I guess the foundation of the answer to this question is laid over Stratotech's future.

Best to come out to the AGM and find out more.

Dean

Race organizations here on the Coast that have access to more than 1 track tend to split their season between tracks, with points counting to both.

I think the EMRA has to weigh the costs/benefits of doing this. In Washington, they have 2 tracks, and the tracks themselves provide the safety equipment like Stratotech does for you guys. It's a no-brainer for them.

If Castrol is going to require that the EMRA provide their own safety equipment, as has been speculated, then that's a massive cost just to run that track, when you already enjoy that stuff at Stratotech. I think any exec would be hard pressed to come up with a concrete answer to that.

It takes a LOT of people and equipment to run a race day successfully, and a lot of us in the background really have little idea of the amount of logistics that go into a day.

Racin Jason

Race organizations here on the Coast that have access to more than 1 track tend to split their season between tracks, with points counting to both.

I think the EMRA has to weigh the costs/benefits of doing this. In Washington, they have 2 tracks, and the tracks themselves provide the safety equipment like Stratotech does for you guys. It's a no-brainer for them.

If Castrol is going to require that the EMRA provide their own safety equipment, as has been speculated, then that's a massive cost just to run that track, when you already enjoy that stuff at Stratotech. I think any exec would be hard pressed to come up with a concrete answer to that.

It takes a LOT of people and equipment to run a race day successfully, and a lot of us in the background really have little idea of the amount of logistics that go into a day.

Dean has a good point. If the club will be required to buy a bunch of equipment, that is one thing, but the work it takes to take down and set up is another.
I have helped Dan take down and set up the limited amount of crash protection for years. It's actually more work than you think. And that's only three corners worth. The first time Knappy and I went to Mission, Justin volunteered us to help the Mission club set up. Again it was a lot of work.
I think some day we will be looking back at The Stratotech Days with fond nostalgia, as we remember what an awesome track owner Dan was.

Arctic Donkey

Though I missed T6 and the bus-stop, after I raced at Stratotech the choice to switch from Calgary was obvious. How the track was run was a big part of that. A new track would be exciting but I'm in no hurry to switch especially if it is going to stress club resources.

In Calgary I often felt that bikes were treated like second class citizens compared to the cages. I have never felt that with Dan and wonder how it might be at Castrol.

Last edited:

Dean

Wow, at Mission we don't even rate 2nd class! You were lucky to get that high on a track that caters to cars :(

I'm hoping that Castrol will offer a positive experience for all motorsports.

Jason Henton

"however Phase One will be available for private and organized group rentals for lapping and event purposes in the spring."

So is anyone doing this?

Planepower

Wow, at Mission we don't even rate 2nd class! You were lucky to get that high on a track that caters to cars :(

I'm hoping that Castrol will offer a positive experience for all motorsports.

This seems to be my biggest fear. Coming from the time Race City opened its doors, I remember the struggles trying to arrange dates, practice times and even having the facilities open (bathrooms unlocked and then concession) during our club events. I remember one AGM where it was even considered to disband. When I was helping a friend back during the IROC challenge in Westwood, I remember the derogatory comments against 2 wheel machines when I introduced myself. There still seems to be a division between cars and bikes. Lets hope the Castrol owners will be accommodating.

turn8

"however Phase One will be available for private and organized group rentals for lapping and event purposes in the spring."

So is anyone doing this?

they say $4500- 10,000 a day...

the car guys have a schedule setup this year..
NASCC ROAD RACING SCHEDULE (UPDATE) 2013

May 25/26 school weekend. Short track
June 15-16 Road Racing Events #1 (SHORT COURSE)
July 13-14 Road Racing Events #2 (SHORT COURSE)
August 24-25 Road Racing Events #3 (LONG COURSE)
Sept 14-15 NASCC INTERNATIONAL GT CHAMPIONSHIP Event #4 (LONG COURSE)

Ryno

they say $4500- 10,000 a day...

the car guys have a schedule setup this year..
NASCC ROAD RACING SCHEDULE (UPDATE) 2013

May 25/26 school weekend. Short track
June 15-16 Road Racing Events #1 (SHORT COURSE)
July 13-14 Road Racing Events #2 (SHORT COURSE)
August 24-25 Road Racing Events #3 (LONG COURSE)
Sept 14-15 NASCC INTERNATIONAL GT CHAMPIONSHIP Event #4 (LONG COURSE)

Is that scheduled at castrol?

turn8

Jet boat racing season almost here ! ( castrol Road course under there )

644608_10151550611365138_494189745_n.jpg

Andrew

I read the entire thread and I have a question regarding the fencing at castrol. With stratotech closing this year what are they doing with their safety fencing? Could castrol not purchase them at a discount and hence make "some" of your concerns go away regarding certain corners?
I am new to motorcycling and am wanting to start road racing in the near future, I even rode out to castrol raceway today....the gates were left open so I rode all the way up to the track. I couldn't see much but what I did see was them placing concrete barriers along what looks like the pit lane area/straight.