Classes... Advice needed

Rodrigo

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your help.

I am trying to figure out what classes to run, I completed my 4 novice races and I am considering jumping to an intermediate class, but which one(s)?

I have a 2017 r6, I'm still learning and have a lot to learn, so I don't want to step into the fire and make myself a dangerous moving pylon for everyone else.

NOVICE again? I gained roughly 14sec in my first weekend (1.50 to 1.37) and did it safely, miracles don't happen, but I would love to be around the 1.30--1.33 this round.

FORMULA 112--- I'm slow enough (1.36), so I can run this class, but am I too slow?

What is the difference in these two classes, and am I too slow?:
INTERMEDIATE / EXPERT 600SS
INTERMEDIATE / EXPERT 600 SUPERBIKE

INTERMEDIATE EXPERT OPEN SPORT BIKE
-- I'm too slow for this class?

INTERMEDIATE EXPERT SUPERBIKE
-- I'm too slow for this class?

SENIOR OPEN (OPEN TO RIDER 35 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER)
I'm old enough, but am I too slow?

Shredder780

Hi Rodrigo,
I'm an intermediate racer, but I'm still fairly new to racing and I was where you are now last year, so I felt compelled to give you my perspective.

2 schools' of thought are:
1) Riding with faster guys makes you faster. - Absolutely true. But if there is a huge gap in pace, you won't benefit as much and you are without a doubt putting yourself more at risk of crashing. (not my idea of fun)

2) Take your time. - "ride your bike, don't let it ride you." Meaning, let your skill drive your lap times down and not just making the bike work harder and late braking every corner to try to pick up time. (late braking is not a sustainable long-term solution, tried it.) I - like everyone else, has to make it to work on Monday.

When I first started doing track days at Castrol, trying to go under a 1:40 lap was me on the verge of crashing at any given time. I've had 3 crashes riding like this at Castrol and each crash ruined my day. My margin of error back then to hit a line lap to lap was probably 30%; so to ride safe I should have been riding at 60-70% max. Now my margin of error to hit a line lap to lap is like 10%; therefore I can ride 80%-90% safely. Top guys in the club doing 1:20s' margin of error to hit a line lap to lap is probably <5%; So they can ride 90-95% all day long and make it look easy.

This year I ride with a lot of self preservation (probably more than most racers' lol), but now 1:29/1:30 laps come very routine, stress-free, and I generally feel "safe" to race. Everyone's goal is to get "fast right now"; I don't doubt I could ride harder and shave off a second or two off my PB lap (if I don't crash in process first)...but then I'm right back to "the bike riding me" again. I am honestly enjoying the sport WAY more than I ever have by trying to solve the track one corner at a time to pick up a few 10ths of a second here and there, learning more and more about the bike and riding, and celebrate the small personal victories round to round. NO CRASHES = MAXIMUM FUN

Classes:
I ride a 2007 R6, and the only events I'm doing this year are 600 SuperSport, Formula 112, and Sportsman. I'm a mid-pack guy, I'm okay with that. I'm biding my time until I am comfortably doing 1:25/1:26s, and only at that point will I actually start a race with the intent to try to podium.

So for you - Don't be in a rush. If riding faster really gets your anxiety revved up, then maybe holding back in Novice for rounds 4/5/6 is the best choice; no shame in that at all. However, If you are comfortable with your riding, then by all means jump into Intermediate. If you do, for you; I would recommend 600 SuperSport, Formula 112, and Senior Open. I don't think you're too slow for these; you'll almost certainly get pulled to a mid-low 1:3x lap by the end of the year. The big difference in 600 SuperSport to 600 Superbike is that you need a qualifying time to race in Superbike and is comparatively faster.

My $.02. Hope this helps!

-Kris

electrobiker86

Kris' response is awesome, failing to heed his advice would not be wise. Potential winner for this years most improved rider award too, IMO.

If you are lapping less than 1:40 then you are not too slow for any of the classes. Most of us started right where you are now, so it easy for us to spot the newer people that need some coaching, and space on the track.