"Endurance" racing

MyTTwin

Like the addition of the FAST 25 and the changes made to the endurance race we are looking at the idea of adding an "endurance race" to the practice day on race weekends and would like your input.

The idea is not really an endurance race as such because it is only suggested to be the last hour or two of practice, so perhaps better described as a team sprint race?? One bike per "team" held on the practice day before each round with exception to Round 4.

Would you be interested in something like this and if so what suggestions do you have to make this appealing to you and others?

Thanks for your input.

JDstealth

I liked the way race city did their endurance races, allowing a "team" to only one rider which allows people looking for more track time or test/tune time without long waits between sessions.

Last edited:
don't the idea in my opinion. When I went to Calgary, paid $140 for practice and only got 3-4 sessions in. Then if I wanted to practice more, I would have to pay extra just to take part in the endurance/practice. To me it was kind of a ripe off.

If you put in a endurance race during a practice day, I would not mind if we still got the same amount of track time and the endurance race was ran after.

MyTTwin

I liked the way race city did their endurance races, allowing a "team" to only one rider which allowing people looking for more track time or test/tune time without the long waits between sessions.

don't the idea in my opinion. When I went to Calgary, paid $140 for practice and only got 3-4 sessions in. Then if I wanted to practice more, I would have to pay extra just to take part in the endurance/practice. To me it was kind of a ripe off.

If you put in a endurance race during a practice day, I would not mind if we still got the same amount of track time and the endurance race was ran after.

Thanks for the input, I'm guessing this would be run similar to the "endurance race" run on Calgary's practice days.

LegitxORxQuit, I don't believe this is possible to run after 5:00 as the ambulance must leave at that time, however IF this were to run the last hour of the practice day there would be seven sessions before this "race". Plus, I'm not sure there would be an extra expense to the practice day fee.

As I saw it the track was pretty empty the last hour or two with maybe one or two riders out there per session and sometimes none..

This is just an idea to fill the track at the end of the day and for those interested in getting in some long track time.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated...

DEFBOY35

i like the idea as long as like chris said it doesnt add to the cost of practice.

and making use of the valuable track at the end of the day sounds good as well.

JDS

probably already considered. What about taking this time slot & putting a couple other races that are hard to squeeze into Sun. A strictly Motard race & perhaps the 2nd SBK race that some of us want. SBK 1 (20 - 25 laps) It might be interesting.

There usually isnt to many riders practicing after 3. Though I do believe this is going to boil down to volunteers again.

Last edited:

YZF1000jon

Volunteers are always a concern as most of the practice days were run strictly from the tower with no corner workers at all. Personally I like keeping race day, race day, and practice separate. That's me though.

With all this talk of a second superbike race, I'd like to see the interest there first, If I recall correctly there wasn't a full grid for the Fast 25 this year, and it is a superbike race with a cash payout even. If the interest is there then sure, but we built it, and they haven't come yet, so...

MyTTwin

On the note of a second Superbike race: I like the idea of two races per weekend for a championship of 12 races rather than 6 but times slots are probably the most difficult hurdle. Finding time to run two extra races on Sunday (Pro and Amateur) in an already full schedule. I think the FAST 25 was a success in its first season, but would certainly like to see a full grid there for entertainment value :) Are there any other suggestions to make it more appealing to fill the grid to 25? I've heard suggestions of running a reverse grid or random gridding, make the race no charge rather than $20 without payout... Not sure either of those would fill the grid.... ?? Are there any other suggestions?

I, like Jon, prefer the practice day and race day separated... The idea of an "endurance race" at the end of the practice day is a race as such with points, however most would use this as an exercise/testing session... Plus, it could just turn into a team racing effort?? All I can reiterate is the idea was to fill the lack of track time used at the end of the day... and with the lack of input so far tells me this endurance race idea is a dead one ;p

Planepower

On the note of a second Superbike race: I like the idea of two races per weekend for a championship of 12 races rather than 6 but times slots are probably the most difficult hurdle. Finding time to run two extra races on Sunday (Pro and Amateur) in an already full schedule. I think the FAST 25 was a success in its first season, but would certainly like to see a full grid there for entertainment value :) Are there any other suggestions to make it more appealing to fill the grid to 25? I've heard suggestions of running a reverse grid or random gridding, make the race no charge rather than $20 without payout... Not sure either of those would fill the grid.... ?? Are there any other suggestions?

I, like Jon, prefer the practice day and race day separated... The idea of an "endurance race" at the end of the practice day is a race as such with points, however most would use this as an exercise/testing session... Plus, it could just turn into a team racing effort?? All I can reiterate is the idea was to fill the lack of track time used at the end of the day... and with the lack of input so far tells me this endurance race idea is a dead one ;p

I think what some people are eluding to is to make the Fast 25 a SBK #1 race, therefore opening up a time slot. I know there is another time slot we can open up that has poor rider turnout (I know this will sound bad coming from me, but the introduction of a Woman's Plate or placing Womens open into a combined race schedule would open another slot.) and that can be the other SBK #1 race (Pro or AM).

An endurance Race after 3pm Saturdays seems alright, just not sure how we could keep track of that class in regards to points or payout. Do we pre-register the teams at seasons beginning, and points based on overall placing?
For ice racing, we have classes and team names. Not sure how strict we should get with it. Perhaps its easier to just hold it as a 2 hr race that is done on one bike (and number of riders not important) without a season long points accruement. Therefore just turning it into a 2 hr long practice session with a podium at the end.

MyTTwin

Yes, to combine the Women's Open into another class (such as Senior Open) would open up another time slot and if the FAST 25 was to be eliminated there would be two time slots open for a second SBK race in both Amateur and Pro classes... I'm sure this well be a popular discussion come Dec 7th..

I believe something very simple for the endurance race is best... One registered bike and "team" name to start the season, number of riders is not important but points accumulated for position each weekend is not a big deal.. That said, again, there doesn't seem to be to much interest for something like this and if that's the case this change would not result in more bikes on track for the last two hours of practice days.

Lehbs

One of the problems with the endurance race with the CMRA was that many who raced in it did it solely for the practice as it was only $50, and you often got more laps using it as an open track practice than you did for the day long practice at $140. Take round one last year as an example. The first two sessions of the morning had the track temperature barely above freezing and so many skipped the first and just rode to familiarize themselves again with the track for the second. Then got in 2 hot sessions before lunch, take a break. Go again for the first session after lunch, in one of the groups someone goes down and the second one after lunch gets shortened to allow for the endurance race to get out on the track on time. Literally you just paid out almost tripple for less time on track than you could get at the endurance race. Ok not quite as when in the endurance if racing by yourself, you took a couple of breaks, but for $50 you were getting almost a lap per dollar. And in the case of the practice sessions, as it was for 3 of our 5 weekends, the track was either freezing cold, or had standing water on it for (being pumped off by gas powered pumps, not just puddles) you didn't ride the first session and maybe the second, so only got a maximum 5 sessions in. The day seemed really short to be shutting down by 2:30 for the endurance race. I didn't like it.

YZF1000jon

At the moment I don't believe we've decided on time or cost for the race, we are trying to judge interest and build from that. Our prices and organizing are different than Calgary as our Practice day is only $90 and we can turn practice to racing faster than 1/2 an hour. We could run 2 hours, 1 1/2, 1 hour. That's why we want peoples feedback, How long would they like to see. And the big argument for the E-race is the fact that later in the afternoon, there aren't nearly as many riders out practicing as earlier in the day. If we want to run the race, schedule it in, but no one registers, we can always just extend practice back to what it was before, hence the beauty of holding it on Saturday. Cost would certainly be a concern, but it's up to the interested parties to decide what might be a reasonable price, anyone?