Getting into Racing

JDstealth

I need some opinions on how to get going.

Just bought a 04 R6 race bike, had damaged fairings rear sets ect. I have the bike ready to go now im just waiting on a few DZUS fastners and a couple odds and ends.

I would really like to get into racing this year but I haven't taken a Race licencing course, Justin is offering one 22&23 although this is also the weekend that I was planning on attending the Indy.

I have only been riding for a year now, and will only be able to attend 3? races after the school. Do you think it's worth it or should I stick to track days and OTP lessons for this year? I wouldn't mind volunteering a couple times but I know once I get out there I will not want to watch!

As a side note what else should I prepare for track days, I have a set of warmers but don't have a gen yet. Is it critical that I use the warmers between sessions? I have all gear needed but im wondering if i should have spare rear sets, handle bars, levers...? Whats your advice on tires, I have a set of rains and a set of Diablo Supercorsas used for one track day. Will I be ok on street tires afterwards, should I use takeoffs?

Also have a full Akra exhaust that I can install instead of the stocker, just not sure if it will be too loud.

Last edited:

cyclecrazy

Take the OTP School, race the days you can in EMRA and also CMRA. Track days are very fun, good practice and social events. Racing is just plain exciting beyond belief, go fast in Traffic!

Just an Opinion

Last edited:

JDstealth

Where do I find the CMRA scheduel? Also the track days date and day do not seem to correlate, is it a different year that im looking at?

ex. Sun July 23 all day track attack
taken from stratotech.ca

JDstealth

Should I trust the numbers? 23-24 both say Sunday. Another one says Tuesday July 3, when the 3rd actually falls on a Sunday.....

sand.man

Having raced a couple years without warmers (not at stratotech) and then finally buying a set of warmers I would say yes, it is definitely worth getting a generator to run the warmers.

if you need some more advice on what you need to start racing...

I am not around alot lately to monitor the forum. But if you have some further questions, you can reach me by phone. My son Royce has raced Yamaha's for several years. They are a great bike and we would be more than willing to give you some advice to get you started.

Todd mclean
403 345 6855

JDstealth

Thanks I'll give you a shout once I get going and figure the bike out a bit. It's a full out race bike, steve dicks old bike.

What contingency is there for yamaha's? I want to do a m1 Valencia paint job and the bikes already painted white. Hopefully that conforms.

sand.man

Pretty sure there's only tire contingency... Pirelli is offering big discounts on tires and Michelin offers payouts on an Extreme card or whatever it is called ;)

If you have one of Steve's old bikes, then Todd Mclean probably has already had his handr on it, and his son Royce has probably riden it aswell. These are two people whos' help you definately want. Once you start racing you'll know why.

For sure get a gen set and run your warmers. Your tires will last longer and you'll likely save yourself some crashes also. Spares are always good to have on hand. It would suck to lose out on a days activities because you didn't bring those few extra bits.

Good luck, and I hope to see you out there soon.

Oh yeah, I highly recomend Justins' OTP. Top shelf instruction from a top shelf guy!

Cheers,
Norm