HELP! Can not remove from sprocket

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
Hi guys,

I need to remove my front sprocket, but for the life of me can not get the nut off the output shaft.

I have tried a wrench with a long (>3') pipe on it.
I have tried heating the nut with a torch.
And I have tried combining both.

I don't have an impact wrench, and the nut is a square nut, so I don't have a socket that would fit it anyway.

Does anyone have any advice about how to get this thing off?

zZoHWNJ.jpg

6AMiWpD.jpg

Ausmark23

I've been in your exact position before. Having someone help out is a big bonus. You should make sure the tranny is in neutral and secure the rear tire from spinning. A ratchet strap around the swingarm and a spoke of the rim. Really whatever works without doing damage. Once its solid you just need the elbow grease and torque the nut off. I could be wrong but doesn't look like the proper sprocket nut...looks like way too many threads not being used. Best of luck!

blam

Administrator
go to candian tire and get yourself an electric impact and some liquid penetrant. the impact is usually on sale for like $50 or so.

if using a cheater bar, get your girlfriend/friend/dad/mom/dog to "stand" on the rear brake while you use the rachet strap method above.

the socket is not square. its likely the large hex shaped lip at the far back of that nut-27ish mm? invest in a quality 6 sided impact hex bit (not 12 sided-they tend to slip more)

if you want to get super anal, have the face of the bit grinded flat. this will give you more surface area with your socket since they come with rounded faces.

I did this for a socket for my ducati and it works like a charm.

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
Thanks guys.
I'm going to get the impact socket that fits that nut (thanks Brian for pointing that out), and then ratchet strap the rear tire. I had been using a 2x2 chunk of wood in the back spokes, but I broke that in half.

I'll let you know when I get it off.

Classic Kawi.

You just need a bigger snipe, or a bigger impact.

I have consistent success with a lot of heat on the nut, a 6 foot snipe, wood through the wheel, and someone standing on the rear brake.

Fireman

A impact will work alot better than a snipe. Purchase a good impact and socket. I believe that there is a 27mm nut on the back side of that. The part that you are applying pressure to right now is the pickup for the speed sensor.

You may need heat for that guy.

Good luck!!

I believe that there is a 27mm nut on the back side of that. The part that you are applying pressure to right now is the pickup for the speed sensor.

Oh, dang. Good spot.

Ya, it's 27mm. Get a 6 point socket that fits it good.

I seem to run into one Kawi every year that my "750ft-lbs" impact can't crack. Takes most of my body weight on a 6ft snipe to bust those suckers.

Nevets

EMRA Executive Member
I was able to get it off!!

tTcjjCq.jpg

27mm impact socket, PB Blaster, propane torch, 3' snipe, with a 4' pipe on it...
But she's off.

Thanks for all the help guys.

AleksV

That's great. Make sure you tighten it back on properlyproperly. I lost my front sprocket nut at strato, noticed it with sprocket almost falling off