Is bodywork required?

Eatoniashoprat

Hi,
I'm new to this scene and have looked through the competition handbook a few times but just wanted to double check this here.

If a sportbike didn't come from the factory as a naked version can you run it without bodywork as a naked bike?

Just wondering as I'd like to pick up a bike that is missing the bodywork, I'd likely put some on eventually but would like to start the season without.

Thanks

Mike

jetfixer15

Bodywork is not mandatory and many sportbikes have been raced without it, however in lieu of a belly pan section 5.2 of the rulebook states:

Route all vent, breather, or overflow tubes coming from the engine, transmission, or radiator into either a heatresistant
catch can of at least 350cc capacity, or the air box, which must be
sealed to prevent fluid leakage. The
airbox may remain unsealed provided the bike is fitted with a closed belly pan.

Simply put, you will need a fluid catch can if you don't have a belly pan.

Eatoniashoprat

Thanks Aaron, exactly what I was looking for.

Mike

Bodywork is not mandatory and many sportbikes have been raced without it, however in lieu of a belly pan section 5.2 of the rulebook states:

Route all vent, breather, or overflow tubes coming from the engine, transmission, or radiator into either a heatresistant
catch can of at least 350cc capacity, or the air box, which must be sealed to prevent fluid leakage. The
airbox may remain unsealed provided the bike is fitted with a closed belly pan.

Simply put, you will need a fluid catch can if you don't have a belly pan.

YZF1000jon

Now my curiosity is piqued, what bike is this? Keep in mind that you still need somewhere to display race numbers of sufficient size on both the front and rear of the bike.

fonzy

Now my curiosity is piqued, what bike is this? Keep in mind that you still need somewhere to display race numbers of sufficient size on both the front and rear of the bike.

I belive for now mike will be on my street bike which is a crashed Triumph Daytona t595 , if we can find or make engine protection for it:cool:

Eatoniashoprat

Yup, see Steve's answer above ^.

It was also a generally question as for awhile I was thinking about a 675 which didn't have a naked (speed triple) equivalent.

jetfixer15

Good point about the numbers Jon. Square or round dirt bike number plates could be used in the absence of bodywork.