June 27th Exec Meeting Minutes

M87

Noticed that we are banning k&n filters. I don't really care too much,but, what is stated as fact in the minutes is wrong. I did a google search and no one has banned k&n only that I can find. CVMA has banned ALL aftermarket filters, not just k&n and motoamerica has banned all aftermarket filters but just on R1 motorcycles. WWMRA appears to banning all aftermarket filters as well.
It would appear that Kyle Wyman was using a k&n when his bike caught fire at coat in 2016 which was instrumental in starting the ban, and there is a website dedicated solely to k&n failures but we stand alone banning them.
Maybe it would have been smarter to follow the lead of larger organizations more closely than institute a partial solution.

Dave86

Noticed that we are banning k&n filters. I don't really care too much,but, what is stated as fact in the minutes is wrong. I did a google search and no one has banned k&n only that I can find. CVMA has banned ALL aftermarket filters, not just k&n and motoamerica has banned all aftermarket filters but just on R1 motorcycles. WWMRA appears to banning all aftermarket filters as well.
It would appear that Kyle Wyman was using a k&n when his bike caught fire at coat in 2016 which was instrumental in starting the ban, and there is a website dedicated solely to k&n failures but we stand alone banning them.
Maybe it would have been smarter to follow the lead of larger organizations more closely than institute a partial solution.

I don't see this as a "partial solution". The reason other organizations made a blanket ban on aftermarket filters was because of the K&N failures (the rules were instated after the incident you mentioned).

We discussed making a blanked ban on aftermarket filters, but after debating it we decided it would be unfair to disallow our members from running good quality aftermarket filters (in some cases built better than OEM) just because of manufacturing issues with a single brand. If other brands are identified or known to be causing issues, we can add them to the banned list.

We certainly pay attention to what other organizations are doing, but if we believe we have a better or more fair solution we go with that.

Cdw46

Can we wait for the next oil change for this? My bike is edmonton. Wasn't planning on being up there until next round. I believe mines a k and n

Cdw46

In my opinion if there is a problem with k and n ( I have been running it for a couple years with no problem) if the one I have on now is faulty it would have failed already. I do not claim to be an oil filter expert though....

blam

Administrator
Hey Mike,

we did discuss the ban of ALL aftermarket filters, but there are many reputable companies that make good aftermarket filters.
In my opinion if there is a problem with k and n ( I have been running it for a couple years with no problem) if the one I have on now is faulty it would have failed already. I do not claim to be an oil filter expert though....

Not all K&N filters will fail. if that was the case, they would be out of business. The reason we are banning K&N is because we have had incidents with them in the past, and only with K&N. they are just proving to be more prone to failure.

not only have they failed, but failed with a safety system in place(safety wire)

on that note, this is why its very important to make sure your safety wire is snug, not over twisted and secured to a proper anchor.

DEFBOY35

To the best of my understanding k&n WILL NOT pass tech for round 4. So plan to pick up a new filter, if you plan to run in the states at all I would recommend an oem filter to avoid any potential conflicts with other organizations tech requirements.

Cdw46

I understand that..my point was I would like to get my money's worth out of this oil and filter and get a different one next time if possible. I'm saying that after a couple days of riding, if this particular filter that's on the bike now was going to fail, it would have already. I am assuming that changing the filter without changing the oil would end up in a big mess. And that's 100 bux worth of oil and filter right there

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
I understand that..my point was I would like to get my money's worth out of this oil and filter and get a different one next time if possible. I'm saying that after a couple days of riding, if this particular filter that's on the bike now was going to fail, it would have already. I am assuming that changing the filter without changing the oil would end up in a big mess. And that's 100 bux worth of oil and filter right there

As a mechanic by trade and a racer at heart I can't believe you would risk your safety and the safety of others on track getting a few more days of use out of that oil filter. What's to stop you from just replacing the filter and topping up the oil? It's a $20 fix and 5 minute job. I'll gladly buy you an OEM filter and help you replace it next round. Just let me know what bike you ride.

M87

Every other race organization that decided to ban filters either banned all filters, or all filters for one specific model.
That is a fact.
When you say that there are aftermarket filters "in some cases built better than OEM", that may be true or it may not, unless you have data to back it up, that is an opinion.
K&N claims their filters are better than OEM too. I guess they are free to their opinion.
I cannot find anything saying "because of the K&N failures, we are banning all aftermarket filters". And I did read all the various press releases. Having said that, I don't believe that banning all aftermarket filters after some of the catastrophic failures, reportedly by K&N filters, was a coincidence. Again this is an opinion.
I am also fairly certain that an organization like CVMA doesn't have the resources to check which filters are most likely to cause problems so they decided to ban all aftermarket filters, just to be safe.One more opinion.
I do believe that Motoamerica has the technical expertise to evaluate aftermarket components and make sound decisions based on their own data. One more opinion but based on the intricate, detailed, and explicit rules they write covering every detail of the sport.
Based on the information they had, as of 4/16/2016 they banned ALL filters for 2015/16 R1 except ELEMENT ASSY, OIL CL 5GH-13440-50-00 (the OEM).
What I am saying is, the EMRA has decided to ban filters that Motoamerica has decided to allow, while at the same time allowing filters they decided to prohibit.
There is a K&N on my bike now and among other things I actually torque my filter :(. I also check it carefully for leaks because, from what I had been able to gather, it was an o-ring problem that caused the fire. Either the o-ring didn't seat properly in it's groove or there was an outright failure, either way I run the engine and look for leaks as per the manual.
I am planning on changing oil before the next round and I will be putting an OEM filter on at that time.
Why?
Because I think some people smarter than me at Motoamerica said it's the only one they trust on the R1.
Sure is going to look funny with a Yamaha filter on a Kawasaki though.

DEFBOY35

And Shane K&N are fine in Utah. WERA CVMA and Motoamerica...not so much.
And believe me. It sucks that I have a stock pile of k&n from the days they were still being made before they went to the cheaper manufacturing facility that are now nice little paper weights.

But. Safety is key.

I'm curious if utahsba' s take on the filters will change with recent incidents this season.

Cdw46

As a mechanic by trade and a racer at heart I can't believe you would risk your safety and the safety of others on track getting a few more days of use out of that oil filter. What's to stop you from just replacing the filter and topping up the oil? It's a $20 fix and 5 minute job. I'll gladly buy you an OEM filter and help you replace it next round. Just let me know what bike you ride.

Well I disagree that it is a safety issue. If it was it would have been last round too and all of sudden mid season its an issue.

But I'm not here to argue about that. I am not a mechanic. I was just assuming that a lot of oil would come out while trying to change the filter resulting in a huge mess if i dont dump the oil. It sounds like that's not the case according to your post? If that's the case, not such a big deal. I have never changed just a filter for obvious reasons so I don't know

Goatse

Well I disagree that it is a safety issue. If it was it would have been last round too and all of sudden mid season its an issue.

But I'm not here to argue about that. I am not a mechanic. I was just assuming that a lot of oil would come out while trying to change the filter resulting in a huge mess if i dont dump the oil. It sounds like that's not the case according to your post? If that's the case, not such a big deal. I have never changed just a filter for obvious reasons so I don't know

All of the oil will not leak out of your bike. You're fine to remove just the filter, and you'd only have to top up 250-500ml (I'm guessing).

M87

Shane I can't find any recent racing incidents this season. There is one guy with an R6 on a forum but with a street bike.The others were all the spring of 2016.

DEFBOY35

Maybe I'll switch to Hiflo filters, any thoughts?
Apparently they are made in the same factory k&n us d to be made in before they went to shit.
I could be wrong but olegs bike had a catastrophic failure which ended in a fire ball in round 2