Mini road racing

yak

Hi

I am planning to try mini road racing at Strathmore this year. I am wondering if anyone else from the EMRA will be out there this year.

I am planning on prepping a CRF100F, but I have also seen some CBR125s that look interesting. Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated. I am just looking to get out and have some 2 wheel fun. My definition of fun is close racing.

If people have suggestions or recommendations for someone new to the sport I would be curious to learn from your experience.

Thanks

tcasey87

Sandi & I r planning to race Amra again this year.
If $ allow, I would recommend that you race two bikes - thunder bike (crf100) & formula supersport (cbr125). That way you will get four races per day, instead of just two.
There are lots of good thunder racers & last year quite a few EMRA racers rode cbr125 & they were fast - Lee Brady, max ducap, Neil Carlson, Ryan McGowan
The motard class is a great class as well - there are a couple of young boys who r very fast
Super moto is another way to go
The Amra Facebook page is good source of info & bikes for sale
https://m.facebook.com/groups/5554984359/?view=group
Kent

tcasey87

Ps in the thunder class, the Yamaha ttr 125 seems to be the bike of choice (front disc brake compared to drum brake on the Crf 100) - the new Crf 125 is not as fast as the ttr 125

yak

Thanks for the info.

I already have a crf100 so that is why it is my first choice. I figured on bikes this size that brakes wouldn't be that important. :)

What are the preferred tires for the Thunder bikes?

I am looking for fun close racing; so if I'm too slow then I'll have to get a faster bike. If I can find others at my pace then mission accomplished.

At this point I am mainly looking at the weekday evening practices (if those still exist).

yak

Thanks Kent. I've read some comments on H vs V rated options in the Bridgestones. I expect these tires will last a long time so I may as well start out with the "right" tire.

The test and tunes are my starting plan.

tcasey87

Bridgestone Battlelax BT45
Front 100/90 - 19
Rear 110/90 - 16
as far as speed rating goes, if H is rated up to 130mph, and V is rated up to 149mph
then either will work >> given the HP of the CRF 100 and the size of the track

PS. the spring endurance is on April 23rd >> 3 hour race

yak

Thanks

Blame the tire rating question on internet research. I read that there was a significant difference in tire diameter between the H and V rated tires of the same size.

Clearly the 100 would have to be strapped to an RC213V to exceed a bicycle tire speed rating. :)