MotoGP COTA 2019

blam

Administrator
anyone up in here going down to see this?

I'm likely going to be down there. would love to meet up with anyone else from the club looking to go.

blam

Administrator
this will be my first.

work is shipping me off to houston and im 95% sure i will be in houston for it, so I will make the drive down for the weekend.

any tips?

Matt Stokes

I thought Friday and Saturday were the most interesting days. Lots of bikes on track, and not busy at all at COTA. All day Friday and Saturday morning, you could just buy a general admission pass (super cheap) and walk around the whole track, and pretty much walk into any grand stand you want to watch the action. You'll feel like you are missing the action if you buy a grand stand seat for these days. The track is huge and it's not busy.
By qualifying and definitely for the race, it starts to get busier. So you could consider buying a seat for the race, but it's definitely not necessary. There are great views from the grass areas all over the place. The turn 1 area is awesome.

blam

Administrator
Good to know

i wont be there for Friday unfortunately, so i will only see sat sun.

i was planning on getting a grand stand seat, but maybe general admission for Saturday. I wont know if ill be back in texas for a couple weeks yet so im sitting tight for now.

Matt Stokes

I would suggest getting general admission for Saturday, and possibly a grandstand for Sunday. If you get a grandstand seat for Saturday, I would suggest that you may feel like you're missing out on some of the action you will see by walking the track. Walking from turn 1 to turn 7, and watching turn 17, 18 and 19 is a great experience. The corner speed is crazy, especially from the smaller bikes.

For the race, the best grandstand is between turn 15 and turn 16. From there, you can see the breaking zone after the long back straight, and watch the bikes come through turns 12 to 16. There is also a jumbotron in this area so you can follow the race.

ehagar

I had a work trip last year in Houston and could only make the Sunday. Bought general admission and parking pass (I think I stayed in Lot F...) and drove Houston to COTA early in the morning. Not a bad drive at non-peak hours to get out of Houston. General admission wasn't that bad and I ended up walking the circuit to find good vantage points. The main grandstand area and the climb to turn one was nice (the elevation change is bigger than it looks on TV), but my favourite spot was actually turn 9. It was quite something to see the bikes squirm and front lift off as the charged towards the hairpin at turn 11. You could pretty much see from turn 6 to 14 as well, with a couple of good passing areas visible. Turns 2-6 weren't great viewing (IMO... not a great passing zone) and 14-16 had limited visibility. Can't comment on the main grandstand area as I was GA.

M87

We sat in grandstand by 16 and thought it was really good. Over the weekend we snuck in to other grandstand but I actually thought 16 was the best. You are close enough to really see how they are controlling the bikes and difference in style are quite obvious. You will want to wonder around the track though. I think it’s something like 4 miles if you want to walk all the way round.