Online Purchasing Scam

McLovin

Hey everyone,

Just a heads up, I am trying to sell my R6 online and put an ad on kijiji.ca
I fairly quickly got a reply from a suspicious looking gmail account with some sketchy english. Basically he said he will pay me the asking price and will send me money via paypal. Then he said he was having trouble paying his shipper and asked to include the shipping cost in the purchase price for me to pay the shipper via Western Union. Then I received an email stating that the money had been deposited in my paypal account. This was a fake paypal email with links and requesting personal information for me to authorize the payment. So now I'm stringing him along hoping that I can get the RCMP, paypal, and kijiji to catch this asshole.

Anyone else experience this?

YZF1000jon

Yup, they we're willing to pay $1000 for shipping on $600 worth of snow tires as they were out of the country on "assignment". That was the big hint, and as soon as western union came up, I began to hit delete.

mojobie

Yeah, I got pretty much the same lines.

Not sure how much the Police can do, but I wish you all the best in attempting to shut down this guy.

Ducbert

Just remember to hover cursor over links to verify what the link says is where you are about to go. Also, proper sites that are secure should be https and if you hover over the lock the site's security should match the identifier. Lots of phising scams out there......if they are not in CAD, nothing will or can be done.

LOL I just got one of those types of emails for an ad I put up

Person emailed me this:

Thanks for the response Does it need anything to be replace or repair?if theirs please specify,i will take it for the listed price,Payment will be sent using PayPal and i will handle the PayPal surcharge as well.I will arrange with someone to have this picked up for your location once i have paid as i am out of town at the moment.I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too,since i won't be be able to see this in person,what's the PayPal email to send funds to in order for me to pay you ASAP.

Regards,

My response:

I think I would like to be scammed by you and you can send me a fake cashiers check from a Nigerian bank account. Then you can have someone pick it up if you want without ever checking it out yourself. Would you like to do this deal. Let me know.

McLovin

LOL nice. My guy threatened to contact PayPal for legal action against me, since he already "paid" me! haha, I said go right ahead!

sv-racing-parts

:) I have seen and received so many of these offers it is a joke,

Never send these, I usually simply respond with, Nice Try, and hit Shift Delete,

Don't get sucked int to vortex,

See you all soon, the bike show is coming up fast,

Best regards,
Blair

RacerX

I had someone try to scam me on Kijiji when I was selling a bike, asking me to pay the shipping/insurance costs of the bike to ship it to Europe.

When I didn't take the bait he promptly put a Jamaican voodoo hex on me - haven't been the same since!

yak

I thought this was "funny". I listed my Daytona 675 on Kijiji and got the following inquiry.

"Hi, not sure if your interested but I have a very clean 2005 Kawasaki 1600 Vulcan cruiser with bags and windscreen, wondering if you'd be interested in a trade of some sort? I'm looking for a smaller bike to start my daughter on. thanks Rick in Calgary"