Track Attack Question

JohnnyR6

Hi all,

So May 6th will be my first track day and im EXCITED,

most of my questions have been answered by e-mail but im going to ask this one here and hope for a quick and speedy responce.

So i have payed for EMRA membership and i have payed for my track day,

But got both i only got a e-mail stating the order number, name, date of track day, as so on, and at the bottom is says that i will shortly receive a e-mail confirming. it also states to print this off and bring it with me, will printing it off confirm everything and be able to gain access?

Thanks

yak

Hi

It sounds like you should be good to go, but if you want verbal confirmation give Stratotech a call.

The EMRA helps at the track days as volunteers but the events are run by the track.

Live the dream!

Regards,

Todd

JohnnyR6

Oh ok ill give them a call then, i have talked with them and they confirmed the pre order number so hope all will be good. cant wait to get out there but not going to go very fast as this is my first time and im going to be riding my 09 R6 and i would hate for something to happen for being over confident.

JohnnyR6

Yeah i just need to find myself the rest of the gear (hoping argyll) will have something i'm looking for, Anyhow yeah im looking forward to meeting people, Ill be showing up in a 2012 black 4door Tacoma, and ill be riding a 2009 blue and black R6 with a full leo so i shouldn't be hard to spot so come say hi haha

JohnnyR6

I have a 2 pc suit so im all go on protection...... but i have a new problem, wile doing a test loading of the bike into the truck (never loaded a bike before) i found that i must have run over a rock or something and there is a small chip out of the rear tire the in in the center so it would not affect my cornering, it is not losing air, there is less then 2000kms on them. so now my question is, do i have to front more money on a new tire for this track day?

sand.man

Post a picture of said nick in the tire, pretty sure I raced all year with a big cut in my front tire, never bothered me. I run tubes in my tires though.

JohnnyR6

I am getting my roommate to send me a picture, i will post later on tonight, i personally am not worried about it, i just dont want to be told my bike doesnt meet inspection due to it. like i said its in the center so souldnt affect cornering...... ill update in a few hours

yak

Sand.man

I think you are sending the wrong message. Tires are likely the most important performance/safety factor on the track. I agree that a Track Attack host would not notice a small defect on a given bike, but it isn't their neck on the line either.

Granted a small "nick" in a tread block isn't going to have me throw an otherwise good tire away, but I wouldn't compromise much in this area.

Regards,

Todd

JohnnyR6

IMG-20120424-00329.jpg

IMG-20120424-00331.jpg

I do understand the importance of tires, however i only just noticed this when i did a test load and probably wouldn't have otherwise, i do want to get good track tires if i enjoy doing track days. and like i said its small and isnt causeing any problems with riding and with less then 2000kms on them they are like new.

JohnnyR6

What tire, and how old is it? New tires aren't necessarily a bad thing.

Dunlop qualifiers i do believe and i only got the bike in July last year (new out of the crate) the tires probably only have maybe 1700kms if i recall last time i checked the odo (which was Monday)

sand.man

Sand.man

I think you are sending the wrong message. Tires are likely the most important performance/safety factor on the track. I agree that a Track Attack host would not notice a small defect on a given bike, but it isn't their neck on the line either.

Granted a small "nick" in a tread block isn't going to have me throw an otherwise good tire away, but I wouldn't compromise much in this area.

Regards,

Todd

I totally agree, good performance tires in good condition are your best insurance for staying upright.

I guess the message I was trying to put across was to use your own judgement in this situation. I think tires are pretty tough, and little nicks and gouges in the rubber are bound to happen.

The comment about nobody looking at your tires was not to suggest going out on questionable equipment because no one is looking, but rather that nobody is going to stop you and send you packing for a minor defect in your tire.

JohnnyR6

Thanks guys, In NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM do i want to put myself at risk, and the fact that it is not on the sides or very big and to get threw this track day without having to spend more money and then have time to look into some new better tires instead of rushing out and buying the cheapest ones, i do feel comfortable with running these for at least this track day

yak

I can personally recommend Pirelli's and a club member has just picked up the distribution for Alberta. They have some great track day tires.

Enjoy.