upcoming 2012 changes

YZF1000jon

Incentives for volunteers is a program already in effect. Our volunteers get "paid" with Track Attack Vouchers. A suggestion was made that when not racing, every prticipant in the weekend would have to be cycled through a volunteer position. It works for some race events like RallyCross, but logistically would be very difficult for us. Volunteers also recieve a complimentary lunch as well as get entry to the track at no charge.

Jon's recommendation doesn't say that every novice will have to miss races while working a corner, it suggests that they would be responsible for covering a position, whether they bring someone out to do that, or choose to do it themselves would be their choice. It was a suggestion to start a discussion on how to fix a problem. More ideas are always welcome.

Lehbs

Incentives for volunteers is a program already in effect. Our volunteers get "paid" with Track Attack Vouchers. A suggestion was made that when not racing, every prticipant in the weekend would have to be cycled through a volunteer position. It works for some race events like RallyCross, but logistically would be very difficult for us. Volunteers also recieve a complimentary lunch as well as get entry to the track at no charge.

Jon's recommendation doesn't say that every novice will have to miss races while working a corner, it suggests that they would be responsible for covering a position, whether they bring someone out to do that, or choose to do it themselves would be their choice. It was a suggestion to start a discussion on how to fix a problem. More ideas are always welcome.

I agree that cylcling through positions throughout the day does not work at the facility. Imagine the time to get people out to turn 2 between each race and clear the track is not a delay that is feasible. And believe me I am not trying to be confrontational about this in any means, but for those of us traveling up, to bring a volunteer with me is not going to be an option that I can solve easily. Are the track attack vouchers transferable? I wasn't aware of this coming from the CMRA where the volunteer perks were limited to lunch and a barbeque on the Saturday evening. There is no doubt a few people who really have no intention of ever riding on the track, but if they are brought, it gets the racer associated with them a break. I know jon wasn't saying that every novice would be missing a race, but the rule about mandatory volunteering was targeted at one specific group (novices wanting to move to intermediate) to keep the weekends going, and I was merely playing devil's advocate in that if we want to ensure that we have enough corner workers etc, that the entire membership base had the potential to be volunteered for working. I mean, what if one weekend there are no novices that are running fast enough (a rule I completely agree with), and have their experience that they want to be moved up. No garanteed volunteers so that doesn't really solve the problem. I don't know what the solution is, but I don't think I am the only one who would oppose this.

As for a mandatory time for Novices to move up, I think it should be dependant on what classes you are running. I know at Stratotech the differences aren't as big as they were in calgary, but I was about to be moved up to amateur on my sv, but stayed in novice when I got on a 600 as my times were not where I thought it was safe for the experts and top amateurs (combined grids in cmra). I think the times for the inlines vs the motards should be set so that to move up you are relatively at the back of the pack. If on the 600 supersport a time under 1:08 puts you with the back, then great. If that time on the motards is 1:11, different benchmark, different goal.

Spooner

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the 1st year that Volunteers have been at a premium? I'm more in the boat, to wait and see how this next year turns out. Make a back up plan maybe, but to force this garbage that you have to bring a volunteer or do it yourself, seems a bit premature. (IMO) :confused:

My only other suggestion, depending on the books and cost, is do gift cards or just straight up cash instead of track vouchers. After all, cash is KING! Them you paying people to be there. $$$ Normally = reliability. That and you could also do a raising bar of payment. $20 a day, $50 for a weekend and then step it up from there. Maybe in five dollar increments for every full race weekend attended... That must be cheaper on the club than track vouchers?

Also, the women’s race is a bit weak, for a main event. That and the two most entertaining riders my not even be there this year. What about doing a "Women’s" plate? Similar to the blue plate format but just do it for the fastest Chick out there. It could be the pink plate! :D

~S

Racin Jason

For sure, but what about us young guys who still want to race with the pros? Let SB1 (fast25) be that race.

That’s part of learning and racing. Sometimes you have to take your lumps, before you get to speed.

FAST 25 allowed young and old Int. Exp. riders to mix. Like I said putting the two skill levels together is MAX danger. What is the point of having skill classifications if we are going to mix them all together? Having black numbers comes with very few perks, but one of them is that I don't have to share the track with sketchy riders.
All though I agree that sometimes taking your lumps IS part of the learning curv, why should that learning potentially come at an experts expense?
I will fight mixing INT. with EXPERTS. Its a bad idea and I doubt the club will even entertain the idea seriously.

sand.man

This idea just popped into my head, but finding volunteers seems to be a hot issue so I'll bring it up for consideration.

There are lots of programs in Edmonton that involve youths needing something productive to do in their spare time. Could we partner with a group like Edmonton Youth at Risk, Inner City Youth Development Association, or even encourage Big Brothers Big Sisters volunteers to come get involved in our club and teach their young adults about commitment and whatever values they could learn from the good people in our club while putting in some volunteer time helping us out?

Just thinking outside the box.

^people are going to have to start locking their trailers...

Well, I'm only half serious about that. The idea is still a really good one. It could give some young'uns something to get really excited about.

If you want to actually pay people you could go to the Bissel labour centre thing and offer people cash for a days work. My uncle hires people through there for cheap labour. Many of them are actually quite hard workers.

This idea just popped into my head, but finding volunteers seems to be a hot issue so I'll bring it up for consideration.

There are lots of programs in Edmonton that involve youths needing something productive to do in their spare time. Could we partner with a group like Edmonton Youth at Risk, Inner City Youth Development Association, or even encourage Big Brothers Big Sisters volunteers to come get involved in our club and teach their young adults about commitment and whatever values they could learn from the good people in our club while putting in some volunteer time helping us out?

Just thinking outside the box.

Even schools with automotive programs might work, to add to that idea. The last I remember in Mission, if there were not enough corner workers, no one was aloud on the track period!

Ducbert

That is ridiculous. I bet over half the grid would have to remove high dollar parts to fit into that. That and its going backwards to the system that is already in place.
~S

This could be applied to sportsman/vintage classes plus heaven forbid there would be a class where deep pockets and $$ didn't give you the advantage but whatever, it was just an idea.

As for mixing skill levels; Hell if we're going to mix skill levels, let's throw novices into the mix and make it a big ole shite show for SBK1!

As for volunteers, maybe it's time to ask previous volunteers what they would prefer?

/snarf

See you all in the spring! Stay warm........

Last edited:

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
I think mixing int and experts is a bad idea. Besides other reasons mentioned, is everyone forgetting that we just promoted 14 of our best intermediates to expert anyways?

ronin26

I think Ryan's idea for volunteers is a great one. It brings new people to the club and hopefully gets them excited about a new hobby and its great for the club/community.

Good work...now make it happen Ryan lol!

YZF1000jon

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the 1st year that Volunteers have been at a premium?

There has been an issue with volunteer numbers for years, this year was particularly bad. People who volunteer don't do it for the money, we've offered them several different GC's as well as the Track Vouchers (that they can sell for cash and don't cost us as much as you think). paying them outright would increase the cost of racing. If that's what we want to do we certainly can, that would need to be a vote item for sure.

There has been an issue with volunteer numbers for years, this year was particularly bad. People who volunteer don't do it for the money.

Not sure what the solution is here but I will say this much. There really isn't anything more that the club could offer volunteers as what's given already is very substantial.

Even if we didn't get the vouchers I'd still have come out. The experience itself is the draw. The more you get away from advertising it to that effect, the more you will start to see less enthusiastic people volunteering....especially if they are only there because they are paid to be there. And you will never be able to pay people enough to have a reliable team.

The way it works best is when you get the SAME team showing up reliably because that way you minimize delays because everyone has learned to work together very well and things just roll along smoothly with everyone doing everything properly.

Now, the thing about the track vouchers is that it is pretty likely that the people who actually use most of them will eventually get into racing and start paying the club back in the form of racing fees. So it's actually almost as much of a self-investment as it is an incentive. And that is also another angle to consider. Drawing in volunteers is the first step sometimes in drawing in new racers. So maybe another angle to pitch it as is as the first step to racing. Maybe rather than make it a requirement of novice to intermediate upgrades make it something that gives you (if you show up to 80% of the rounds) a free race school and the EMRA executives will sit around with you (and ALL the volunteers that showed up to 80% of the rounds) at a table for like a couple hours at the end of one full year of volunteering and give some kind of special seminar on everything in the world to do with racing in a sort of informal session. So advertize that as a sort of "Road to Racing" angle.

^this would bring in the volunteers from the riders that REALLY want to race but are hesitant for whatever reason. There's your core volunteer team right there. I know that's where I was at the start of this year. I was worried about crashing, being slow, being "that asshole" on the track haha, etc etc. so I felt I wasn't ready to race yet. Then after really seeing all the ins and outs over a year of volunteering I saw just what I had to do to make myself ready.

Also, as I mentioned before, the experience of volunteering is the biggest draw. Anyone that has done it knows this. If you enjoy motorsports or sportbikes, the energy and atmosphere is amazing. Watching it from the stands is just not the same. To really enjoy it, you have to be in the mix and involved. If racing is an art-form, then helping to facilitate its enactment is something also quite special. The more you can get that message across, the more people will be drawn to volunteer. The fun, the vouchers, the slabs of ham, and more ham, and more ham (can we have less ham next year please haha) are just gravy.....mmmmm....gravy.....aarrghgrhghghh.....

Anyway, I dunno where I'm going with this. Just saying that what got me to volunteer was the word of mouth about how awesome it was. I only found out about the vouchers later. Vouchers, money, etc etc won't draw in people and if it does it won't draw in the right people.

You want to build a team of volunteers.....you don't want to pick up stragglers to fill in slots now and again. That's going to turn into an unpredictable headache.

Anyway, assuming I pass and get my license I'll be in novice next year. Except for the time actually spent on the track I'll be there to do what I can.

Over the winter I'll be trying to find some people to help and that's the only way it will really be cheap and easy to find people.....EVERYONE has to start spamming their friends and family explaining all the reasons it is so great. Posters and E-newsletters help too as long as they reinforce that message of the experience being the biggest draw. Hit the same people from multiple angles and get in their heads about it.

/ramble

Last edited:

Ducbert

Passion sells.......

So, I would not mind working corners inbetween my races to help other racers keep going, as long as I could, but how could we work that, would it be viable? Might get more people involved if they saw racers were willing to do the work themselves to keep this thing going.....

I also have a gun with lots of ammo and ample space for those who do not conform or return!! Shoot, shovel and shaddup is how we live out here in da booonies!

I also think we should form a colony for the sake of our club and breed our own volunteers that be might the only safe way to ensure our clubs' future!!!

Podium finishers granted stud rights?!?!?

Last edited:

ian

...just a few comments about what I've read so far in this post.

First, thanks to everyone that has posted something up, it's great to see people trying to make the club better.

For those people desiring a second Superbike race, as others have already said, it does exist now - the Fast 25 race. We didn't have a full grid for that race in any of the rounds this year so there is obviously room for more entries...

Sportsman, I'm don't know why we'd want to change it to five years old, a 2006 bike is more than capable of winning any class that we have. I think Sportsman is a great class for someone wanting to racing inexpensively and have fun without the "win or bin" of the main sportbike classes. Ten year old race bikes are pretty cheap to buy.

Volunteers, this year we struggled to get corner workers and if it weren't for the Garrisons and Paul in turn 8 we would have been screwed, there were several events where we had just one person in each corner, ideally I think we'd like to have at least three, so that's only nine people total (turn 2,4, and 8). We have been increasing the number of track vouchers, GC's over the past two years to try and get more people out but it obviously isn't working. We do not want to pay them cash because that would make them employees of the EMRA which would complicate things considerably, so we want to avoid that if at all possible. I don't have the solution for this but welcome all of your ideas, which we will review at our AGM and hopefully come up with a plan that works.

Finally, I'd just like to add that nothing will be decided on this forum, so don't get too excited if someone says something that you don't agree with, they're just ideas. However, we will review any rule changes suggested and if the reasoning is sound we will vote on them. If you want to make sure your opinion is heard, come to the AGM.

Ian

I also think we should form a colony for the sake of our club and breed our own volunteers that might the only safe way to ensure our clubs' future!!!

I think we could really integrate this with the new initiative for paddock girls and cheerleaders.....

Planepower

Finally, I'd just like to add that nothing will be decided on this forum, so don't get too excited if someone says something that you don't agree with, they're just ideas. However, we will review any rule changes suggested and if the reasoning is sound we will vote on them. If you want to make sure your opinion is heard, come to the AGM.

Ian

Thanks Ian - that was my thought upon creation of this thread; to invoke the passion we have and bring ideas out without drawing too much time during the AGM.

Jason Henton

I dont like the idea of forcing people to volunteer in order to graduate from novice, Its contradictory in nature, and not possible for everyone to do. You would need to have a way around it for those who cannot volunteer their time. It may be beneficial to look at re-arranging the schedule to allow for more free time for racers to volunteer. Having a class run their sessions in the AM would free up their time to volunteer for the PM.

I dont know alot about the classes of racing, but It would seem that the structure should be broken down by Skill (Slow\Fast), Machine (Small, Medium, Large (HP\CC's) and of course Budget. Age, Gender, ect. Are pointless as there are slow old guys, fast young women, ect. Nothing wrong with acknowledging those class's, I just dont see any point in seperating them as far as track time. The colored plate idea is good, pink for women, grey for senior, ect. Allowing them to run in there respective class's and then tallying points within plate groups would acknowlege skill above all else.

Miss T

Just my thought... But I think opening the sportsman class to 5 years defeats the purpose. If you want to open it up more, consider maybe 8 years instead. The added 2 years will open significantly more bikes without losing the purpose of the race class. And a side note: That class does have issues running in a mixed grid, as the riding styles and lines are much different, but we are at the same laptimes, thus affecting the placings in eachothers class often.

Another... The women's open can be run with another open class, rather than a restricted class. Maybe senior open, another open class.

I'd like to see senior open become a 40+ class, similar to other clubs, a senior race.

Just some thoughts.