Western Canadian Championship

majikx

Hey guys, this is a bit early but i thought i would bring this up and just try to get a feel for thoughts on it... There has been talks and the possibility of getting the WCC back up and running.

The initial thoughts would be to do a four race series, with 4 tracks.. 2 races would have to be mixed in a weekend with the WMRC and EMRA (the exec haven't had a chance to even see if this is yet an option) however there would be no point to get things going if there wasn't sufficient support.

To make things fair, the chances that the CSBK is returning to western canada next year is very slim, and maybe even the year after, and even if they do, to do one race near home then base the rest of your summer 36hrs away is a tough pill.

There are a few top Pro riders that have been discussing the possibility of making a WCC series a reality. It would possibly start slow but the thought is to grow it to a stage to challenge any National series. Payouts, prizes, contingency, media (possibly online TV style coverage), and possibly getting more of the manufactures involved.

Now the thoughts are to run same classes as the CSBK, Pro Superbike, Pro 600, Amateur Superbike, Amateur 600, and possibly a 300 series (not limited to any brand of bike, just smaller bikes).

The thoughts would be to do an early race nearer the ocean, maybe april, then a round with the WMRC, one with EMRA and then a late season possibly Sept, or Oct for the final kinda in the middle.

Now like I said, this is ALL talk right now. Period. Between a couple guys, however if we get an idea of amount of riders that would be interested in a series like this we can make a better idea whether to pursue or to not. This would require travel for everyone, however it is all at least under 15hrs max, and all out west. Our goal is to make a "next level" for riders to make the jump, get some interest in more racers from other clubs maybe even some US riders.

Now there is a ton of logistics that both clubs would have to look at, and I am not saying that anyone has talked, but like i said, if there was some interest then i think it would show whether this is even viable or not.

A full National series would be nice, however to race the CSBK, 100% now and even in future 90% will be out east, and i think with the tracks we have and ones that are coming out west there could be an equally competitive series out here.

Id like people to please be respectful, this isn't for people to say how to do this or this club should do this or that, it is simply for judging interest at this point. I do not want to offend any of either clubs exec, or volunteers or sponsors.

Mike Zottmann

DEFBOY35

I like the idea of reviving this and it becoming something much bigger. But it will require a lot of hard work. We tried real hard to get interest in the last year of the wcc and there wasminimal participation on one side and zero participation from the other side. We would have to have solid effort from both sides for this to even be a thought. Once we have another Alberta track and can do a two and two series. If even possible to utilize the tracks we are talking about.
Definitely interested in what ideas there are to make this come to fruition though.

yak

This is the place to start.

As Shane noted the WCC died due to lack of member participation more so than lack of administrative commitment.

AIracing

I like the idea of the WCC starting again, but it is too much at once. when there is another track in Alberta then I think we should have Alberta series and if that is doing well then add the nearest BC track and so on to make it grow and have enough people that are committed to it.

it's not the travel time to 1 track that makes it difficult it's the commitment to multiple tracks on multiple weekends with varying travel times

DEFBOY35

I like the idea of the WCC starting again, but it is too much at once. when there is another track in Alberta then I think we should have Alberta series and if that is doing well then add the nearest BC track and so on to make it grow and have enough people that are committed to it.

it's not the travel time to 1 track that makes it difficult it's the commitment to multiple tracks on multiple weekends with varying travel times

You would think that. But it was extremely difficult to get commitment for riders to go to one visiting track for one weekend. Let alone multiple rounds at multiple tracks.

We tried to overcome some obstacles by working on ride sharing to split costs. Hotels etc. but it was not enough at the time. Hopefully once new tracks are in play that the desire to check them out will be enough for the first couple years to start to build something good again!!

rbod88

As someone that came into racing after the WCC days I have always heard stories about it and thought it was awesome to have a 2 + track series out west. I for one would be very interested. Let me know if there is anyway I can help out.

mjohan

I would be interested. Would be nice if csbk could split east and west then meet in a location for riders qualified with x amount of points for the 2 divisions to race for the championship. Reviving WCC could benefit shops /dealers and riders looking to compete. Im not trying to offend anyone, I just want to race.

Last edited: