What's a race pace lap time at Castrol?

G.NYUS

Hey guys, just wondering what the guys in the race group are throwing up for lap times. For instance what would the first place and last place lap time be??

Only asking because I'm thinking about racing next year, but I need to make sure I get my lap times down to race pace. I don't want to be a pylon out there. Need a goal to shoot for.

I'm sitting about 1:37ish right now I think. I only got that from the attached video,and just checking the timestamp based on crossing a landmark in the vid. Just wanna know if I'm 15 seconds off a good pace or not. I've only done the two trackdays this year (first one it was snowing lol), but I felt like I was hauling ass yesterday!! Haha So fun. Hope to get a few more under my belt this year for sure.

I found I was hanging out in 3rd quite a bit too, and if I dropped to 2nd around some corners I could get quite a bit better drive out, but on the flipside, when I was hard on the front brake, I found blipping the throttle (to get to 2nd) a weak point for me and I would need to smooth that out. Ass end got pretty squirrely on me a couple times and hit false neutral once too. Sphincter puckering situation to say the least. :eek:

Thanks for any help.

Glen

BTW - I'm on an '07 GSX-R 750 (#7) with Pirelli Red Stripes (4 trackdays total on 'em).

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDWF8eKg5Mw[/YT]

Last edited:

sand.man

Your video is set to private, this is from today:

This would be your fast experts and intermediates though, there are another 15-20 exp / int / novices beyond this

lKPVhml.jpg

Last edited:

DEFBOY35

there are actually another 30 riders deep past that list. dont forget, you can always stay in novice as long as you like to build up comfortably, while still getting race experience.
there is also a really fun class once you shave a couple seconds off, that is all about consistency, formula 1:33 so if you are getting close to that mark it would be a fun race to do. i did the formula 1:05 at stratotech a few times last year and it was a lot of fun.

G.NYUS

Thanks Shane. I needed to be reminded of that. For some reason I was in the mindset that there was only 'Race" or "Don't Race", I wasn't thinking about a novice class. That would definitely be the way for me to go. Brain fart there for sure. I was thinking "Hmmm, how am I gonna shave 15 seconds off.." Haha. I dunno how accurate the iphone apps are (I was using Diablo Super Biker), but by the end of the day it showed my best lap as a 1:31, (the vid was my second session of the night) but that's going by the GPS on the phone, so who knows how close that is.

Either way, novice is definitely the ticket for me, and see where that goes from there.

Thanks for the help!! Hopefully see ya out there at the next trackday.

Glen.

P.S. - "Hauling ass" is definitely a state of mind. As long as I feel like I'm hauling ass, I'm gonna be having a good time!

Last edited: