Young Rider - Beginner Bike

Koltonb02

Hey guys,

Was looking at getting my little brother into the track with me. He's ridden dirtbikes and motorcycles for awhile and has recently become interested in sport bikes. He's only 16 years old, but we were wondering what a good beginner bike for him would be, something suitable to race if he eventually chooses too! I know there are already millions of forums with this question, but figured it might be a bit better to get a personalized response based on where we would be riding!!

Thanks in advance!

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
I'll have a 600RR race ready pretty soon haha Makes a great race bike, has the sportsman lap record right now.

electrobiker86

My experience was finding a bike that fits was the hard part. Being taller and having assorted body part issues from assorted prior injuries is a hindrance though.
Besides finding a good fit, In my opinion he should
- seek a linear power band bike, peaky power bands can lead to no longer being upright.
- ignore numbers, smaller CC / HP bikes kick ass at Castrol all the time. I dropped 5 seconds instantly going to a smaller better handling bike.
- seek bikes set up for track; suspension and / or brakes and / or protection wise if possible. Better for a starter than a "tuned bike" with stock suspension and no sliders. If money is no object go for the full monty for sure, but if converting from street on a budget: I would upgrade in order of; sliders - spools overall slide protection, suspension, brakes, tires, then go faster engine mods, in my opinion.

Start for you anyway, I am getting started in the racing thing myself so hopefully the seasoned folks can chime in too. Some may disagree or throw their own 2 cents in, but it is kind of like asking what is better; Ford or Chevy, Yamaha or Suzuki, Rossi or Marquez, endless unwinnable debate starts...

2quickrides

EMRA Executive Member
Some may disagree or throw their own 2 cents in, but it is kind of like asking what is better; Ford or Chevy, Yamaha or Suzuki, Rossi or Marquez, endless unwinnable debate starts...

That’s a totally winnable debate. Chevy, Honda, Marquez. Lol

But the rest was good advice. No matter what specs say, you will always progress faster on a bike you are comfortable with vs what everyone tells you to ride.

How big is he and what is your budget?

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
Shane's got a good idea, the lightweight bikes are a super fun class and growing. Its all about technique and making a mistake can cost you a couple positions over the next few corners... whereas having a good line can gain you a couple positions over the next few corners. Plus, less crashy crashy for the most part.

Ford/Honda/Marquez.

Adam12

My son started on a ninja 300 when he was 13 and 5’7” and about 100 pounds. Great bike and he enjoyes it when riding.

Blighty

Lightweight all the way- learn to go fast on a bike with low power, less risk of high siding, lower cost on tires. Spend money saved on training. Go and ride minis too - great for race craft

Last edited:

ConnorPowell

Hi! I just started to get involved motorcycles, too, but I'm older, aha. I also took the guys' answers to the note, thank you. Can there be any more tips? By the way, I have a handy thing https://paperleaf.ca/do-my-essay/, it's just a golden find. It will help to write an excellent essay. Maybe it will be useful for your children.

Last edited:

electrobiker86

Hi! I just started to get involved motorcycles, too, but I'm older, aha. I also took the answers of the guys to the zamtke, thank you. Can there be any more tips?
A great way to meet other riders and get endless riding / bike tips is to volunteer for the club on race weekends, you get to watch up close and have the appreciation of the racers. As a bonus you also get to ride track nights for free!