EMRA at the North West 200

DMesher

A shot from the Northwest 200 road race in Northern Ireland (May 10-17). The EMRA was on the Superbike starting grid with the Tyco Team and William Dunlop and Guy Martin can be seen in the photograph.

Northern Ireland is a part of the world where the culture revolves around road racing (much like hockey in Canada), everyone is knowledgeable and the paddock area, and racers are accessible to everyone during race 'festivals' as they are called. The NW200 has average lap speeds of 120+ MPH and max speeds of 210+ MPH (335+ KPH) over the 9 mile course (4:20 lap times).

Ireland has 12-14 road race festivals per year. The NW200 racers were preparing to head to the Isle of Mann TT (May 24-June 6th).

For those that are interested, here are some links;

Ride the circuit with Dean Harrison (unbelievable, make it full screen and watch the marshals and flags go by at race pace)

http://www.gaskrank.tv/tv/racing/norrth-west-200-onboard-lap-mit-dean-harrison-bbc.htm

Watch Michael Dunlop go 300+ KPH

http://www.gaskrank.tv/tv/racing/helishot-north-west-200-nw200-m-dunlop-ueber-300kmh-baeaemm.htm

and some highlights....

http://www.gaskrank.tv/tv/racing/north-west-200-nw200-2014-highlights-brennraum-terror-geil.htm

Now you know why the MotoGP guys think these guys are crazy....

Enjoy

Darel

Attachments

• IMG_1426.jpg
    IMG_1426.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 56

Carver

Yes, the guy with the crutches is Darel. Getting some tips to bring back to Canada and show us how it is done. LOL

Last edited:

fast316

EMRA Executive Member
Nice! Must have been an awesome trip. Nice seeing you at the track on the weekend, heal up fast!

DMesher

Nice! Must have been an awesome trip. Nice seeing you at the track on the weekend, heal up fast!

I have traveled a great deal, and the trip to Ireland to watch the NW200 is near the top. The relaxed atmosphere, the people, the location and the broad spectrum of racers ranging from from privateers to million dollar teams makes it extra special. I would recommend it highly. Because of the NW200, the Ulster Grand Prix is now on my list, along with the Isle of Man.

BTW, I have also attached a few photos of the EMRA at Assen.

Thanks for the well wishes, I can't wait to be able to get back on the bike and get out on Castrol.

Attachments

• IMG_1015.jpg
    IMG_1015.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 24

Blaknwite

Did the TT 2 years ago, hope to do NW200 in 15.
How difficult was accommodation? It's the biggest challenge to the TT.

DMesher

Did the TT 2 years ago, hope to do NW200 in 15.
How difficult was accommodation? It's the biggest challenge to the TT.

We were fortunate to be hosted by Craig Gibson (photo below), a long time Northern Ireland road racer. Besides knowing everyone in the grid, and getting us 'All Access Passes' for the week, he also arranged a house for us which was located in Port Rush, walking distance to the Start/Finish Line and the paddock areas (more difficult on crutches :)).

The NW200 is well situated and many hotels are within easy driving distance of the three towns which define the triangle course. The local constabulary (and local residents) are very tolerant of randomly parked vehicles around the closed course on race days.

I would suggest that if you were thinking of attending, joining the Coleraine and District Motor Club (CDMC) or the Northwest 200 Supporters club (both on the NW200 website) in the year you were going to attend would give you an inside connection for the race week and assist in making arrangements. Oh, and let them know you are a Canadian club racer, it gets you instant approval.

Attachments

• IMG_1439.jpg
    IMG_1439.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Blaknwite

Thanks Darel
We did 2 days at the Creg (1 is plenty), Ballaugh Bridge (great pub), Bradden Bridge (great spot but light on "refreshments") and the highlight was the sponsors tent at the S/F where you meet all the racers. Want to go back to hit some of the high speed spots like the bottom of Bray Hill or Sulby Straight. Don't camp if you can help it but I assume with your Norn Iron connections you will likely find a great spot to stay on the IOM