Endurance and Mechanics Races

WRrider

Happy new Year!

Has anyone given any thought to either of these races for the end of the 2015 season?

Cheers!

M87

We have had endurance races in the past but they have been money losing events most years so they were dropped from the schedule.

Dave86

The 2015 schedule has already been set, so this is something that would have to be brought up at the next AGM. There would have to be a significant amount of interest to bring it back, as entries have historically been low which resulted in running a loss as Mike said.
Don't get me wrong, endurance races can be fun but with the increased costs of track rental at Castrol vs Stratotech I don't see it being easy to make it financially feasible, entry costs would have to be so high that I don't think we'd have many teams entering.

yak

Endurance racing seems to appeal to a different group. (Whose bike are we going to use? etc)

If you set aside the cost to the club a HUGE turnout would be 8 teams. As I recall getting above 5 teams has been very challenging.

On a related note the Numb Bum runs in February which takes endurance racing to a high level and is a ton of fun for road racers too.

yak

One more thing

As some background we have tried the following tweaks on the endurance race format to improve participation.

1. "Higher" entry fees with "big" cash prizes.
2. Cheap, cheap, cheap team entry fees with no prizes.
3. A staggered start based on team speed to even the odds of any team winning.

The participation rate through all 3 versions stayed about the same.

Some people have suggested everyone rides their own bike races, but there has been a strong push back that this is not an endurance race as it takes away from the issues of tire management, refueling, and sharing a single bike setup.

I personally have enjoyed participating in the endurance races but I can't see them running successfully at this time.

WRrider

endurance/mechanics race

Thanks for all the feedback. Just in case there was any confusion, I was only inquiring about doing 1 endurance race at the end of the season. (No one has chimed in yet about a mechanics race yet.)
Anyway, I'll leave it to the exec. It might be worth doing a poll at some point to see who'se interested.

Cheers!
Rob

sand.man

I believe all who replied were also speaking about one race at the end of the season, as that is how we used to run it, so even in that format it was always held at a loss which is unfortunate because It's a ton of fun.