Ideal enclosed trailer size.

Goatse

Last season I kept thinking that an enclosed trailer sure would be nice. Especially when it rained. So I decided this year I'd go for one.

I'll have 2 bikes to haul around, and maybe a 3rd (friend's bike) on track days. I'd like to be able to keep tires, gear, tools, etc in it, but of course I don't want some monster, that takes up too much space when I'm not using it, and I also don't want to waste money on 'too' much trailer. I'm not really limited to weight as I'll be towing it with an '11 F150.

So for any of you guys that are running enclosed trailers, what size would you think would be ideal for my situation?

I was leaning towards a 6' x 10' but lately am leaning towards a 6' x 12'.

Goatse

Get rid of that F150 first.........lol

I actually quite like the truck. The new 5 liter is surprisingly peppy for a small V8. It blows away the old 5.4's and it gets better fuel mileage than my 4 liter Explorer got.

Anyway, it's no Dodge, but it's free. :D

look for an ATLAS 7x10 v-nose enclosed trailer

I'll check them out. You think the extra foot in width is more valuable than 2' of extra length?

Goatse

I wasn't searching ebay. It was just one of the links that came up trying to Google the Atlas trailer listed above. I've just been looking local.

Tattoo

If you buy used please run the serial number through the police and registries. Both are different so you won't run into the issue I had last spring.

Fireman

If your going to carry 2 bikes for sure but a 3rd only a few times I suggest a 6x12. The narrower trailer makes it easier to pull and less on fuel. And you can just put a 3rd bike in your truck bed. Going larger just means every trip to the track costs more. Especially if you are traveling to tracks that are a great distance.

Just my 2 cents.

Goatse

Yeah, that's what I meant by too much trailer.

My truck has the 5.5' box, so I don't know how well that'd fit a bike. But.... If this friend does want me to take his bike, then he'll have to pick up one of those Pitbull restraint setups. Both of mine will be using it, and it'll make squeezing a few bikes in just that much easier.

Dean

Yup, corner to corner will fit a bike! You might want to get an "airgate" instead of the standard gate, just in case the tire sticks out a little.

Cinder

I actually quite like the truck. The new 5 liter is surprisingly peppy for a small V8. It blows away the old 5.4's and it gets better fuel mileage than my 4 liter Explorer got.

Anyway, it's no Dodge, but it's free. :D

I'll check them out. You think the extra foot in width is more valuable than 2' of extra length?

anything is good,Fireman is right.....i was just busting your balls with your truck.

yak

Yup, corner to corner will fit a bike! You might want to get an "airgate" instead of the standard gate, just in case the tire sticks out a little.

My "airgate" is no tailgate. A 600 RR will fit in corner to corner with minimal hassle in a short box Chevy.

Ryan5544

Can always let some air out of the rear, if you have a compressor to fill it back up, to close the gate. Probably not ideal, but when you have 2 bikes that need to go, and a tiny little Colorado, does the trick, and leaves you with a lot of room! :)

sand.man

I've got a canyon, short box crew cab... I can't load a full size bike without the gate down, the wheel wells go right up to the front of the box.

I'm going to buy a fullsize, anyone want to buy a loaded 2010 canyon z71 4x4 with tow package and 5.3L V8?