Ohlins Suspension Tools Needed!

macbayne

So the gub'ment decided to give me a sizeable tax refund and instead of investing in my future like a smart person, i decided to treat myself. i was wondering if anyone out there has the tools for installing a NIX 30 cartridge kit. i am pretty sure that i don't need any special tools for the TTX shock. I tried to look online for the specific tools i need, and i also tried to buy them from STG where i am getting the parts, but they do not sell them and he (jason) is pretty unsure about whether or not ohlins would sell me tools anyway.

barring anyone having the tools, anyone know anyone local who services ohlins for a fair price? i may have to break down and send my forks away, but i don't wanna miss anything at the track, especially the race school. i already am sending a mail to blair about ohlins servicing.

thanks track junkies!

macbayne

oh, another thing. anyone out there have the tools for suzuki forks too? i am doing a fork service on the street ride as well. i am also looking at borrowing a 41 mm fork seal driver.

Planepower

Once you get the fork kit and shock, the manuals will describe installation procedures. The shock will be a straight forward R&R, but you will need to support the frame (or suspend it). The forks disassemble with common metric tools, but the seals and bushings install will require finesse unless you want to replace what you damage. I havent done the cartridge replacement, rather i installed the valving (at which i strongly recommend someone qualified to do it).

macbayne

Once you get the fork kit and shock, the manuals will describe installation procedures. The shock will be a straight forward R&R, but you will need to support the frame (or suspend it). The forks disassemble with common metric tools, but the seals and bushings install will require finesse unless you want to replace what you damage. I havent done the cartridge replacement, rather i installed the valving (at which i strongly recommend someone qualified to do it).

all set for the swap of the kit, just couldn't find the manual for the cartridges to ensure i would have the tools. i hate starting a job and missing tools. for the 750, i am simply swapping seals and oil.

Planepower

all set for the swap of the kit, just couldn't find the manual for the cartridges to ensure i would have the tools. i hate starting a job and missing tools. for the 750, i am simply swapping seals and oil.

Then all you need is the appropriate Allen head socket (8mm long) and I used my 1/4" air impact to remove the lower bolt holding the cartridge in. Hand press in the new seal and gently slide the tube back in.

macbayne

Follow-Up.

so it took me a while, but i wanted to follow up this post with the tidbit that there IS a special tool for the NIX 30 cartridges that is not required for any OEM applications that i know of. it is part #01797-07. it looks like a gatling gun barrel.

big thanks to oldskool for lending the ohlins cap tool and the tools i needed for my showas.