Race License - getting started

CaptainOil

I'm hoping to get some insight on how to get started with racing competitively. I'm curious how licensing and race progression works. From what I understand it's necessary to acquire a race license from a race school and then I assume you start racing in a novice group and work your way up.

There seems to be little info on how to acquire your race license and get started. All I can find is that the race school fills up quickly on a first come first serve basis and there is no information on when and how to sign up.

If anyone can offer some insight and advice it would be appreciated.

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
Hey Captain,

It's actually super easy. Just keep an eye on this forum, really.
Usually around the bike show (January) we know the confirmed dates for every event we'll be running at Castrol next year, so we announce the date of the race school via this forum around that time.
Once we have the date posted (front page and 'news' threads), make sure you're available that weekend and sign up. It's extremely affordable for what you're getting out of it, and we do it that way to help make it easy for people to get started.
Once you're signed up for the race school you just need to show up and pay attention and ride smart and you should have a license by the end of the two day school. What follows is like you mentioned, start in novice and work your way up comfortably.
Bike prep will all be covered in the school but it's still a good idea to read our rule book and get a headstart, which you can find on this forum.

And yes it's a first come first served basis but we hold as many spots as we can without having a poor instructor-to-student ratio. If the school sells out before you get your name in, then you can always sign up for the On Track Performance race school which is held at a later date in the year. Usually after round 1 or 2 of the EMRA season.

Hopefully that helps!
Anymore questions?

Last edited: