Random Noob Qs

YAT

Trying to prepare a budget and whatnot so I can go racing next year. I've got a few questions:

• I've got GSXR750 so wondering if trying to trade it for a 600 is worth it so I can race more classes. How many classes are realistic to run in a race day with one bike? Is running more than two a bit much?

• I would be running DOTS so how many races could I typically expect from a set? What is a reasonable tire budget for a race season? (assuming goal is to get the most life out of them while still being safe not to go for fastest times)

• Is it common to run the same bike you ride on the street with and race prep/swap body work for race weekends or is that going to get really tiresome?

• If I'm running DOTS will I also need to buy a separate set of wheels for full wets or will I be able to make do without?

• Is 3000-5000 a realistic budget for race fees and tires and misc. items for a season of novice racing (excl. bike and gear)?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for any help!

yak

I'll take a stab at a few of your questions.

At the beginning as a Novice you run 2 races per day. After that the average number of races that people run is about 3. This is accessible on a 750 in the following way: Fast 25, Sportbike, and Superbike. There could be more depending on your age and the age of the bike.

Tires are tough to estimate the cost of especially at the beginning, since they wear as a function of your speed. At the start a good set of DOTs or other track day tires are the way to go and they would likely last multiple race days. After that good take-offs are an economical way to get a better tire at a lower cost.

Two sets of rims are awesome, but at the beginning you can run DOTs (at a much slower pace than full wets).

The fees I'm using are this year's values which are subject to change.

Race School $325
Licenses $100
Race Fees (1 weekend) $320
Transponder ~$200 per year if purchased
Track Entry (1 weekend) $20

Tires (add ~$400 for rains) $800 wide variation possible on this one.

If you move up to race tires, then you need warmers and a generator. I'd guess at $800 to $1200 depending on how you go in that regard. There are different opinions on what tires to run. I believe until your pace warrants it go with longer wearing tires, other people say you can never have too much traction.

Spares (don't crash!) ?

It would be helpful if someone that has recently gone through the process chips in as it has been a couple of days since I started racing.

Good luck

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
  • I've got GSXR750 so wondering if trying to trade it for a 600 is worth it so I can race more classes. How many classes are realistic to run in a race day with one bike? Is running more than two a bit much?
If you are under 35 years of age and your bike is <10 years old you can realistically race 3 classes a day. Open Sportbike, Superbike, and either Fast 25 or Formula 112.
If you bike is 10 years old you can race Sportsman as well.
If you're over 35 you can add Senior Open to that list.
But 3 races a day & morning practice session is enough to tire most people out.
Trading a 750 for a 600 just to get more races might not be the most practical unless maybe you're getting something more race ready (expendable).
But if you're under 35yo with a bike less than 10 years old then you may want to trade to get 600SS & 600SBK onto your list. Each additional race is only $30 and thats cheap track time. I run 5 races a day, and will run 6 next year. Its a beautiful kind of hell.

• I would be running DOTS so how many races could I typically expect from a set? What is a reasonable tire budget for a race season? (assuming goal is to get the most life out of them while still being safe not to go for fastest times)
I've seen a few new guys run their first full season (a few track days, all the race rounds including practice and multiple races) on 2 sets of DOTs. You can probably run a full season on two sets no problem but again this is very dependent on your pace. I wouldn't worry about buying rains or spare rims until you're fighting for points in a championship. Seriously.

• Is it common to run the same bike you ride on the street with and race prep/swap body work for race weekends or is that going to get really tiresome?
Extremely tiresome.... like... you won't want to do it twice.

• If I'm running DOTS will I also need to buy a separate set of wheels for full wets or will I be able to make do without?
Don't worry about racing in the rain until you're fighting for championship points, if it rains, take the credit on your account and help out the volunteers around the track and learn a bunch watching for the day. Come back when its sunny, you'll have more fun, save money and save crashing potential.

• Is 3000-5000 a realistic budget for race fees and tires and misc. items for a season of novice racing (excl. bike and gear)?
Yes. I would say this is a realistic, generous budget. You can do it very cheap, or you can do it very expensive.
Lets say:
$320 fees (as per Todd)
$60 fuel
$20 gate entry
x 7 rounds is $2800
now add Transponder purchase (200), race license/membership (100), race school (325), two sets of new DOTs (900 mounted/balanced).
So maybe $4325 in the red after a year of excitement.

Now you'll love racing so much you'll sell your street bodywork, cancel the insurance, dump the girlfriend, remortgage the house and before you know it you'll be in the black at the end of race season. :D

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for any help!

My words of wisdom

YAT

Thanks that's helpful. I didn't realize you could get a credit if it rains.

I guess my only problem now is I still want to be able to street ride so it looks like I'll have to at least consider getting a dedicated race bike since it looks like swapping one bike back and forth might not be feasible.

blam

Administrator

I guess my only problem now is I still want to be able to street ride so it looks like I'll have to at least consider getting a dedicated race bike since it looks like swapping one bike back and forth might not be feasible.

you wont want to street ride once you start racing :D ;)

quite honestly, if you talk to the racers in the pits, you will find most racers ended up selling or parking their street bikes.

personally, i went from ~3-5ooo kms(not much to begin with i know) a year to 3-500kms a year when i started track days

YAT

you wont want to street ride once you start racing :D ;)

quite honestly, if you talk to the racers in the pits, you will find most racers ended up selling or parking their street bikes.

personally, i went from ~3-5ooo kms(not much to begin with i know) a year to 3-500kms a year when i started track days

I'm not sure I'm ready to take such a drastic measure. Trying to go through entire workweeks without any riding sounds painful haha

yak

To clarify:

1. You do NOT get a credit if it rains.

2. You can cancel your registration before a day starts and receive a credit; that is at roughly 8 AM you have to decide if you are participating that day or not.

Regards,

P.S. I switched a bike back and forth from street to track back in the day. I switched out a lot of stuff. I did this for 1.5 seasons. If the gap between race rounds was shorter I skipped that switch out. This is entirely doable if you are committed.

Last edited:

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
Oops, yeah sorry I wasn't very clear. If you're registered and cancel the morning of (because it looks like a day full of rain and you Decide to bail) then if you go through the process with registration properly and in time, you can get a credit.

Also, I rode:
12,600kms year one
~9,000kms year two
Last year I rode 7kms on the street. The year before was about 400kms.

It WILL become all you need eventually haha that's all we're sayin :)

YAT

Ok thanks for clearing that up about the rain days.

Based on the responses I'm thinking I'll probably go for trying to pick up a cheap 600 over the winter and just use it as a dedicated track bike and decide if I want to keep the 750 for street riding or just sell it. I'm still a bit skeptical that I won't want to ride on the street anymore but we'll see haha

SetUpSixRR

EMRA Executive Member
Ok thanks for clearing that up about the rain days.

Based on the responses I'm thinking I'll probably go for trying to pick up a cheap 600 over the winter and just use it as a dedicated track bike and decide if I want to keep the 750 for street riding or just sell it. I'm still a bit skeptical that I won't want to ride on the street anymore but we'll see haha

It'll hook you faster if you're on track for every opportunity. So if that's the case, I give you 1 year. Tops. :D