Signed up for the school , now the questions start....

fonzy

Comming from a car road race back ground i m goin to have alot of questions:D, 1 st off i signed up for the school , and im obviously going to need a bike to bring , ( i have 3 that i can bring) years ago when i started to road race they said bring a car close to what you would be racing but not a full out road race car so that you didnt pick up any bad habbits,

my choices are ...

1996 Yamaha Yzf600, ugly old race bike from calgary that i got last year , really ugly no plastics as of yet , push start only with no charging system but if it goes down as long as im ok who cares type thing , and if i plan on doing any racing it might be on this thing

2006 Ducati 749

good running set up nicely complete stock road bike that i plan on riding to bc, good everything, but if it goes down , ill cry:(

1977 Kawasaki Kz650

this was a former race city /gimli road race bike that has alot of history with some friends of mine here, very well set up abd very quick for a old sled, i feel very good on this bike and would like to race it but i see no other vintage bikes on the grid, also if it goes down , it might be hard to replace some of the pieces plus modern tires are tough to find

id like to see some input , or maybe i sell the yzf and kz and buy a road race bike proper, kinda have a liking for a rs125 honda or tz 125:eek:

Arctic Donkey

Of the bikes you have I would go with the YZF600. Great motor, the bike is just a little on the heavy side compared to modern 600s. If you can fit on it, a 125 would be good, they are the real deal. The only down side to them is that there aren't many (any?) to race with/against in our club.

Arctic Donkey

Hmmm, I can't remember how many, if any we had out last season. There was 2 or 3 250s and maybe 1 or 2 125s??? I'm not sure, maybe someone else will chime in. Pick up a SV650 or a motard and you will have plenty of classes to race in.

other-Steve

triple

I'll be on a RS125 this year...but no Honda APRILIA baby!

If you're looking for a new bike, check out the bikes for sale, there's a sweet 675 in there...

YZF1000jon

There's even a special cheater bike class for it!! :D
Seriously, you could bring a couple in case something goes wrong, but the school isn't that hardcore. Besides, everyone knows, you crash you fail...

jetfixer15

I would go with the YZF-600. It wears 120 front, 160 rear tires, which are more common than the ones on the KZ. There are still race parts and bodywork available for the YZF.

yak

my choices are ...

1996 Yamaha Yzf600, push start only with no charging system

2006 Ducati 749

good running set up nicely complete stock road bike that i plan on riding to bc, good everything, but if it goes down , ill cry:(

1977 Kawasaki Kz650

id like to see some input , or maybe i sell the yzf and kz and buy a road race bike proper, kinda have a liking for a rs125 honda or tz 125:eek:

Steve

I definitely would not recommend the YZF for the race school due to the lack of starter and charging system. (It may be your best choice of the 3 for a race bike in '10, but not the school.) I'm also leery about picking a 33 year old bike for a race school because of the higher risk of a mechanical issue. If you are an "experienced" rider then the '06 Duc will allow you to focus on the riding instructions and lessons. I've seen riders crash during race schools, but typically they were riding over their head. The emphasis of the race school is learning the racing line (at reasonable speeds) and then adding some commonly required skills for racing. Note: we are also targeting riders that just want to improve their performance riding skills. The track is relatively wide and very grippy. If you trust yourself to ride to BC, isn't it reasonable to trust yourself to ride a few dozen kms around an optimal asphalt layout?

Feel free to drop me an email (which is available from the contacts tab of this website) to get my phone number if you'd like to ask some more questions. (I'm from Saskatoon originally.) Were you one of the 2 brave/optimistic souls that showed up for the last track day of '09 that was canceled?

Regards,

Todd
#42 B

Mastard

I'd agree with Todd too. If you had a starter and charging system, the YZF would be fine. With your previous race experience, you are not likely to ride over your abilities on the Duc. But then again, anything can happen...

I suggest buying a 2006 Honda CBR600RR, race ready and ready to win! But then again, I could be biased.

racer51

the REAL Honda

I'd agree with Todd too. If you had a starter and charging system, the YZF would be fine. With your previous race experience, you are not likely to ride over your abilities on the Duc. But then again, anything can happen...

I suggest buying a 2006 Honda CBR600RR, race ready and ready to win! But then again, I could be biased.

Andrew makes some interesting points. But if you only have 3 motorcycles you do need one more, and if you really want some fun...I'd suggest buying a 2000 RC51...hardly used or abused (compared to a 40 year old hooker), never down (very hard), low mileage (compared to a 1952 Buick), Race Ready (if you want to add about 40 more HP), beautifully painted (for a spray bomb job), light weight (compared to a D9 Cat). ;)

jetfixer15

I totaly missed the YZF not having a starter, which would make it a pain in the butt for use at the race school (unless you get a starter motor for it). Todd's points are pretty valid, and the Ducati would be your best bet, given that you are comfortable on it.

fonzy

Steve

I definitely would not recommend the YZF for the race school due to the lack of starter and charging system. (It may be your best choice of the 3 for a race bike in '10, but not the school.) I'm also leery about picking a 33 year old bike for a race school because of the higher risk of a mechanical issue. If you are an "experienced" rider then the '06 Duc will allow you to focus on the riding instructions and lessons. I've seen riders crash during race schools, but typically they were riding over their head. The emphasis of the race school is learning the racing line (at reasonable speeds) and then adding some commonly required skills for racing. Note: we are also targeting riders that just want to improve their performance riding skills. The track is relatively wide and very grippy. If you trust yourself to ride to BC, isn't it reasonable to trust yourself to ride a few dozen kms around an optimal asphalt layout?

Feel free to drop me an email (which is available from the contacts tab of this website) to get my phone number if you'd like to ask some more questions. (I'm from Saskatoon originally.) Were you one of the 2 brave/optimistic souls that showed up for the last track day of '09 that was canceled?

Regards,

Todd
#42 B

Todd , thanks for all the input , yes i was one of the brave souls that drove it that chilly day! brave or stupid i dont know, well so far the Duc is looking like the beast i guess! unless i can track down A STARTER?

fonzy

so i am showing up this weekend with the duc, any other bike prep i should be thinking about? i know the coolant and lights drill, what about tire pressure? i be running conti sport attacks like Emil is rather than a race tire, will there be a mock race at all? where is the classroom session held?