Sv650 front wheel issue.

Tattoo

So here's a question that probably has a very simple fix but I for the life of me can't figure out. So I took the front wheel of my latest sv, cause I was moving the fork tubes which had aleast a inch sticking up the top triple. So I moved them down. Now when I fit the axle through with the rim I have a half inch of axle sticking out. I can't tighten it up flush. So I checked that the forks tubes were the same height and they seem to be. Any suggestions? I remember having the same issue 10 years ago in Calgary but do not remember what the fix was lol.

sand.man

I don't think you need to remove the wheel to lower the forks, I could be wrong though.

Aside from that, no idea!

Arctic Donkey

Did you forget the speedo drive/spacer? Is this on a Gen1 or Gen2? Is the sleeve inside the rim interfering with the axle?

Tattoo

Did you forget the speedo drive/spacer? Is this on a Gen1 or Gen2? Is the sleeve inside the rim interfering with the axle?

Its a gen 1. It has the speedo spacer. I will check the sleeve. It's the first time I've had the wheel of this bike.

sv-racing-parts

Hi Frank, I would think that the likely culprit is a missing right side spacer,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

Tattoo

Looked in the Manual and everything looks right. Starting to wonder if the speedo eliminator spacer is the issue. Might try to see if I have a speedo kicking around my basement. Good thing I have 3 other sv's that are track ready lol. I compared it to my other first gen but I still have the speedo in just cut the line, and only have two front stands. It's not the end of the world if I don't get this one ready, but this ones sure causing my blood to boil.

Tattoo

Post a pic, maybe someone will see the problem. Or just throw a Gixxer front end on it :D

Oh I'm tempted to put a gixxer front end. Maybe forks bent picked this one up few months back but have pics of it when I got it and axel fit fine. So not sure what the heck I could of done to it by dropping the fork tubes down and adding rim tape. Yeah I will try to post a pics.

Tattoo

hope these help. This is the sv giving me grief.

Attachments

• IMAG0130.jpg
    IMAG0130.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMAG0131.jpg
    IMAG0131.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMAG0132.jpg
    IMAG0132.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMAG0133.jpg
    IMAG0133.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG0134.jpg
    IMAG0134.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 20

Tattoo

Here is my other sv that wheel fits.

Attachments

• IMAG0135.jpg
    IMAG0135.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG0136.jpg
    IMAG0136.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG0137.jpg
    IMAG0137.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 19

Arctic Donkey

In the second pic of post #13 is the axle sitting flush against the spacer on the fork with the pinch bolts? Any chance you have the wrong spacer on either the right or left side or have them mixed up? That spacer on the speedo side looks kinda long but it is hard to tell from the pic.

sv-racing-parts

:) Hi Frank, take one more photo of the left fork so we can see where the axle is in relation to the fork lower, your photo is cropped to tight in post 13 to see it clearly,

Thanks,
Blair

Tattoo

In the second pic of post #13 is the axle sitting flush against the spacer on the fork with the pinch bolts? Any chance you have the wrong spacer on either the right or left side or have them mixed up? That spacer on the speedo side looks kinda long but it is hard to tell from the pic.

The axle is sitting flush with the spacer in the fork tube. you can see how much of the axle is sticking out which is the issue. Oh any thing is possible that I mixed it up but pretty sure that's the right way.

Arctic Donkey

If I am understanding you correctly then the spacer is also sticking out so it seems to me that one of the two spacers is too long.

Tattoo

This a better view of left I hope.

Attachments

• IMAG0138.jpg
    IMAG0138.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG0139.jpg
    IMAG0139.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG0140.jpg
    IMAG0140.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMAG0141.jpg
    IMAG0141.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 13

Tattoo

If I am understanding you correctly then the spacer is also sticking out so it seems to me that one of the two spacers is too long.

You are correct Steve, the spacer is also sticking out also. I am 100 % positive that those were the spacers that came off the bike I zip tyed them together when I removed them. But its possible they were wrong to begin with, since this was the first time I removed that wheel, and never rode this one cause it was a few months ago when I picked it up.