Tire question

G.NYUS

Hey guys, got a quick question. I've got the Pirelli Superbike Pro red stripe's on my bike. Have two track days on them. I'm heading out to Castrol on the 10th with Hardnox and the temperature is supposed to be around 10 C. My question is, is there a minimum temp you should run a slick tire on? Will it heat up enough to be safe (I realize a lot of the "safe" is in my right hand tho)? The reason I'm asking is, there is a set of rims with rubber in Cowtown that I might go snatch up if I'm playing with fire on a slick. The track day is already paid for, so I don't wanna waste it. I was out at the last day at Stratotech, but ended up not going on the track with the red stripes because of the crappy weather, and it sucked to waste a day. I'll be getting a 2nd set of rims/rubber at some point, just wanted to some opinions if I should not run the red stripes on a cold(er) day or grab the kijiji one's before hand.

Thanks for any help!!

P.S. - here's the link. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-p...ims/587363818?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Last edited:

Spooner

You'll be fine running those at the low temperature of 10C. I forget if you said you where using warmers or not, but either way, you'll be fine.

Warmers would just make things much more better.

Though, don't pay full price for those rims. not unless the fronts come with rotors. a set of that year should be $500 tops with everything in. Actually, I think Dom had a full set of 08 rid and rotors for the same price. I think he goes by Ghost rider.

~S

G.NYUS

Perfect. Thanks Scott!
I'm not running warmers right now, they're on the list for this year tho.
I was hoping someone might chime in on that price too, I was curious if that was good/bad, thanks for the input and the contact.

You coming out on the 10th?

Glen

krea.tion

You will be fine on the Red Stripes. Just make sure you take it easy for the first lap or two of every session.

G.NYUS

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the input krea.tion. I'm sure I'll be tiptoeing around for the first couple sessions anyway. Pumped to get out tho.

Glen.

macbayne

600? lol. like scott said, a complete set of gsxr wheels should be $500 or less. i got both my spare sets for 350 and 400, respectively. that is with cush, discs, bearings, spacers etc. got one set with a set of red stripes on 'em too that i used for a few track days and my first race weekend.

G.NYUS

600? lol. like scott said, a complete set of gsxr wheels should be $500 or less. i got both my spare sets for 350 and 400, respectively. that is with cush, discs, bearings, spacers etc. got one set with a set of red stripes on 'em too that i used for a few track days and my first race weekend.

Nice. Good to know. Where's a good place to check? Keep an eye on the forum here and WERA? Maybe Re-Cycle in Stony Plain? I checked eBay today too, few sets on there too. Just leary of eBay sometimes. Clutch levers...OK, but rims could be a bit iffy. Scott mentioned a set on here as well, from Cinder I think. Best case would be to get a set with disc's, all ready to rip.

Thanks Bayne.

Last edited:

macbayne

there is Pat in PA. you can email him at [email protected]. Dave K recommended him to me last year and i got a lot of parts from him. i am sure kijiji is filled with gixxers in the middle of being parted out. remember that you can use wheels from 06-10 600 and 750. you have a lot of options. the only thing to remember is that front brake discs won't swap between the generations of 06/7 and 08/09/10. everything else wheel-wise will swap. if you do in fact find 06 wheels without discs that you are going for, i can help you out with some discs. price is one chocolate bar for each disc. i have spares hanging around and my track time will be extremely limited this year.

you could PM Dom (cinder, not ghost rider) and see what he wants for his wheels. i know there was a thread about them a short time ago and there was a bit of... well...

G.NYUS

Yeah, I actually read that thread. He may have just thrown those rims off the high level bridge after all that. Ha.

Thanks for the contact in PA and all the good info. I'll give Pat a shout keep my eyes open around here.

Appreciate all the help.

krea.tion

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the input krea.tion. I'm sure I'll be tiptoeing around for the first couple sessions anyway. Pumped to get out tho.

Glen.

I know all too well what happens when a set of cold Red Stripes meets an overconfident throttle hand ;)

G.NYUS

I know all too well what happens when a set of cold Red Stripes meets an overconfident throttle hand ;)

Ha yeah I bet. I ended up running a set of Brown Stripes after turn one at Stratotech last year a couple times. :)

While we're on the topic of traction...does anyone know if the race topcoat is on Castrol already? I remember hearing last year, it was kinda slippery when EMRA did that track day. Wasn't a huge deal, but just a little dicey I guess.

krea.tion

Ha yeah I bet. I ended up running a set of Brown Stripes after turn one at Stratotech last year a couple times. :)

While we're on the topic of traction...does anyone know if the race topcoat is on Castrol already? I remember hearing last year, it was kinda slippery when EMRA did that track day. Wasn't a huge deal, but just a little dicey I guess.

Hahaha oh thats a good one. On the topic of the race surface, I think I read that the top coat wont be applied until next year? Someone can confirm..

G.NYUS

Just got off the phone with Sheldon from Castrol. He said no topcoat as of yet. No exact date of when it's going on, just shooting for this year, depending on cost and rider/racer input. Course is full 2.7km long, no curbing yet, and hoping to get the walls moved back for the 10th, but that's a long shot.

DEFBOY35

traction did not seem to be all that bad at the track day last year, that was on a set of superbike slicks, but the tires looked almost baby smooth at the end of the day , after a hard couple days on them out at stratotech. so the tire wear seems to be minimal

G.NYUS

Ok cool. Thanks Shane.

....dammit, I was really fishing for something to blame my slow lap times on. Can't blame the tires, can't blame the track,..... ;)

Thanks to everyone for the input too. I appreciate it.

krea.tion

Heh well since they cant move the walls back this weekend they are going to set up some entry speed controls so it wont be a great day to get meaningful lap times I dont think.

G.NYUS

Heh well since they cant move the walls back this weekend they are going to set up some entry speed controls so it wont be a great day to get meaningful lap times I dont think.

I agree. That's ok with me tho, good day to slow down and learn a new track. I guess I say that now, it usually changes when you get out there, but I'll try to commit to finding apex's and exit points. Either way, just getting out is worth it by itself.