Feeler: CBR125 Class?

tawheed

Hey all,

Was nice to get out to the track for Round 1 to watch most of you go round.

I've been putting some thought into what would be a fun class to bring some new (and a few old) riders on (or back) to the track. During my time racing, the part I loved the most was the actual riding and competition, not so much the ridiculous costs (and tons of work) associated with a hobby. I know most people are okay with spending a lot of money for racing and that's fine, there are a lot of classes that promote modifications / setup.

I know the club attempted to run an Aprilia RS125 series with little to no interest. What, do you ask, would make a CBR125 series different? Cost. You can buy a used CBR125 for ~$1500-$2000 without a problem. Safety wiring and race prep is virtually free. Make it a class that allows for virtually no modifications and the results will make for cheap, exciting and relatively slow racing. To compare with an actual championship, for those who follow MotoGP and Moto2, what class tends to make for more exciting racing?

I do not believe speed is required to make racing fun. Racing, to me, is most exciting during close battles and competition. At the end of the day, you can run the fastest laps and win the race with a gap of 45 seconds, but where's the excitement in that?

I've run this idea past a few people I know and a lot of them have been excited by the prospect. Just thought I'd toss it out here and see what people think.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Cheers,

Tawheed

Dean

We tried that at Mission and it was a bust for the CBR125s. It was actually too slow for our front straight. I can still hear our announcer "and here they come out of turn 9...still in turn 9...and onto the straight. Look at them go! They are almost to the start finish tower now! All of them are in 6th gear, floating the valves, bouncing off the rev limiter. Wow, look at Dave, he's looking around like its a sunday ride enjoying the scenery! I bet they are going about 100km/h now folks as they wizz past us and start braking for turn 1".

Yep, it went something like that. A lap around mission flat out on those bikes was close to the 1:50s or something like that.

Now, for just a tiny amount more, you can move to the 250 street production race. Only 250s that are production 4 stroke street motorcycles can race it, so it cannot be run by the likes of Ian on his TZR250. People have choices of Honda, Kawasaki, Hyosung, etc. We allow some modifications to suspension and jetting, but no other modifications. We have about 8 to 10 bikes in our series now, with more growing for each round. It's just as cheap and the battles are epic! A fast 250 in Mission can run in the 1:24s, which would make them run in about the 1:07s at Stratotech. It makes for a race that is not that slow, and has great battles for any position.

seven

The AMRA should have 12 to 14 up there on July 22 come out and see them all run. Or better yet have one ready great class, Cheap bike, cheapest parts of any bike ever