Intro + Random Questions

d.b

Hi All,

Just thought I'd post up an introduction, as well as ask a few questions.

I started riding after 30, as I was pretty confident in my 20s that if I rode then I'd kill myself. :). I'd rode a lot of dirt bikes as a kid and growing up but never a street bike.

I was living in California when I took the MSF course and got a license. First bike was a Triumph Street Triple R, which I rode for about a year before clipping my brake lever on a mirror while lane splitting (_not_ illegal, in California) and went flying. I was banged up a bit, nothing broken thankfully and probably wearing all the gear (back protector, specifically, as I flipped right over and landed on my back) helped I'm sure.

I convinced myself to get back on a bike after a few months, test rode a lot of 600s, and ended up buying another STR. It was just such a comfy bike for me. I rode that for a long time, ended up moving back to Alberta and rode it all the way from California.

After a few years on the STR in Alberta, I wanted to ride a sport bike so I picked up a Hyosung 250R to practice on. Last year, I upgraded that to a 2015 BMW S1000RR (!). Also along the way I picked up a TW200 (FUN!), a Night Rod, and just recently found a killer price on a 1290 Super Duke R that I just couldn't pass up... so now, I park outside, and my garage is full of bikes. You could say I've caught the bug. I did sell the Triumph though, and the wife is 'encouraging' me to sell the Hyosung and TW200, and I'm considering selling off the night rod, so who knows, maybe next year I can park in the garage again.

I've done a few mountain trips, entertaining stuff. Last year I took the California Superbike School level 1 & 2 at The Ridge close by Seattle, and it was AWESOME. Track riding is just crazy fun. That's why I'm here, posting this now. This year I'd like to get in as many days as I can. But I'm a novice, obviously, so now on the the questions:

- I see the requirements for track riding, it's essentially replacing coolant with water (and wetter), and taping up lights/mirrors? Is that basically what people do, or do you really remove mirrors and signal lights, etc?

- I also see wiring up the kickstand is required. So this might be a dumb question but... how do you get off the bike then? Lean it up against a wall? :)

- It seems like I should do the race school, and as many as the track attacks as I can. Does that seem reasonable? Are these dates sort of correct? http://www.castrolraceway.com/blog-2016_ROAD_COURSE_SCHEDULE

I'm sure I'll have more questions but that's it for now. I'm very excited for this year, so nice to have a road course close by!

yak

Welcome to the EMRA.

It sounds like you have covered a lot of bases already. The dates that you linked to are correct for the EMRA Track Attack and club races.

The wiring up side stands is an obsolete requirement and will be removed from the notes. A few people remove some hardware from their bikes, but painters tape goes on and off quickly: so why make it complicated if you don't want to? There are often photographers out so I suspect that some people are going for aesthetics.

The race school registration is opening this weekend and if you want to chat with people in person the club will have a booth at the bike show. Another group to check out hosts track days at Castrol; there name is Hard Nox.

All the best.

Todd

blam

Administrator
welcome!!

I ran without a kickstand on my ducati street bike in 2015 at the track nights because it was scraping on the left handers. I thought it was going to be hard to get on and off, but it wasnt that bad (I'm also super short and it still wasnt that bad). you can use a paddock stand to keep your bike upright in the pits.

agreed with todd, I taped up my bike the night before, loaded it up on my trailer and then just hooked up and hauled out after work to the track.

when i was done, i just pulled the tape off and the bike was street ready again.

the emra race school is awesome. i took it last year as well. learned A LOT.

411ninja

Welcome!

Looking forward to seeing you at the track! As was mentioned earlier the kickstand being wired is not mandatory anymore. I never bothered to get stands while I was riding my street bike on track nights, just the kickstand. I also didn't take my mirrors off, just rode out and taped them up. At the end of the night you rip off the tape and ride home.
Changing out your coolant to water is mandatory as you mentioned. I'm betting you already have some good gear from your California story but just double check that you have everything required.
Take a look on the forum under volunteers, we offer a great deal on track nights for people who come out to volunteer for the racing. It makes your track nights a little more economical - and you are front and centre for some incredible racing!
Trish
EMRA secretary and volunteer coordinator

the_fornicator

d.b

Thanks for the info! I plan on going to the motorcycle show tonight, I'll be sure to check out the EMRA booth. I also already paid for race school, and have my forms ready to mail. Can't wait for summer...

The sidestand wiring was one of my concerns, I was planning on just riding out with some tape and covering at the event, but it would be more complicated if I needed to take a stand with me, etc. Without that, sounds pretty easy.

I have a set of full leathers, boots, gloves, helmet, I think that will be fine. I still have the original tires on my bike though, they aren't too bad but are getting a little flat from long road trips. Not really sure if they are worth replacing.

What about cameras? Any things to know to run a gopro or whatever? (Tape that too?).

On track attack days, are there any issues with swapping bikes?

DEFBOY35

Go pros are great! Make sure they are securely mounted and all though there is nothing official in rules. It is a good idea to have them tethered as well on another note it has become common in other places to not allow any mounts on helmets camera or nocamera. As the mount will actually point load the helmet on impact. Not allowing the helmet to function 100% to its capabilities.

Swapping bikes is not a big deal as long as they are both properly prepped for the track day. As well. We will be watching closely for the proof of payment which is supposed to be around the top triple clamp. In this case wear it as the wrist band if you know you will be on multiple bikes