Qualifying sessions "Superpole"

majikx

Hey guys, I know I have chatted with a few of the Exec. about doing a possible 10min session in the afternoon called Superpole shootout or something where the top 10-12 guys get 10min to do a superpole style shootout for qualifying. I myself and have heard from a few others are finding it hard to get more then 1 free and clear lap to do qualifying on sat, and there seems to be a rush to get out early to try and get that 1 good lap. There is also riders in the wrong groups who are not running fast enough lap times to be in the group they are in, and or riders trying new parts and are going much slower on track, thus perhaps messing up a riders flying lap.

I am thinking of safety on this one, as the closing speeds can sometimes be alarming, and I can see this getting to the point where someone gets hurt. I feel that if the club had a specific 10min session that took just the top 10 guys and gave them 10min to go and run as fast as they could to get the Pole position, i think you would eliminate this. I think that no matter if you do the session or not that your fastest time of the day counts towards your starting position.

Any thoughts on this? I have been mentioning it since last year but seems to fall on deaf ears.

Mike

411ninja

Hi Mike, this seems like something we should have discussion on, and I think you have some good points. I do think there may be some barriers we need to look at as well.
Would you be willing to send Dave or I an email so that we can get started on putting your ideas and concerns forward at the next meeting? Perhaps we could make arrangements to Skype you into the meeting as well.
Thanks
Tricia
[email protected]

Goatse

I think it's a great idea and should be simple enough to implement.

To keep it simple you could just have Group 4's last session of the day, only open to the top 10 (or 12).

One of the benefits of running in group 4 is less riders. So the slower guys in that group get that benefit all day, and can live with losing 1 session IMO. If a racer wants to be able to run in that last session, they have to pick up their slacks and speed it up a bit. :D

Also, now that there are a few rounds under our belts we can be a bit tighter on the groups because guys don't have an excuse to be in the group they shouldn't be. Lap times from last year don't count anymore, so unless you've run 1:24.5 or quicker this year, then you should not be in Group 4.