Track Attack questions

ehagar

I am hoping to go to a track attack or two before the year is out (I was planning on trying it earlier but work gets in the way *constantly*). I have never been to one before, and have a few questions.

So far I have EMRA membership sent, and a bike that I finished prepping. It's safety wired, no mirrors, lights, and I put water wetter in it (is Engine Ice considered an acceptable alternative?).

What I was wondering is, how are the groups seperated? I noticed in a separate thread there was a racers group and street group... is there a *really rotten* group :p

Brown

Yes, Engine Ice is okay. (Any non-glycol based coolant). Safety wiring is not a requirement for track days but it is a really good idea. All lenses must be taped. And the only other requirement is proper riding gear.

There are 3 groups. Race, Fast Street and Slow Street. If this is your first time you will be part of the slow street group. Slow street groups are paced (follow the leader) by a volunteer for the first couple sessions. This is to show you the proper race lines and all the features of the track. Then after 2 or 3 paced sessions you are set free to ride at your own pace. Each session is 10 minutes long, it doesnt seem like much time but it really is. The next time you can move up to the fast street group if you feel comfortable.

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions or need help feel free to pm me. Later!

Adam

Carver

Here's another Track Attack newb question, what would be a good starting tire pressure for Pirelli Supercorsa 120/180?
Thanks

Brown

Its so tough to say an exact number. When I first started I rode to the track and didnt change my pressure at all from the street (31psi front and 31psi rear). Now that I have a track bike I constantly change the pressure depending on track temperature. The best advise I can give is you will want a hot temperature of 31psi in the front and 30psi in the rear. There are lots of people at the track who ride Pirelli's who can tell you exactly what they run for pressures. But to answer your question (finally) I would show up with 30psi in each tire, ride and let the tires heat up, then take the pressure and let some air out to get to the 31 front and 30 rear pressures.

Hope this helps! Adam

Carver

Thanks Adam, my daily street ride is at manufacturer's recommended 36 front and 42 rear that's why I posed the question.

YZF1000jon

That's a good street pressure, but lower pressure at the track will let the carcass flex and the tire warm up very quickly. Always give yourself at least 2 easy laps every session to warm up your tires and get your focus back on the track again.