Track bike conversion

jmanchuk

I recently bailed at the track and damaged the key ignition switch on my stock '05 R1 along with rest of the front end cosmetic components - can anyone give any tips on converting it to a track bike. I'm currently trying to figure out how much of the wiring system (ignition, ECU etc...) I'll need to replace to bypass the immobilizer system.

Thanks,
J

macbayne

I recently bailed at the track and damaged the key ignition switch on my stock '05 R1 along with rest of the front end cosmetic components - can anyone give any tips on converting it to a track bike. I'm currently trying to figure out how much of the wiring system (ignition, ECU etc...) I'll need to replace to bypass the immobilizer system.

Thanks,
J

the r1 forum is probably the best spot to get this info.

yak

Please don't cut any wires without talking to someone locally first.

madmax

Thanks,
J

Was that you that highside in 9? if it was i can tell u exactly what went wrong there i was inches behind u.

jmanchuk

Please don't cut any wires without talking to someone locally first.

The crash ended up cutting one of the wires from the key ignition switch, and one of the resistors on the chip board in the key switch broke off - I'm pretty sure this engaged the immobilizer because now there is no spark, although the bike turns over still and the fuel pump still works.

jmanchuk

There's a local guy parting out an 05 R1.

It might be easier/cheaper to buy his ignition, ECM, and cluster than to get around the immobilizer on yours.

That's if his ignition is still intact.

Edit: Here's the thread,

http://www.edmontonsportriderz.com/forumvb/showthread.php?t=34418

Looks like his is probably toast too.

Thanks for the info - I think I tracked a system down off a part-out in the US. That R1 forum has been a pretty good source.